If the right player is there when we pick, which order would you prefer most?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
R1 - TE/WR (Howard would be my #1 game changer to draft, top WR if he is gone)
R2 - CB (gotta get that other starting CB we have been missing for years now. R2 is perfect for that.)
R3 - ILB (a caliber ILB who can mature into a good starter in Rs 3-4, unless Kizer should fall to us here)
R4 - QB (here is where we should look for the next Tom Brady, not in the early rounds, ie. Dobbs, Kaaya. Let the other teams be disappointed in wasting a high pick on one of those "top" QBs. Next year's QB class will be tons better than this one according to all the pundits, so a Dobbs or Kaaya isn't a do or die gamble with a R4 pick this year.)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so,....who are these badass QB's who are supposed to take the nfl by storm next year??
Because I remember hearing the same thing about goff and wentz...wait till next year as the players will be better...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
so,....who are these badass QB's who are supposed to take the nfl by storm next year??
Because I remember hearing the same thing about goff and wentz...wait till next year as the players will be better...

Every single year.

"Just wait guys! X is going to be great!"

12 months later, they've all played in spread offenses and are terrible. Remember when Jake Locker was supposed to be the best thing ever?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Every single year.

"Just wait guys! X is going to be great!"

12 months later, they've all played in spread offenses and are terrible. Remember when Jake Locker was supposed to be the best thing ever?
see, I remember "suck for Luck" ...and "get ready for Teddy".... because those two were clear cut solid QB's...... but most years those clear cut QB's just aint there

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
see, I remember "suck for Luck" ...and "get ready for Teddy".... because those two were clear cut solid QB's...... but most years those clear cut QB's just aint there

"Suck for Luck" has pretty much been the only clear example of a clear cut top-tier talent that has been a top QB throughout his career and has remained the clear #1 overall pick. Teddy is a perfect example of the "wait until next year" issue. Everyone was ready for him to go #1 overall, then that draft came, and he lasted to the 2nd round because people were unsure. And before the injury, he was solid, but not a world beater.

My point is, I can't remember a recent year where anyone has said "this is the year of the quarterback! Pick them now, because they're here and abundant!"

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Winston marriotta?

I guess Winston did have a lot of hype built up in his career, but that crab leg incident was a huge blemish, and Mariota had some question marks about being NFL-ready, but I will give you that at least they were top tier.

The thing is, and more relevant to this argument - outside of those top-two picks, the rest of the class, and most classes, was considered to be garbage. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-draft-the-skinny-on-this-years-quarterbacks

It doesn't quite matter to the Cardinals if there's going to be two all-time prospects available that will be drafted #1 and #2, because we won't be picking there. If I'm the 49ers/Browns/Jets, okay, maybe the argument holds up, but as I've said, if we're picking #1 or #2 next year, BASK won't be here.

There haven't been drafts with multiple good QBs spread throughout since 2004, so pretending the next class of superstars is just one year away every year is an exercise in futility. You need to eventually take the plunge.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Winston did have a lot of hype built up in his career, but that crab leg incident was a huge blemish, and Mariota had some question marks about being NFL-ready, but I will give you that at least they were top tier.

The thing is, and more relevant to this argument - outside of those top-two picks, the rest of the class, and most classes, was considered to be garbage. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-draft-the-skinny-on-this-years-quarterbacks

It doesn't quite matter to the Cardinals if there's going to be two all-time prospects available that will be drafted #1 and #2, because we won't be picking there. If I'm the 49ers/Browns/Jets, okay, maybe the argument holds up, but as I've said, if we're picking #1 or #2 next year, BASK won't be here.

There haven't been drafts with multiple good QBs spread throughout since 2004, so pretending the next class of superstars is just one year away every year is an exercise in futility. You need to eventually take the plunge.

To sum up, let's waste a 1st rd pick this year instead of next year. Gottcha.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
To sum up, let's waste a 1st rd pick this year instead of next year. Gottcha.

No, to sum up, you have to take the plunge eventually, and get your coaches to coach. We have posters on this board who are treating this crop of QBs like they're undrafted free agents, when really there's plenty of teams considering them in the first round right now. There's more talent available at the position at the top of this draft than usual, but not clear-cut, elite talent. But that's still okay - you can't always have an elite talent. We need a competent talent with upside.

To sum up, you miss 100% of shots you don't take, and this team is going to be worse off with zero quarterbacks under contract at the beginning of 2018 than we are drafting one of these top guys and giving him time to grow in our system and inherit the mantle.

The other option is ending up in a bidding war with other teams for the services of Cousins or Garoppolo, assuming they even become available.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, to sum up, you have to take the plunge eventually, and get your coaches to coach. We have posters on this board who are treating this crop of QBs like they're undrafted free agents, when really there's plenty of teams considering them in the first round right now. There's more talent available at the position at the top of this draft than usual, but not clear-cut, elite talent. But that's still okay - you can't always have an elite talent. We need a competent talent with upside.

To sum up, you miss 100% of shots you don't take, and this team is going to be worse off with zero quarterbacks under contract at the beginning of 2018 than we are drafting one of these top guys and giving him time to grow in our system and inherit the mantle.

The other option is ending up in a bidding war with other teams for the services of Cousins or Garoppolo, assuming they even become available.

Good response and the long term QB situation for the Cards concerns me as well. I would actually prefer to get into that bidding war for Cousins or Garoppolo then draft one of this years QB's but if BASK drafts one then I will be hopeful they got it right.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Good response and the long term QB situation for the Cards concerns me as well. I would actually prefer to get into that bidding war for Cousins or Garoppolo then draft one of this years QB's but if BASK drafts one then I will be hopeful they got it right.

I think that getting into a bidding war will severely handicap your salary cap though. If you can somehow find that QB in the draft you have at least 5 years of a cap friendly contract. Could you imagine what BASK could have done with 18 extra mil this year if we had say a Winston or Marriota.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1 WR - the kind the Cards need will be in short supply
2 CB - good value even in round 2
3 TE - again a few goods ones likely still on the board
4 BPA - too hard to guess what is still on board, likely defense

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Great question, SissyBoyFloyd---

My preferences:

1. Trade down to add extra 3rd rounder
1. Take BPA in Round 1. My hopes (one of these 4): LB Haason Reddick, OLB/DE Charles Harris; SS Jabrill Peppers; G Forrest Lamp
2. Take FS in round two -- Budda Baker, Josh Jones, Justin Evans and Marcus Williams will be off the board at #77. Got to take one at #45.
3. Take a CB here, like **** Tabor, Fabian Moreau, Rasul Douglas, Damontae Kazee, Corn Elder, Sidney Jones
3. Take a WR here: Carlos Henderson, Malachi Dupre, Cooper Kupp, Isaiah Ford, Amara Darboh, Ardarius Stewart, Chris Godwin, Josh Reynolds, Taywan Taylor.
4. If QB Joshua Dobbs is here at pick #120 -- take him. Otherwise wait until Round 5 and take Chad Kelly, C.J. Beathard or Jerod Evans.
If Dobbs is taken, I want RB Donnell Pumphrey from San Diego St. or DE/OLB Samson Ebukam, Eastern Washington
5. QB
5. BPA
6. BPA
7. BPA

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's such a trash excuse fans use because they are scared to take risks.

The pundits don't know what the QB class will look like from this time next year. People are so high & mighty on Sam Darnold at the moment, but watch him regress(not saying I want him too) & people going to throw out the same tired excuses next year.

And say if Darnold does live up all the way to the hype & becomes documented as a top 5 pick; unless we do absolutely terrible this upcoming season, how are we going to get him? I don't want to have to trade up.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Here is a few to watch for next year in case we pass this draft.

Here are the top eligible QBs for next year as of right now per Zandrick Ellison from Deep(ish) Thoughts Sports Talk:

(1) Josh Rosen, rising junior, UCLA

The “Chosen One” stepped onto the Westwood campus as a star already touted as a potential #1 pick since high school. He had all the tools — with size at 6’4″ and good arm talent. Rosen absolutely looked the part of a franchise QB early on — winning the QB job as a true freshman and faring well with 23 TDs and 11 ints. This past sophomore season was a clunker, with injuries and a sub 60% completion percentage. All of a sudden, his junior year’s going to be important. He needs a strong season to lock up a top 10 spot. If he regresses, you may start hearing dreaded comparisons to Christian Hackenberg.

(2) Sam Darnold, rising sophomore, USC

Sam Darnold has the tools to make a run at being the first quarterback picked.
It turned out to be Rosen’s cross-town rival that stole the spotlight. With USC struggling at 1-2, coach Clay Helton turned the job over to redshirt freshman Darnold — who took it and ran with it. Dalton lost his first game at Utah but then rallied 9 straight wins for the Trojans. Darnold was lights out through the air, tossing for 67.2% completion, 31 TDs and 9 ints (including 453 yards and 5 touchdowns in the Rose Bowl.) The 6’5″ kid has a huge arm and isn’t afraid to use it to zip the ball down the field. Although he’s only a 19-year-old freshman, Darnold will be eligible for the 2018 draft because he already burnt a redshirt year (players need to be 3 years removed from high school.) Come 2018, Darnold will still be young and relatively inexperienced, but his 2 years as a starter will be double that of Trubisky.

(3) Mason Rudolph, rising senior, Oklahoma State

Unlike the first two QBs, Rudolph was eligible for the draft this year. Projected as a Round 2 or Round 3 pick, he may have risen higher than that. Rudolph has the size (6’5″ 235) and arm strength. He also has productivity: throwing for 4091 yards, 28 TDs, and only 4 ints in his second year as a starter. The only knock on Rudolph was his spread college offense, which would require some extra development. Rudolph decided (or at least, claims so far) that he’s returning for his senior year, which should put him in the national spotlight. OK State and Rudolph should have a big 2017, after which Rudolph will enter the draft with three years of starting experience under his belt.

(4) Jake Browning, rising junior, Washington

Based on production and pedigree, Browning should be even higher than this. Like Josh Rosen, he started as a true freshman. Unlike Rosen, he actually took a huge step forward as a sophomore — throwing for 43 touchdowns in a national title run. Browning’s pro potential is limited some by his size (only 6’2″) and somewhat limited arm talent. He doesn’t have a cannon, so he’ll be expected to improve his 62.1% completion percentage. If Browning and the Huskies can have another strong year, we may be talking about him in the top 10. If he regresses some, then Round 2/3 is more likely.

(5) Baker Mayfield, rising senior, Oklahoma

Like his in-state rival Mason Rudolph, Mayfield declared that he’s returning to campus for one more year. Other than that, the two are quite different. Mayfield doesn’t need much more refinement as a passer — in fact, he’s already the best in college football. He has efficiency stats — 71.0% completion, 40 TDs, 8 ints, 11.1 yards per attempt — that would make Matt Ryan jealous. Mayfield’s problem is that he doesn’t have the physical makeup of a top QB — he’s listed at 6’1″, and that may be generous. However, Mayfield has a knack for the position; watching him slip out of a pass rush and hit the open man reminds you of Jeff Garcia (a more realistic comp than Russell Wilson.) Mayfield’s limitations would keep him around the Round 2 / Round 3 range, but he’ll still be an interesting option for certain NFL offenses.

(6) Lamar Jackson, rising junior, Louisville

The man who beat all these other QBs for the Heisman Trophy is only #6 for me, so I can understand the possible outrage. After all, Jackson had a crazy year (30 passing touchdowns + 21 rushing) and displays the speed and agility that we haven’t seen at QB since Michael Vick. His problem, of course, is that he’s a Michael Vick – level passer right now. His completion percentage hovered at 56.2% this year and got worse as the season went along. Talent-rich teams like LSU stopped Jackson cold (10/27 passing, 26 carries for 33 yards in the Citrus bowl) which makes you worried that NFL teams could do the same. If Jackson develops as a passer, the sky’s the limit. If he plateaus, you wonder if he’ll even play QB in the NFL.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard