Independence Day: Resurgence (ID2)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Independence Day 2

20th Century Fox has now dated Independence Day 2 for release on—what else—the Fourth of July weekend in 2015. This confirms that the follow-up to Roland Emmerich’s 1996 blockbuster is indeed happening, as the world is not going quietly into the night. ID4 2 is one of two proposed Independence Day sequels currently in development, and Emmerich recently revealed that the films will take place 20 years after the events of the first film, at which point the aliens finally return with reinforcements.

Will Smith is not expected to return, but Bill Pullman will reprise his role as the (now former) President of the United States. However, the story will primarily focus on younger characters with Independence Day 2 ending with a cliffhanger that leads into the third film.

Release Date: July 3, 2015

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Hollywood is completely devoid of creativity. All they have is remakes, sequels, and reboots.

it's not devoid of creativity. it's devoid of courage to make anything original. trust me, there's a lot of creativity here, but damn if corporate america is going to bet billions on it!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liam Hemsworth Eyed to Star in ‘Independence Day’ Sequel

http://www.thewrap.com/liam-hemsworth-eyed-to-star-in-independence-day-sequel-exclusive/

“Hunger Games” star Liam Hemsworth has the offer to star in “Independence Day” sequel “ID Forever,” multiple individuals familiar with the project told TheWrap.

A representative for 20th Century Fox had no comment.

Roland Emmerich is directing the sequel, in which Michael B. Jordan has also been rumored for a role.

Fox hired Carter Blanchard (“Glimmer”) to rewrite the script. James Vanderbilt wrote the first draft of the film, which Emmerich is producing with Dean Devlin and Harald Kloser.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liam Hemsworth Eyed to Star in ‘Independence Day’ Sequel - See more at: http://www.thewrap.com/liam-hemswor...ce-day-sequel-exclusive/#sthash.oAL3ilTf.dpuf

http://www.thewrap.com/liam-hemsworth-eyed-to-star-in-independence-day-sequel-exclusive/

“Hunger Games” star Liam Hemsworth has the offer to star in “Independence Day” sequel “ID Forever,” multiple individuals familiar with the project told TheWrap.

A representative for 20th Century Fox had no comment.

Roland Emmerich is directing the sequel, in which Michael B. Jordan has also been rumored for a role.

Fox hired Carter Blanchard (“Glimmer”) to rewrite the script. James Vanderbilt wrote the first draft of the film, which Emmerich is producing with Dean Devlin and Harald Kloser.

Must not be coming out in 2015 now.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority of looking forward to a sequel. It's completely realistic that if one of your alien ships went missing after trying to takeover earth that you would send more ships. I think it would be stupid to think that wouldn't happen.

So from a storyline perspective it was completely teed up for a sequel and always has been IMO.

Having said that, I don't want some generic sequel for the sake of pulling in the big buck. That is probably what will happen but damn...the first movie was cool when it came out. They will probably ruin it but man...I hope not.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority of looking forward to a sequel. It's completely realistic that if one of your alien ships went missing after trying to takeover earth that you would send more ships. I think it would be stupid to think that wouldn't happen.

So from a storyline perspective it was completely teed up for a sequel and always has been IMO.

Having said that, I don't want some generic sequel for the sake of pulling in the big buck. That is probably what will happen but damn...the first movie was cool when it came out. The will probably ruin it but man...I hope not.

I agree.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a side note, Will smith is now the same age as uncle phil was on the fresh prince of belair.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I look forward to this to. I like the sequels of movies. I'm the kind of guy that never wants a movie to end so I always like when movies have squeals. They just have to be good squeals.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look forward to this to. I like the sequels of movies. I'm the kind of guy that never wants a movie to end so I always like when movies have squeals. They just have to be good squeals.

I know it's a typo (or an autocorrect) but I couldn't help but think there was a great Deliverance joke in there somewhere. Anyway, as for sequels, I like them when the story suggests it but not when it's just the wallet talking. Sequels for Adam Sandler type movies or Hot Tub garbage irritate me but ID4 was calling for a sequel. Deliverance, squeals or not, should never be sequeled or re-booted.

Steve

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Having said that, I don't want some generic sequel for the sake of pulling in the big buck. That is probably what will happen but damn...the first movie was cool when it came out. They will probably ruin it but man...I hope not.

It's been quite awhile since I've seen the film, but my memory is that their entire civilization was on the mother ship. Am I wrong about that? If I'm right, it kinda screws up the reason for the sequel, I would think....

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been quite awhile since I've seen the film, but my memory is that their entire civilization was on the mother ship. Am I wrong about that? If I'm right, it kinda screws up the reason for the sequel, I would think....

I'm pretty sure that was neither said nor implied??

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure that was neither said nor implied??

don't remember that either.

Good memory, UC !!!

Independence Day Aliens

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Independence_Day_Aliens

These aliens are a race of sapient, space-faring creatures which travel from planet to planet like a galactic swarm of locusts, devouring each world's natural resources before moving to the next one, bringing their entire civilization in massive ships.

---

At the end, the aliens were defeated and possibly driven to extinction thanks to the creation of a computer virus which temporarily removed the alien ships' shields, followed by a devastating nuclear attack on their orbiting mother ships.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good memory, UC !!!

Independence Day Aliens

http://aliens.wikia.com/wiki/Independence_Day_Aliens

These aliens are a race of sapient, space-faring creatures which travel from planet to planet like a galactic swarm of locusts, devouring each world's natural resources before moving to the next one, bringing their entire civilization in massive ships.

---

At the end, the aliens were defeated and possibly driven to extinction thanks to the creation of a computer virus which temporarily removed the alien ships' shields, followed by a devastating nuclear attack on their orbiting mother ships.

That's a stretch by someone who wrote the page. I just re-watched that movie. It was neither said nor implied. The only thing that was said is that there race goes from planet to planet in search of resources.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's a stretch by someone who wrote the page. I just re-watched that movie. It was neither said nor implied. The only thing that was said is that there race goes from planet to planet in search of resources.

Well, if the race goes from planet to planet, that implies they were all there. A race = all of one people/species/being.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, Roland Emmerich discussed two sequels:

Roland Emmerich spills 'Independence Day' sequel details

http://www.ew.com/article/2013/03/26/independence-day-sequel

ID Forever Part 1 and ID Forever Part II. The films take place 20 years after the original, when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth. ”The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back,” explains the director, who completed two scripts with Independence Day co-writer Dean Devlin and has given them to White House Down writer-producer James Vanderbilt for a rewrite. ”And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.”

------------------------------

So, regardless of fan interpretations/theories, the movie creators planned sequels as if there was either a home planet or another group (or groups) of ships going around harvesting planets.

I could definitely see the second part of that being true. Their entire race may exist in ships that go around harvesting, but they may split up and go after many worlds at a time.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Thank You!

I hated the first one. One of the most overrated movies of all time IMO. Pure cheese and sucky acting!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if the race goes from planet to planet, that implies they were all there. A race = all of one people/species/being.

The human race made it to the moon. We all didn't go.