Independence Day: Resurgence (ID2)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is going to be THE bomb of the summer, at least domestically. It's a 175-200 million dollar movie (before P&R) and its tracking at like 45-55 million opening weekend? That will be a disaster.

Wouldn't shock me but people sure love spectacles during the summer. I am not predicting a bomb but the movies will probably have a disappointing box office return but make a profit. Kills franchise until the next needless reboot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A movie doesn't have to epic to be good or entertaining. ;)

Quite true but equally true is that you can enjoy a good action flick at home, especially if you have the right equipment. I haven't been in a theater since the 7th time I watched Pulp fiction and I haven't missed it one bit. No phones, no sticky feet, no customer fights or arguments, no cold and flu germs in the air, no annoying conversations at the worst time, no babies crying, no patrons yelling out lines and so on. Sitting 10 feet away from a 70 inch Samsung HD TV with a quality sound system and a wonderful pause button for the occasional bathroom break, all we're missing is the popcorn.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Quite true but equally true is that you can enjoy a good action flick at home, especially if you have the right equipment. I haven't been in a theater since the 7th time I watched Pulp fiction and I haven't missed it one bit. No phones, no sticky feet, no customer fights or arguments, no cold and flu germs in the air, no annoying conversations at the worst time, no babies crying, no patrons yelling out lines and so on. Sitting 10 feet away from a 70 inch Samsung HD TV with a quality sound system and a wonderful pause button for the occasional bathroom break, all we're missing is the popcorn.

my Samsung is only 60' but I feel the same way about most movies.

however IMO certain movies really need to be seen on the big screen in order to get the full scope and experience... Avatar in IMAX 3D was amazing...

horror, suspense, comedy....all just as good in my living room as they are in a theater.... but Star Trek, Star Wars, Avatar..... all much better on the big screen than at home... as for the rest of the experience..

http://www.htmarket.com/mamored8ozp...g5mqohOoRZb-YzGUgep_al0r3l7TMHS7WyxoCuzfw_wcB

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my Samsung is only 60' but I feel the same way about most movies.

however IMO certain movies really need to be seen on the big screen in order to get the full scope and experience... Avatar in IMAX 3D was amazing...

horror, suspense, comedy....all just as good in my living room as they are in a theater.... but Star Trek, Star Wars, Avatar..... all much better on the big screen than at home... as for the rest of the experience..

Well, there are trade-offs with everything. One of the ways we "financed" our move to a true Home Theater setup was by promising an end to our frequent movie trips. It helped that we were sick and tired of sharing the theater with the people we were having to share it with.

I know there are some things we miss out on but for us, we miss out on so many negatives and gain a few positives along the way, we wouldn't go back for any reason. Although the Hot Buttered Popcorn calls out for us every now and then.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well, there are trade-offs with everything. One of the ways we "financed" our move to a true Home Theater setup was by promising an end to our frequent movie trips. It helped that we were sick and tired of sharing the theater with the people we were having to share it with.

I know there are some things we miss out on but for us, we miss out on so many negatives and gain a few positives along the way, we wouldn't go back for any reason. Although the Hot Buttered Popcorn calls out for us every now and then.
yeah...check that link I included in the previous post... problem solver!!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have a dedicated Home Theater room, big screen, projector, sound equipment and all. It's the next best thing to the real movie theater experience. As much as I love my home theater nothing beats the experience of seeing a spectacle like Star Wars or other big tent pole movies at the movie theater. Despite some of the stuff you mentioned above, there is something special about going to the movies to me still even today.

When streaming at home first run movies becomes common and affordable (I think it will someday) there are definitely movies I will prefer to watch at home verses trekking to the Theater. However, some movie experiences at the movie theater just can't be replicated IMO and I hope it never completely goes away.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm coming over with popcorn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Independence Day: Resurgence

Release date: June 24, 2016 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Roland Emmerich
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and destruction, and for some language)
Screenwriters: Carter Blanchard, Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin
Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

Starring: Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, Vivica A. Fox, Brent Spiner, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Jessie Usher, Maika Monroe, Angelababy , William Fichtner, Sela Ward

Plot Summary: We always knew they were coming back. After "Independence Day" redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens’ advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.

You must be registered for see images attach

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I have a dedicated Home Theater room, big screen, projector, sound equipment and all. It's the next best thing to the real movie theater experience. As much as I love my home theater nothing beats the experience of seeing a spectacle like Star Wars or other big tent pole movies at the movie theater. Despite some of the stuff you mentioned above, there is something special about going to the movies to me still even today.

When streaming at home first run movies becomes common and affordable (I think it will someday) there are definitely movies I will prefer to watch at home verses trekking to the Theater. However, some movie experiences at the movie theater just can't be replicated IMO and I hope it never completely goes away.

I agree ...and that is usually how we choose whether or not to go to the movies.....
kinda wish they would bring back drive-ins....I remember Friday nights when we would pack a bunch of people in the car, maybe two in the trunk and eight or ten in the car, and get to see two movies for 3 bucks a carload...was even affordable when it jumped to five bucks a carload...the film rental costs too much for that type of pricing now.... Hollywood studios are rapidly putting theaters out of business
for my family of three it costs us about 100 bucks to go to the theater .. admission, two large popcorns, and three large sodas....a little less if we are not seeing Imax or 3D
when the theater has to charge you 8 bucks for a soda in order to stay profitable it is only a matter of time before folks stop going.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
43 million dollar opening weekend in the states. This is officially a bomb and franchise ender.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
43 million dollar opening weekend in the states. This is officially a bomb and franchise ender.
saw an article...they only did 16.8m opening day,...lol....beat out by the second week of finding dory.... that is a complete disaster.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw an article...they only did 16.8m opening day,...lol....beat out by the second week of finding dory.... that is a complete disaster.

being beaten out by a movie on it's second weekend that probably ends up the box office king of the summer, probably the year and likely ending up as one of the biggest movies of all time isn't a disaster.

ID4 2 making 10 million LESS then the original made 20 YEARS AGO... THAT'S a disaster! Especially when you factor ticket prices skyrocketing, 3D and IMAX screens into the mix.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finding Dory is a tent pole family movie. It should be out the competition for multiple weeks. If it didn't that would be a bigger disaster for Disney.

My son and I are seeing this in a couple hours.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
being beaten out by a movie on it's second weekend that probably ends up the box office king of the summer, probably the year and likely ending up as one of the biggest movies of all time isn't a disaster.

ID4 2 making 10 million LESS then the original made 20 YEARS AGO... THAT'S a disaster! Especially when you factor ticket prices skyrocketing, 3D and IMAX screens into the mix.

disaster either way... one has to wonder what is expected to be released 4th of july weekend that they were scared to go against...Tarzan??.... too many obvious marketing attachments to not release Independence Day 2 on Independence Day

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
disaster either way... one has to wonder what is expected to be released 4th of july weekend that they were scared to go against...Tarzan??.... too many obvious marketing attachments to not release Independence Day 2 on Independence Day

that's a good question. Definitely odd not to release on the 4th weekend, but what they were probably hoping for was a massive opening weekend and then a small dropoff and to dominate the 4th as well with nothing else really on the schedule.

I'm actually seeing Tarzan on the lot on Tuesday. My buddy's father runs the Edgar Rice Burroughs company and we got to do the same thing for John Carter. I'm hoping the results are different for them this time... but I fear they're looking at another massive bomb.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So, my buddy didn't want to see Free State of Jones, so he convinced me to give this a go instead. Well, both of us were lucky to fall asleep for a while, because this one was so bloody awful. It truly deserves one of my long, scathing reviews. Honestly, it's just not worth the effort. I'll just say it's bad, and won't possibly get any of the sequels it tried to set itself up for.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
that's a good question. Definitely odd not to release on the 4th weekend, but what they were probably hoping for was a massive opening weekend and then a small dropoff and to dominate the 4th as well with nothing else really on the schedule.

I'm actually seeing Tarzan on the lot on Tuesday. My buddy's father runs the Edgar Rice Burroughs company and we got to do the same thing for John Carter. I'm hoping the results are different for them this time... but I fear they're looking at another massive bomb.

The studio really screwed the pooch with John Carter...perhaps even a simple change like,..."John Carter: Warlord of Mars" would have made a difference.... the warlord series was awesome and has so much potential for the big screen....but every attempt at movies has failed...

Tarzan on the other hand...I believe will be a success....kinda a combination of Indiana Jones meets Jurrasic World kinda thing... looks extremely entertaining...even the ol'lady wants to go see it.... based on trailers,...this Tarzan looks to be superior to any we have seen...at the very least since Greystoke.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entertaining popcorn movie if that's all you expect which is exactly that. Yes, the script wasn't very good. Yes, it lacked originality. Yes, it was pretty much a sequel just to have a sequel. By all account I should have hated this movie. I simply didn't. My son and I thought it was entertaining. Just like B v S, I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the critics said it was despite it's many problems.

I don't know...I think people have forgotten how to have mindless fun at the movies. Every movie now gets bad reviews unless it's had a plot twist, the best story ever or something along those lines. If this movie had come out in the 80's I think far fewer people are ripping it. Either that or I was just in a very generous and neutral mood today.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And yet Emerich is already pimping ID3 plot details.

The first one was novel in all of the landmark destruction and alien ship shadows over the cities, but I never really liked it. Then again, I don't know if there are any Emerich movies I like 'cept Stargate.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The first one was novel in all of the landmark destruction and alien ship shadows over the cities, but I never really liked it. Then again, I don't know if there are any Emerich movies I like 'cept Stargate.

He can pimp them but I don't see it happening unless the movie has a major turnaround. Not to mention that in the movie:

The impression you get is that they will now take the fight to the aliens. There is a resistance planet with survivors of species destroyed by the aliens. It would have a totally different feel and not really be Independence day any longer.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

He has a few that are okay.

The Patriot
Anonymous (probably his best)
Stargate
Independence Day
Universal Soldier (guilty pleasure)

But he also has some stinkers like The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and 10,000 BC.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has a few that are okay.

The Patriot
Anonymous (probably his best)
Stargate
Independence Day
Universal Soldier (guilty pleasure)

But he also has some stinkers like The Day After Tomorrow, 2012 and 10,000 BC.

I like the list above (Universal Solider also a guilty pleasure) but add The Day After Tomorrow to that list for me. I am a sucker for disaster flicks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he's drinking drano if he thinks they're green lighting ID4 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard