If the Suns have the #2 pick, who should they pick?

Suns have the #2 pick, Ayton was taken #1, who should they take with that pick?

• Marvin Bagley - PF - Duke

• Luka Doncic - G - Europe

• Michael Porter Jr - F - Missouri

• Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma

• Mo Bamba - C - Texas

• Jaren Jackson Jr - C/F - Michigan St

• Select Someone Else/Trade For A Veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone here hopes that the Suns can get Ayton in the draft, somehow, whether by landing the #1 pick themselves or trading up to be able to select him but if that isn't possible, what would you like to see the Suns do with the #2 pick?

As of right now the Suns have the best odds of getting the #2 pick, they're actually tied with Memphis for the #1 pick but Memphis has 1 less win and loss than the Suns do. The Grizzlies are 18-49 while the Suns record is 19-50, so they have the advantage with 1 less win. It will be hard to catch them at this point. They have lost their last 18 games and they may lose their final 15 with how poorly they're playing. So assuming the Suns finish with the 2nd worst record and get the #2 pick and Ayton was selected #1 and the team that took him is not interested in trading him, who should the Suns take at #2 overall?

I listed the top 6 prospects after Ayton that should be on the board and "Other/Trade" option, if you select other then who would you choose? If you think they should trade it, what do you think they can get in return? Don't complicate things trying to trade down a couple spots and also get a player from whoever they trade with, if they trade the pick it should be for a player, not another lottery pick. I left off a couple of players that have been mentioned in the top 5 lately like Wendall Carter, Collin Sexton, and Mikal Bridges but I can't see them going #2 unless they have great tournaments. The players listed are who has been at the top of the draft board all season. If you think they should take one of them, that's what the other option is there for. List who they should take in the comments. If you think they should trade the pick, what sort of player should they target, a veteran Center, a veteran PG? Be specific in that regard. We don't know who may be available but you should know what sort of player they should be trying to get if they're looking to trade out. This is projected to be the best draft class since 2003 when Lebron, Wade, Melo, and Bosh were all taken at the top of that draft so the #2 pick should be pretty valuable, even after Ayton there are a lot of good players still available, but how valuable the pick would be in a trade is questionable. I don't think they could get someone better than what they could draft.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bagley. He has lived up to the expectations and has the motor / drive to get better.

That is who I'd go with also. He is from Tempe so there is a good story behind drafting him also. That isn't a reason to draft him alone but I think he's also the most NBA ready out of the college players coming into the league also. Playing for Duke he's accustomed to winning and the Suns need to start building a winning culture, even if they're not a playoff next year. Like you said he's got a high motor also and should continue to get better at the next stage. He has the potential to have a good tournament also since Duke typically makes it pretty far.

We have Bender and Chriss as PF's but Bender's future may be as a Center based on what we've seen from him lately and Chriss has regressed compared to last season, and he wasn't that good last year either. Neither is good enough to pass on a good prospect because they're on the team. I can see not signing a veteran to take their minutes but when it comes to the draft you take the best player available and that's Bagley, IMO.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I trade back a pick or two and take Bamba. I just don't see it in Bagley.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Opinions that I have to pay to read may as well not exist. I'm not that interested.

Truly... why pay to read one site's opinion when there are dozens of other sites with equally valid speculative takes that you can read for free? It's not like they have any more insight than anyone else doing the same thing.

PS - my pick for the second pick is Bagley, too.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I voted for Doncic. I know that's an unpopular opinion with many, but I'm a fan.

Euros are typically unpopular picks with a lot of fans every year (sometimes deservedly so and sometimes not).

Historically, I've tried to focus on the specific prospect.

For reference, I was:

1. Very high on Porzingis and thought NY fans were crazy for booing that pick.
2. Medium on Bender (I was good with the pick but would have taken Murray even though the fit was questionable).

So I guess you could say I'm more positive on Euros than most, but I'm also more positive on prospects in general, so it evens out.

With Doncic, I think the athletic concerns are hugely overblown and I think he's special. I'm willing to concede I could be wrong, but he'd be my pick at 2 for sure.

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I trade back a pick or two and take Bamba. I just don't see it in Bagley.

I'd take Bagley but if they traded down for Bamba I'd understand it. Outside of Ayton I think Bamba has the highest upside but less polish right now.

I still have to take Bagley though. He is more ready and has decent upside in his own right.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bagley.

Then trade both our other picks and Miami's 2021 pick to get back into the high lotto where we can take either Young or Doncic.

I don't think our picks alone would get that done in this draft. The top talent is too valuable.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bagley just seems to give us exactly what we need. He scores, defends, rebounds, passes and plays defense all on good levels. Getting him would allow us to move Warren to the bench as a sixth man.

If we get Bamba yeah he could defend and grab boards better than Bagley but his limited offense would mean we have to keep Warren starting for offensive punch with Booker.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is tough. Bagley is probably the most ready to contribute now, but I just don't like his defense, and outside of rebounding, he doesn't do anything extremely well. Bamba is dangerous- for every Gobert, there is a Bismack Biyombo. I do like that he has some sort of a jumper already, though!
I really like JJJ- he already defends well, and has a decent shot. He reminds me of Bender in good ways and in bad ways too. If they both get some confidence, they would make a scary PF/C duo. I like Porter and Doncic, but I am not sure where they play on the current roster. I am also still high on Young, defense be damned.

I may test the waters and see if I could turn #2, along with other picks into two top-seven picks somehow and end up with two of these players.

If I had to pick at #2, I am probably playing it safe, and taking Begley. If I have #2, AND I can get another top 5 or 6, I am probably taking Doncic and whichever big man drops to where I am picking again.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Bagley just seems to give us exactly what we need. He scores, defends, rebounds, passes and plays defense all on good levels. Getting him would allow us to move Warren to the bench as a sixth man.

If we get Bamba yeah he could defend and grab boards better than Bagley but his limited offense would mean we have to keep Warren starting for offensive punch with Booker.

Maybe my perception is off, and maybe I watched him on bad days, but he did not play defense when I watched him play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the moment, I guess I would go for Bagley at #2 based on what I've seen and read.

Definitely want to see some of the top players play in the NCAA tournament before making my decision. The Suns might be able to snag a center with the Heat pick.

I'd not opposed to trading down from the #2 pick a notch or two for more assets to use in a trade.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe my perception is off, and maybe I watched him on bad days, but he did not play defense when I watched him play.

Then you would know probably better than me because I'm going on what I read because I haven't watched him play.

That probably makes the case for Bamba even stronger then...unless we want to throw the farm at Ayton.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Then you would know probably better than me because I'm going on what I read because I haven't watched him play.

That probably makes the case for Bamba even stronger then...unless we want to throw the farm at Ayton.

Honestly, my perception is based on four or five games, so who knows. I could very well be wrong too. Regardless of his defense, I'd probably still take him at #2 if Ayton is gone and I didn't have additional top-five picks.