If the Suns have the #2 pick, who should they pick?

Suns have the #2 pick, Ayton was taken #1, who should they take with that pick?

• Marvin Bagley - PF - Duke

• Luka Doncic - G - Europe

• Michael Porter Jr - F - Missouri

• Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma

• Mo Bamba - C - Texas

• Jaren Jackson Jr - C/F - Michigan St

• Select Someone Else/Trade For A Veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching this tournament progress, I might consider taking Bagley #1. Ayton has all the measurables. But Bagley just seems to produce ALL the time. I would play him at pf or center without reservation.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I kind of thought that we'd already replaced Len with Williams and it's a starting center we're most in need of? And then a starting power forward followed by a starting point guard. Top it off with a starting small forward that can make 3's at a fair clip (hopefully that will eventually be Josh). Oh and a head coach that understands defense and knows how to teach it. Also, one that is smart enough to not play Booker at the 1 very much and not play him at all if he's much less than 100%. Then, we just need 4 or 5 NBA level players to guard our bench for us.
I haven't read anything about Williams being our starting Center. Because of his height, he might be an outstanding backup C vs. a starter. I guess time will tell.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I haven't read anything about Williams being our starting Center. Because of his height, he might be an outstanding backup C vs. a starter. I guess time will tell.

Len is not, and has never been a starting Center. He is gone after this year. His tenure with the Suns was over once he couldn't beat Williams for the starting spot once Chandler was shut down last year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Len is not, and has never been a starting Center. He is gone after this year. His tenure with the Suns was over once he couldn't beat Williams for the starting spot once Chandler was shut down last year.
Absolutely. Which is why I feel that drafting a starting Center should be our top priority vs. using that pick on a Point Guard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching this tournament progress, I might consider taking Bagley #1. Ayton has all the measurables. But Bagley just seems to produce ALL the time. I would play him at pf or center without reservation.

One thing to caution here is that Bagley is getting coaching from quite possibly the best college coach ever, whereas Ayton is getting nothing from the an incredibly over-rated an underachieving coach who has no idea what to do with him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not sure that would get I.T done... too far away (with knowing Riles always has that team at least mediocre) me thinks for a team drafting in top ten.
3 likely mid-first round picks? I don’t think anyone would trade 15, 16 and a likely top 10 players pick for young.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 likely mid-first round picks? I don’t think anyone would trade 15, 16 and a likely top 10 players pick for young.

That’s why I don’t think Miami’s 2021 Pick moves the needle. I.T would have to be ours next year, with like top 3 protection

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was my point. We need a starting center, not a Len replacement. Williams has already claimed the backup role IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we got Ayton number 1 then I'd give up quite a bit to jump back into the top 8 and grab Young. I still feel that he is a future star, you cannot teach the kind of court vision and craftiness he displayed often this season.

I'd totally give up a top 3-5 protected pick next year and the Miami and Milwaukee picks if it ensured us a core of Ayton, Young, Jackson and Booker.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we got Ayton number 1 then I'd give up quite a bit to jump back into the top 8 and grab Young. I still feel that he is a future star, you cannot teach the kind of court vision and craftiness he displayed often this season.

I'd totally give up a top 3-5 protected pick next year and the Miami and Milwaukee picks if it ensured us a core of Ayton, Young, Jackson and Booker.
Again. I would also be excited about Bagley, Young, Jackson, and Booker. Even Carter, Young, Jackson and Booker would be good.

Cheese, point well taken about Bagley having a better coach than Ayton. I still like Bagley a lot. Grant Hill average 17 and 7 as a senior at Duke. Christian Laettner, who according to some is the best COLLEGE basketball player in Duke history averaged 21 and 8. Bagley is breathing some rare air as a college freshman.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my point. We need a starting center, not a Len replacement. Williams has already claimed the backup role IMO.

We agree.

The Suns talk about needing a center as perhaps their highest priority and Williams is already on the roster. So I think they are talking about needing a starting center.

As it stands now, Williams and Chandler should be backup centers unless they want a gradual transition if they draft a center.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want to trade the suns pick next year but maybe throw in Miami 2021 to the 15/16 picks.

That's a lot though. If the Suns trade the unprotected Miami pick, it's going to be good... it's the Suns way.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we should take a center first too. The question is if we end up picking 3 or 4. If we are at 4 and Ayton, Bagley and Doncic are gone ?

What then?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think we should take a center first too. The question is if we end up picking 3 or 4. If we are at 4 and Ayton, Bagley and Doncic are gone ?

What then?

Easy! You take JJJ. That gives you two big guys who can defend, shoot, and switch out on smaller guys on the perimeter. Then you hope like hell they both (JJJ and Bender) figure out how to be aggressive.

Alternatively, you say "screw defense" and take Young.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy! You take JJJ. That gives you two big guys who can defend, shoot, and switch out on smaller guys on the perimeter. Then you hope like hell they both (JJJ and Bender) figure out how to be aggressive.

I'm beginning to think that team defense is more of a coached thing. The Suns need players that can do both but minimally shoot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am not sold on JJJ. I've watched several of his games and I am not impressed. Using your logic, I would probably take Bamba instead.

I get not taking Young at 4. The defense is a real thing. But his offense is a real thing too. Ugh. I don't know.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not sold on JJJ. I've watched several of his games and I am not impressed. Using your logic, I would probably take Bamba instead.

I get not taking Young at 4. The defense is a real thing. But his offense is a real thing too. Ugh. I don't know.

Neither am I. I'm down for Ayton, Bagley or Young. If we miss on all 3, I'm down for some anti-depressants unless Doncic tears it up in private workouts.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither am I. I'm down for Ayton, Bagley or Young. If we miss on all 3, I'm down for some anti-depressants unless Doncic tears it up in private workouts.

Here is to hoping the Suns get one of the top three picks. :wink2:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is to hoping the Suns get two of the top three picks. Get me Ayton/Bagley AND Young and maybe I won't have to increase my THC intake.

If the Suns could have two of the three, I would take Ayton and Bagley.

Does this make me a bad person. :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I will hold on Ayton and Bagley.

Really? You'd take Ayton and Bagley over Bagley, Carter and Young? I was thinking that trio would set us up nicely for the future. I'm not too sure how Ayton and Bagley would mix? Unfortunately, we likely have zero chance to get more than 1 of that group so it's all moot.