Independence Day: Resurgence (ID2)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
At least they made an attempt to explain it. Most movies wouldn't do that.

True, but the movie isn't explaining it. I mean, when you need additional interactive information on a movie's website before it comes out to understand expositional information, well, you're not doing a good job. I'd almost rather they just ignored it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True, but the movie isn't explaining it. I mean, when you need additional interactive information on a movie's website before it comes out to understand expositional information, well, you're not doing a good job. I'd almost rather they just ignored it.

That's marketing and makes it more than just a movie. Say what you will about the movie, but going as far back as Blair Witch Project took that to full advantage. I certainly don't mind a movie not being so self-contained.

If you're lazy and don't care about the other extra stuff, then don't watch. You wouldn't even know about it if you didn't read this thread, so the complaining is a little ridiculous.

I don't see why you think anybody "needs" anything. It's like an easter egg. So what?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Considering we haven't seen the movie - how do we know whether they reference it in the film or not? If the character's widow and son are in the film...it would only make sense that they reference his character's death at some point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Considering we haven't seen the movie - how do we know whether they reference it in the film or not? If the character's widow and son are in the film...it would only make sense that they reference his character's death at some point.

That's a great point.

Stout

Reaction score

That would make perfect sense. Look, if this is just an extra and not something the narrative of the actual movie relies on, then cool. That's not the way I read it, though. I could be wrong--it's happened before lol I wasn't planning on watching it anyway. I was just offering a comment on what has been presented so far.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the movie looks pretty damn good. Pretty lame how they dealt with Smith's character though.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the movie looks pretty damn good. Pretty lame how they dealt with Smith's character though.

I think it is lame that he didn't want to come back for the sequel to the movie that is credited with launching his career to the next level. He killed his character off with that decision. They just made it official. :D

Seriously though - they HAD to kill his character. He was so important to the first movie that it would have been lame to have another world crisis and just ignore his character completely or say he was now lazy or disinterested and didn't want to help save the world this time around...

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score

I thought if you watched the trailer there was a news story image about this too saying he died. So it wasn't just on the movie website.

--EDIT Guess Not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... The trailers for this movie look like they just completely ignored what made the first one so watchable. It was the ultimate tub of popcorn, smothered in cheese.

This just doesn't look fun in the least.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Man... The trailers for this movie look like they just completely ignored what made the first one so watchable. It was the ultimate tub of popcorn, smothered in cheese.

What did the miss?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

the "Insurmountable odds" element appears to have been completely thrown away with this one. "Earth is doomed" is generally a better storyline than "Let's kick alien butt"
It is rare for a movie this big to come out and before a single review I have already decided it will be a dvd for me and not a theater trip.

the "alien speaking through a strangled human"....did not need to happen again...and indicates a pattern of weak writing....as does... "scared cable guy in space"

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am hoping it's fun. However, when I heard Will Smith wasn't returning I knew the tone of the movie would be completely different. I hope it's still popcorn type fun.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My film friend let me in on the fact that they aren't screening this for critics, which is usually a death knell for a movie.

In the winter and fall, sure. But this is a summer blockbuster that will almost certainly make millions anyway. This is one of those "critic-proof" movies that is released every so often. Jurassic World was the same (not saying ID42 will make Jurassic World money, just that there also was no reason to screen that movie for critics before it opened).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the winter and fall, sure. But this is a summer blockbuster that will almost certainly make millions anyway. This is one of those "critic-proof" movies that is released every so often. Jurassic World was the same (not saying ID42 will make Jurassic World money, just that there also was no reason to screen that movie for critics before it opened).

I thought Jurassic World was screened before it opened.

Forbes had a really good article about the non-screening of this one... a guy who reviews movies and chronicles box office for a living, calling it "unquestionably shocking for a film of this size not to screen early":

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...ews-may-not-mean-low-box-office/#23b0daf22428

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, critics reviews are popping up on RT (and so far aren't disastrous)?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, critics reviews are popping up on RT (and so far aren't disastrous)?

yeah... I'm confused now also. So far it's at 54%.

I think it ends up as one of the more disappointing movies box office wise of the summer. Maybe makes 150 domestic.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am hoping it's fun. However, when I heard Will Smith wasn't returning I knew the tone of the movie would be completely different. I hope it's still popcorn type fun.

Yeah, a little bummed about why he didn't want to be in this one, but I am glad they are ruling with it and said that he died a few years before where we come in. With all the action that looks to be in this film, why wouldn't you want to see it in a theater, even if its not epic.

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, a little bummed about why he didn't want to be in this one, but I am glad they are ruling with it and said that he died a few years before where we come in. With all the action that looks to be in this film, why wouldn't you want to see it in a theater, even if its not epic.

You just answered your own question there :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is going to be THE bomb of the summer, at least domestically. It's a 175-200 million dollar movie (before P&R) and its tracking at like 45-55 million opening weekend? That will be a disaster.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard