If the Suns have the #2 pick, who should they pick?

Suns have the #2 pick, Ayton was taken #1, who should they take with that pick?

• Marvin Bagley - PF - Duke

• Luka Doncic - G - Europe

• Michael Porter Jr - F - Missouri

• Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma

• Mo Bamba - C - Texas

• Jaren Jackson Jr - C/F - Michigan St

• Select Someone Else/Trade For A Veteran

Results are only viewable after voting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think the needs are center, pg, pf in that order. But it’s just a quibble. Not sure it matters. Just take the best player that fills that need.

Well, I think we're better off at PG than PF even without Payton. But given that PG is a more important position in today's NBA, it would make sense to prioritize it the way you have it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am just trying to keep a clear head with regard to Payton. He distributes and we have not had that forever. But he cant shoot or defend. Orlando played really well early in the season when he was out. The Suns have played their worst ball of the year with him running the point. But they are tanking so its hard to evaluate. His three point shooting is just horrible. He is Ricky Rubio without the defense.

We have Isaiah Canaan hanging around. Shaq and BK are here too. Not sure its worth giving Elfrid $8 million a year. We have plenty of backup level pg's. We need a quality, higher level starter. Its not Payton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is easier to replace a PG that center or PF so I'm kind of hoping the Suns draft a big man with their pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to keep a clear head with regard to Payton. He distributes and we have not had that forever. But he cant shoot or defend. Orlando played really well early in the season when he was out. The Suns have played their worst ball of the year with him running the point. But they are tanking so its hard to evaluate. His three point shooting is just horrible. He is Ricky Rubio without the defense.

We have Isaiah Canaan hanging around. Shaq and BK are here too. Not sure its worth giving Elfrid $8 million a year. We have plenty of backup level pg's. We need a quality, higher level starter. Its not Payton.

I think Payton is most likely to get the best contract offer from the Suns so maybe the Suns get him for less.

His current value is a second round pick.

I do think the Suns need to draft a PG somewhere in the draft.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-doubting-trae-young-after-ncaa-tourney-exit

Young seems to be sliding fast. We will see. The ideal situation would be for him to slide to the level that we can combine 15 and 16 and get Young, and draft Ayton or Bagley with our own pick.

I am happy about Young's play at the end of the year. I was hoping it would happen. It makes him more attainable.

That would be fantastic.

It would be great if the Suns could get Young with the Heat or Bucks pick. May not have to combine those picks.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It would be great if the Suns could get Young with the Heat or Bucks pick. May not have to combine those picks.

I would be shocked if he goes that low.

Players you could make a case for being picked ahead of Young:

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Luka Doncic
3. Marvin Bagley III
4. Jaren Jackson Jr.
5. Mohamed Bamba
6. Michael Porter Jr.
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Wendell Carter
9. Collin Sexton
10. Miles Bridges

I think it's pretty hard to make a case for anyone else, even if you're really low on Young.

The next group would be Gilgeous-Alexander, Robert Williams, Kevin Knox, etc. Not worth it. I just can't imagine Young falling past 11. I think more than likely he goes somewhere between 5-9.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be shocked if he goes that low.

Players you could make a case for being picked ahead of Young:

1. Deandre Ayton
2. Luka Doncic
3. Marvin Bagley III
4. Jaren Jackson Jr.
5. Mohamed Bamba
6. Michael Porter Jr.
7. Mikal Bridges
8. Wendell Carter
9. Collin Sexton
10. Miles Bridges

I think it's pretty hard to make a case for anyone else, even if you're really low on Young.

The next group would be Gilgeous-Alexander, Robert Williams, Kevin Knox, etc. Not worth it. I just can't imagine Young falling past 11. I think more than likely he goes somewhere between 5-9.

A case of me being overly optimistic. LOL

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, he is not sliding to #15, After top 7, someone's going to take a chance on him before the Suns pick at #15 or #16.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot see how he can fall that far, unless his workouts are horrible. Maybe Booker can convince not to work out for anyone.

Maybe 8-10. The 15 and 16 might get the Suns up that high. But you really have to look at the teams picking in that range to see if they might really want him.

New York, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit. I could see every one of those teams wanting him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot see how he can fall that far, unless his workouts are horrible. Maybe Booker can convince not to work out for anyone.

Maybe 8-10. The 15 and 16 might get the Suns up that high. But you really have to look at the teams picking in that range to see if they might really want him.

New York, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit. I could see every one of those teams wanting him.

I don't either but if Young starts to slide maybe the Suns can get him but it would likely take another first rounder to do it. I was being overly optimistic that he would slide to 15 or 16.

Not pertaining to Young, but I wonder if the Suns added their second round pick to 15 or 16 it would do anything. Maybe push them up a a notch or two if there is a player they like in that area.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't either but if Young starts to slide maybe the Suns can get him but it would likely take another first rounder to do it. I was being overly optimistic that he would slide to 15 or 16.

Not pertaining to Young, but I wonder if the Suns added their second round pick to 15 or 16 it would do anything. Maybe push them up a a notch or two if there is a player they like in that area.
I think it would. It could be one of the top three picks in the second round. There will be some very good players available in that range.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it would. It could be one of the top three picks in the second round. There will be some very good players available in that range.

Since the Suns do not need all their draft picks I could see it happening for a player that slides not named Young.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really like both Bagley & Wendell Carter. Hopefully, PHX can land at #2, take Bagley, and then they can package picks to get a second Top 10 pick to take Carter.

Carter
Bagley
Jackson
Booker
Payton

That would be a nice starting 5 that can develop into a playoff contender in a couple of years. Of course PHX could add pieces in FA but Carter & Bagley are the main reason DUKE will end up in Final Four, if they weren't in the same bracket as NOVA they would be in title game but I don't think they beat NOVA unless NOVA gets ousted before they would meet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he is not sliding to #15, After top 7, someone's going to take a chance on him before the Suns pick at #15 or #16.

Agreed.

Would you package those two picks and maybe our first top 3 protected next year? If that gamble paid off and we came away with a shooter/distributor at PG alongside either Ayton or Bagley to be our young big, we might have all the pieces of the puzzle to put together for a legit team on the rise in a couple years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like both Bagley & Wendell Carter. Hopefully, PHX can land at #2, take Bagley, and then they can package picks to get a second Top 10 pick to take Carter.

Carter
Bagley
Jackson
Booker
Payton

That would be a nice starting 5 that can develop into a playoff contender in a couple of years. Of course PHX could add pieces in FA but Carter & Bagley are the main reason DUKE will end up in Final Four, if they weren't in the same bracket as NOVA they would be in title game but I don't think they beat NOVA unless NOVA gets ousted before they would meet.

This would fix the Suns front court. Can't fix everything at once.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-doubting-trae-young-after-ncaa-tourney-exit

Young seems to be sliding fast. We will see. The ideal situation would be for him to slide to the level that we can combine 15 and 16 and get Young, and draft Ayton or Bagley with our own pick.

I am happy about Young's play at the end of the year. I was hoping it would happen. It makes him more attainable.
That’s a fascinating and insightful read and it reiterated my concerns. He IS ball dominant and that might be a problem if he add a superstar big to alongside a prolific scorer like Booker. That said, I’m 100% willing to exchange the heat/bucks picks for him alongside our first pick. Worth the risk.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Philadelphia owns the Lakers pick and the Clippers own Detroits pick, giving each 2 picks in this draft. The Clippers may end up with 2 picks late in the lottery, similar to how the Suns could have 2 picks in the teens. That might hurt the Suns chances of packaging their picks to move up if they decide to do the same thing. Right now they have the #11 and #13 picks, which would beat out #15 and #16 in a trade. Hopefully they aren't looking to package theirs to move up. I can't see them being interested in 3 picks in the teens either if Phoenix tried trading their picks for the top pick they have.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Maybe not Chicago with Dunn and lavine

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I wouldn’t want to trade the suns pick next year but maybe throw in Miami 2021 to the 15/16 picks.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Agreed.

Would you package those two picks and maybe our first top 3 protected next year? If that gamble paid off and we came away with a shooter/distributor at PG alongside either Ayton or Bagley to be our young big, we might have all the pieces of the puzzle to put together for a legit team on the rise in a couple years.

I would not trade our own pick. I could be convinced to trade the unprotected Miami pick, though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not trade our own pick. I could be convinced to trade the unprotected Miami pick, though.

Not sure that would get I.T done... too far away (with knowing Riles always has that team at least mediocre) me thinks for a team drafting in top ten.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s a fascinating and insightful read and it reiterated my concerns. He IS ball dominant and that might be a problem if he add a superstar big to alongside a prolific scorer like Booker. That said, I’m 100% willing to exchange the heat/bucks picks for him alongside our first pick. Worth the risk.
He is ball dominant, but he has to be on that team. Its a near miracle he got so many assists. I do not think he has to be ball dominant. He could easily switch to a Steve Nash, pass first but shoot often, type of pg. His vision is incredible.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The Suns should only trade that pick in a deal with some protection. Offer the lesser of picks between our own and Miami's. That way if it ends up really high the Suns don't lose out. The 76'ers have put similar protection on the Lakers pick they traded to Boston to get the #1 pick last year. They only had to hand it over if it was #2-5 otherwise they were sending them a different pick. So it had protection like the Milwaukee pick, covering it a few different ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard