Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody is going to trade up for a #29 pick. Won't happen.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
nope. There will be a few guys available between 29, and say...35...that can have a major impact on this team...... but there will still be guys in the third that can have an impact...to me,...a major impact player is a better addition than two or three impact players, or an impact player and two contributors. We can get a starter in the third, but we can score a perennial pro bowler at 29

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
In 2014, for the Vikings to move up 8 spots from 40 to 32 to take Bridgewater, they had to give Seattle their 2nd round pick (40) and their 4th round pick (108).

The Saints's 2nd and 3rd round picks would be good value, IMO. Of course, the Saints would have to fall in love with someone at that spot and there would have to be nobody AZ values at the time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree with you Bucky, and Paxton Lynch could be that guy. It's a QB driven league.

+1

And Drew Brees is not getting any younger.

I am find with staying at #29, since I think there will be definitely be a player the Cardinals could use sitting there for them at that spot, but I think the same thing about picking about 16 slots later, so picking up an extra 3rd round pick in the process would be great too.

Either, or.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Teams will be willing to trade up to get the extra year option on the contract too. TJ's example is probably best case for me if an elite player doesn't fall to #29. SD could possible want trade up for OT giving us #35 and #102. Dropping only six spots should still leave us in position to draft a talented DE or Ryan Kelly while adding a very valuable pick at #102.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not much difference players 29-40 so if some team really wants to trade up a 33-40 rd 2 pick along with a 3rd or 4th is logical.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Happens a lot

Not for a second and third :D

Last late first round trade down was a couple years ago.

MIN traded #40 (2nd round) & #108 (4th round) in 2014 to SEA to move up to #32 to take Teddy Bridgewater. Definitely a great deal for MIN. SEA ended up taking Paul Richardson & Cassius Marsh after a series of trade downs.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Nobody is going to trade up for a #29 pick. Won't happen.

It could absolutely happen. In fact, id say its likely to happen.

Specifically: Any team who needs a QB (the top 10) who misses out on Wentz or Goff will be looking to come back and grab Paxton Lynch at #29. All of them will fight each other to get the pick. Thus we have the leverage. You know who needs a QB? Denver. I hear they like Lynch. Maybe one of the other early round 2 team wants to jump them and grab him.

another one: New York. Ferguson retired today, meaning they need a LT. Lots of good LTs in this draft. They could be looking to come back at #29 and take Conklin or Decker or Ifredi.

I think we have excellent odds. Because we are the rare late pick team that has very few holes. We can trade away our 1st at ease. Denver, lots of holes, they need their pick. Same with Carolina.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Specifically: Any team who needs a QB (the top 10) who misses out on Wentz or Goff will be looking to come back and grab Paxton Lynch at #29. All of them will fight each other to get the pick. Thus we have the leverage. You know who needs a QB? Denver. I hear they like Lynch. Maybe one of the other early round 2 team wants to jump them and grab him.

another one: New York. Ferguson retired today, meaning they need a LT. Lots of good LTs in this draft. They could be looking to come back at #29 and take Conklin or Decker or Ifredi.

I think we have excellent odds. Because we are the rare late pick team that has very few holes. We can trade away our 1st at ease. Denver, lots of holes, they need their pick. Same with Carolina.

so....we trade #29 to the saints,...for Max Unger and their 3rd?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If several teams want Lynch they won't be waiting until #29 to cut a deal.

If he gets past the RAMS at #15 the rush for him starts.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would say to me that the Saints only think Graham was worth a 3rd. Not happening.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No...whered this Max Unger talk come from?

Just trade back to #37 or so and take Ryan Kelly.

If several teams want Lynch they won't be waiting until #29 to cut a deal.

If he gets past the RAMS at #15 the rush for him starts.

Happened a couple of years ago when the Vikings traded to #32 to draft Bridgewater.

You over estimate Lynch

Bridgewater was better, Carr was better. they went 32 and 36. And look at Johnny Manziel. There were fans thinking hed go with the #8 pick, but the Browns came back at #22 to get him.

#29 feels like the perfect trade back for Lynch range

Furthermore, teams in the low 20s will want a ransom. Obviously the team looking to get back in and get Lynch will want the best deal. AZ at #29 is a very reasonable bargain. Your 2nd + 3rd rounder

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't think a 2nd and 3rd is out of the question for pick 29. You figure the team trading already has made a 1st round pick so they'd basically just be giving up a 3rd round pick to turn their 2nd round pick into a late 1st rounder. That's not a big price to pay.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Just ran simulation on that new Draftwired site (by the way it is super good and worth every bit of the $6 to join), and for you Ryan Kelly fans, here is what we could pick up by trading back with say the Saints.

2.16 Ryan Kelly, C (personally I preferred Chris Jones, Leonard Floyd, or Su'a Cravens*
3.15 Will Redmond, CB (or the likes of Kaufusi, Wright, Killebrew, Jerell Adams)
3.29 T J Green (or the likes of Jones, Calhoun, Ward, Hackenberg)

So moving back would give you that 3.15 type of player as a free pick.

*Love this guy - so versatile, fast, and in a way the USC version of Myles Jack

Last edited:
OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Here is a mock after trade back with Ravens. I happen to like this group of players, especially with the surprise drop to R5 by the ND chap.

2.36 Butler, Vernon NT Louisiana Tech (36, 104 from BAL for 29)
3.92 Russell, KeiVarae CB Notre Dame
4.104 Clark, Le'Raven G Texas Tech (36, 104 from BAL for 29)
4.128 Glasgow, Graham C Michigan
5.166 Jones, Cardale QB Ohio State
5.170 Day, Sheldon DT Notre Dame
6.204 Morrison, Antonio ILB Florida

Here is a mock minus any Trades:

1.29 Ragland, Reggie ILB Alabama
3.92 Redmond, Will CB Mississippi State
4.128 Day, Sheldon DT Notre Dame
5.166 Seumalo, Isaac C Oregon State
5.170 Peake, Charone WR Clemson
6.204 Hall, Deiondre' FS Northern Iowa

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No...whered this Max Unger talk come from?

Just trade back to #37 or so and take Ryan Kelly.

You over estimate Lynch

Bridgewater was better, Carr was better. they went 32 and 36. And look at Johnny Manziel. There were fans thinking hed go with the #8 pick, but the Browns came back at #22 to get him.

#29 feels like the perfect trade back for Lynch range

Furthermore, teams in the low 20s will want a ransom. Obviously the team looking to get back in and get Lynch will want the best deal. AZ at #29 is a very reasonable bargain. Your 2nd + 3rd rounder

Denver, for example, picking at the end of the first could create an affordable deal without waiting until #29. He may not be as good a prospect as those you mentioned but he's the best available after the first two are off the board in 2016.