I hope San Antonio wins!

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
yeah kidd did look pretty much useless out there. He looked like he had no idea about what to do. It'll be interesting to see what he does next game. i still want the nets to win though. They really need to play Mutumbo instead of Collins.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
yeah kidd did look pretty much useless out there. He looked like he had no idea about what to do. It'll be interesting to see what he does next game. i still want the nets to win though. They really need to play Mutumbo instead of Collins.

I don't understand Bryon Scott's relationship with Mutumbo the same as I don't understand FJ's relationship with big Jake. I'm not sure what Mutumbo or big Jake have done to deserve the way they are treated by their coaches, but there's a saying that seems to describe the situation: "cutting of your nose to spite your face".
This is one of those expressions that has been around for quite some time. If you wanted to get even with someone, or hurt the feelings of that person, would you do it by cutting off your nose? Would that be a sensible thing to do? It wouldn't, would it? That's what the expression `cut off one's nose to spite one's face' means. It means harming oneself (or the team), perhaps much more than the person one is trying to hurt.

I sure hope Scott keeps it up, because I would like to see SA sweep the Nets.:D

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What is really amazing is that NJ traded Van Horn & MacCulloch (2 guys that could have helped them this year) for Mutumbo (who maked like $16 mil a year) and they don't play him against the twin towers. This guy was supposed to be their final piece to the puzzle. I know he's old & slow & was hurt most of the year, but not playing him is plain stupid. Especially when Duncan is going off on one of your best players.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham
What is really amazing is that NJ traded Van Horn & MacCulloch (2 guys that could have helped them this year) for Mutumbo (who maked like $16 mil a year) and they don't play him against the twin towers. This guy was supposed to be their final piece to the puzzle. I know he's old & slow & was hurt most of the year, but not playing him is plain stupid. Especially when Duncan is going off on one of your best players.

Actually MacCulloch was injured almost the entire season and he may have to retire. But I agree that Keith Van Horn really could have helped New Jersey.

Joe Mama

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually had no idea MacCulloch was hurt almost all year. If the Sixers weren't playing the Suns then I wasn't watching them :)

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
Not to get too far off topic, but it is a real shame what happened MacCulloch. He suffers from a very rare nerve disease, that is pretty much sure to end his career. TNT (or ESPN) did a pre-game report on him earlier during the playoffs, he seemed really depressed about the whole thing.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/0302nbacol0302.html

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbeecham

Exactly! It may even be worse than FJ not playing big Jake. Even FJ, I believe, would have used Mutumbo more than 6 minuets, but then again, maybe not. :D

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Mutumbo is a way better defensive player than Big Jake. I doubt big jake would have done anything to help. I think they should put mutumbo on robinson and leave martin on duncan.

notakiddfan1

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When Mutombo was 20, he was stiff as a board. He had the agility of a dead man even in his prime.

To be honest, I haven't watched Mutombo very much this season, so I can't be too sure, but does anybody really think he can still be effective at 36? There were a lot of people who thought the trade was dumb last offseason because Mutombo is too slow for the Nets, and all he would do is slow them down. Everybody says that Jason Kidd is a liability in the halfcourt - how good could the team be if 2 of their 5 players were liabilities? Not too good.

Assuming they will keep Kenyon Martin on Duncan, that would leave Dikembe on David Robinson to start the game. That's kinda pointless. Robinson isn't much of a threat anymore from the offensive end, and Collins is a better player on offense. So if you just keep Collins on Robinson, they really don't lose much. Also, the Spurs perimeter players really aren't slashers, so having Dikembe in the middle doesn't help New Jersey that much when everyone other than Duncan and Robinson are shooting jumpers. And then when D. Rob goes out, Malik Rose comes in and he's definately too quick for Mutumbo, so what's the point of having him on the floor?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by notakiddfan1
When Mutombo was 20, he was stiff as a board. He had the agility of a dead man even in his prime.

When did you see Mutombo when he was 20 years old? He wasn't even that young at Georgetown!

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
i wasnt alive 67 years ago, and I dont htink most of this board was either.....that makes it pretty hard to see Deke when he was 20

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Actually Stephen Jackson was getting to the lane a lot and there was no one there to stop him. I think Mutumbo would be a better weakside defender than collins. Well he is. Ginobli was also scoring off of drives.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by PhiLLmattiC
Actually Stephen Jackson was getting to the lane a lot and there was no one there to stop him. I think Mutumbo would be a better weakside defender than collins. Well he is. Ginobli was also scoring off of drives.

Mutumbo is known for his defensive shot blocking ability which I believe he still has. While he was in the game for a total of six minuets, he blocked one shot and caused 3 misses due to his presence in the middle.

I say, keep him on the bench:D ...... GO SPURS!

OP
OP
Yuma

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not to get too far off topic, but it is a real shame what happened MacCulloch. He suffers from a very rare nerve disease, that is pretty much sure to end his career. TNT (or ESPN) did a pre-game report on him earlier during the playoffs, he seemed really depressed about the whole thing.

There is a quack on the local radio here who has writen a book called "Dead Doctors Don't Lie" and he claims to be working with Todd and that Todd is almost 100% healed from his disease just by taking the proper vitamins and nutrients. I am skeptical, because I heard him tell a gal on his show that she may have a "touch of celiac" disease! You either have it or you don't, it's not like being a "little bit pregnant!" I feel for MacCulloch, and I got really mad when I heard this guy on the radio. I am thinking of writing the AMA, FDA, and whoever I can turn this quack into!! If Todd really is getting healed I will be the first to say I was wrong about this so-called doctor.

notakiddfan1

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, this might be somewhat off the somewhat off-topic topic, but...

Mutombo is looking to get more minutes tonight. With everybody complaining about it, I don't see Byron Scott keeping him on the bench the entire game.

Charles V

Registered
Reaction score
If Todd really is getting healed I will be the first to say I was wrong about this so-called doctor.

By the looks of the special they had on him during the playoffs, he did not look like he was healed. He looks fine physically, but he seemed very depressed.

Mutombo is looking to get more minutes tonight. With everybody complaining about it, I don't see Byron Scott keeping him on the bench the entire game.

I dont see Byron giving in because of outside pressure. Byron seems to be the kind of person who would cut off his nose to spite his face.

notakiddfan1

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, it looks like he kept his nose right where it was, and it was a good thing.

I didn't think Mutumbo could play the way he did tonight. I was wrong, I'll admit that.

He really played well. Without him, NJ would prolly be down 0-2 today.

But Jason Kidd came up big tonight as well.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So, just for the record, a point guard who shoots 24 times (with no one else on his team getting more than 16 attempts) and has only three assists against four turnovers is a "pass-first" point guard, right?

Once again, the Nets offense was ineffective. They shot 42% from the field, putting them at less than 40% for the series so far. Thanks to Kidd's unwillingness to give the ball up -- he had a single miraculous made field goal, two bad misses, zero assists and one turnover during the final three minutes -- they nearly lost at the end. And in spite of committing 21 turnovers and missing nearly half of their free throws, the Spurs would have needed only one lucky bounce to come away with the win.

I am not saying Kidd isn't good. He rebounded well, as he almost always does, and he made the clutch free throws, which is a heck of a lot more than Duncan can say. Indeed, Kidd was the best player on the floor tonight.

But I do continue to be frustrated by the arbitrary praise he gets for being "pass-first," when the term has no meaning. He shoots when he wants to, same as everyone else in the league. Tonight, he decided he couldn't trust his teammates, so he shot more.

Had the Spurs come away with a narrow victory tonight, would anyone have been calling Kidd "selfish"? Probably not -- why?

I still think the Spurs will win the series. New Jersey can't crack 90 points, and the Spurs' offense won't be so completely self-destructive too many more times.

notakiddfan1

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jason Kidd is a better passer than Stephon Marbury. You can argue that until the day I die, doesn't matter to me.

Had the Spurs come away with a narrow victory tonight, would anyone have been calling Kidd "selfish"? Probably not

I would hope they wouldn't. Just because he only had 3 assists doesn't mean he wasn't passing the ball. It doesn't even mean that he wasn't willingly pass the ball. But last night, it definately seemed like he needed to score the basketball for his team to win, and he did that. His team won the ball. So I don't see what we're even talking about. Had Jason Kidd's bones cracked into a million pieces when he fell to the floor, would anyone been calling Kidd "brittle"? Prolly not - and it doesn't matter because it didn't happen.

Once again, the Nets offense was ineffective.

That's a very keen observation. Who woulda thunk, in the NBA Finals, the teams wouldn't average points in the 120s? The fact that the Nets' offense struggles is a testament to the Spurs' defense. Every team in the league struggles against the Spurs - that's why they won 60 games this year. That's why they're the number 1 seed! Heck, if the Nets shot better than 42%, I'd think something was wrong. I'd be questioning the Spurs desire. How could you get all the way to the NBA Finals, with a chance to play for the greatest prize in all of basketball worldwide, and then decide you're not going to put the effort in to play defense. It's the Eastern Conference that is too lazy to play defense, right?

Penny Hardaway shot 39% from the field, Stephon Marbury shot 37%, Shawn Marion shot 36%, and Joe Johnson shot 24% from the field in the Suns/Spurs series. Does that make them "ineffective" players? Well, they weren't super in that first-round series, but they're far from inept. The Spurs play defense, that's their thing. Criticizing the Nets for struggling against the Spurs would be like criticizing David for losing to Goliath.

PhiLLmattiC

Last of a Dying Breed
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm

Kidd can run ragged in the East, because most of his opponents are too lazy to defend properly.

I still can't believe you said that. I think you should take it back.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jason Kidd is a better passer than Stephon Marbury.

Yes, and Marbury is a better shooter. I think most people agree on that. My point is that there isn't as much difference between their games as the terms "pass-first" and "shoot-first" convey. I'm happy to praise Jason Kidd, but not in terms that put him in a different category from other point guards.

But last night, it definately seemed like he needed to score the basketball for his team to win, and he did that.

We'll never know, will we? It isn't as though the rest of his team was much less effective than he was. The Nets' big run in the second quarter came with Kidd on the bench. I think he definitely could have done his team a favor by trying to involve some other players during the last few minutes. His decision to "take over" nearly cost the Nets the game. My point is that even "unselfish" players can have lapses in judgement where they think they're the only one who can get it done.

And the worst part is that, if Kidd happens to have double-figure assists in Game 3, the media will crow, "What an unselfish player! Always thinking about his teammates, never looking for his own glory!" It's crap. He wanted to win Game 2 all by himself.

The fact that the Nets' offense struggles is a testament to the Spurs' defense. Every team in the league struggles against the Spurs

Both the Lakers and the Mavericks were more successful offensively than New Jersey has been.

Penny Hardaway shot 39% from the field, Stephon Marbury shot 37%, Shawn Marion shot 36%, and Joe Johnson shot 24% from the field in the Suns/Spurs series. Does that make them "ineffective" players?

They were ineffective offensively in that series, yes. The Suns' offense was terrible in that series. And yes, of course the Spurs' defense gets a lot of credit. But we aren't talking about the Suns, a #8 seed that beat everyone's expectations this year. We're talking about the Nets, a team that the media has made out to be the second coming of the "Showtime" Lakers.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
Jason Kidd is a better passer than Stephon Marbury.

Yes, and Marbury is a better shooter. I think most people agree on that. My point is that there isn't as much difference between their games as the terms "pass-first" and "shoot-first" convey. I'm happy to praise Jason Kidd, but not in terms that put him in a different category from other point guards.

But last night, it definately seemed like he needed to score the basketball for his team to win, and he did that.

We'll never know, will we? It isn't as though the rest of his team was much less effective than he was. The Nets' big run in the second quarter came with Kidd on the bench. I think he definitely could have done his team a favor by trying to involve some other players during the last few minutes. His decision to "take over" nearly cost the Nets the game. My point is that even "unselfish" players can have lapses in judgement where they think they're the only one who can get it done.

And the worst part is that, if Kidd happens to have double-figure assists in Game 3, the media will crow, "What an unselfish player! Always thinking about his teammates, never looking for his own glory!" It's crap. He wanted to win Game 2 all by himself.

The fact that the Nets' offense struggles is a testament to the Spurs' defense. Every team in the league struggles against the Spurs

Both the Lakers and the Mavericks were more successful offensively than New Jersey has been.

Penny Hardaway shot 39% from the field, Stephon Marbury shot 37%, Shawn Marion shot 36%, and Joe Johnson shot 24% from the field in the Suns/Spurs series. Does that make them "ineffective" players?

They were ineffective offensively in that series, yes. The Suns' offense was terrible in that series. And yes, of course the Spurs' defense gets a lot of credit. But we aren't talking about the Suns, a #8 seed that beat everyone's expectations this year. We're talking about the Nets, a team that the media has made out to be the second coming of the "Showtime" Lakers.

Come on - give credit where credit is due. I hate Jason Kidd just as much as the next Suns fan, but hius performance last night was (and I hate saying this) - huge. He carried that team in the thrid and fourth quarters - hitting long threes with the shot clock running down, those two banks over robinson and nailing 5 of 6 free throws down the stretch. I never saw him do that in a pressure playoff game on the road much less, in a Suns uniform and that is why I hated him so much on the Suns.

I kept waiting for him to have the type of performances he has had the last couple playoffs with Nets - however, that being said, I do think the media affair with him in the East is ridiculous. The guy won more games every season with the Suns than he did in the east with the Nets - it's just that the East sucks so bad.

Personally -I don't think evither one of these teams is champiopnship material. If not for Webber's injury, the Nets would be down 2-0 and on their way to a sweep. The Spurs suck and the rest of the NBA sucked this year also.

notakiddfan1

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh come on, elindholm, you had me all excited. We were taking off the gloves, getting a good heated arguement going, and then you come with your last post? I know your team lost, but you could do something better than that! Basically all you just did is agree with me on everything I said, and then add in some last-second quib about some unprovable statement that you try and use as the basis of your arguement.

I'm not trying to argue the real definition of "pass-first" or "shoot-first". If you're thinking that Websters doesn't have the phrases listed, than you're probably correct. Yet anybody would agree with me that Jason Kidd looks to pass the ball more than Stephon Marbury does. It's just the truth. Did I complain when Stephon had 26 of his 43 points in the fourth quarter of a Spurs game this past season? No. Did I say that he should've given Amare Stoudemire a second chance to be a hero in game 1 of the Spurs series instead of hitting the game-winning 3 point shot in OT? Of course not. Nevertheless, Marbury is a "scoring" point guard and Kidd is a "passing" point guard. It does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that either of them can't do both, but their first option when they are looking to attack is different for the two players.

Exactly, we'll never know. Luckily for New Jersey fans across the country, you don't have to worry about it either. The Nets won the game and not realizing Kidd's hand in such an outcome is mindboggling. Really elindholm, if you want anybody to see you as an unbiased basketball fan, you have to stop turning a completely blind eye to what actually transpires on the court. If you want to say Jason Kidd cost the Nets the game, you should've done it right after game 1 - you had plenty an opportunity. But to say that Jason Kidd nearly cost the Nets game 2 is (and no offense to Chaplin), quite frankly, just stupid.

The Mavericks have the most potent offense in the league. Is it really a surprise that their offense faired better than New Jersey's in their respective Spurs series? Compare apples to apples here. New Jersey and Dallas have completely different styles of play. Dallas relies solely on their offensive abilities. When they struggle on offense, they rarely have won this year. I'd be delighted to see how many games they've won when they've scored in the 80s this season. Far less than New Jersey, I'm sure.

When you talk about Jason Kidd, it's easy to talk about his play-making abilities. But you should not forget his presence on the defensive end of the court as well. He's an annual member of all-NBA defense for a reason. Not because he's overrated, not because he's a media darling - because he is one of the best help-defenders in the league. And that's just Jason Kidd. With Kenyon Martin and the recent addition of Dikembe Mutombo anchoring the Nets' defense, they become a very defensive-minded ballclub. Of course Dallas is going to have a better time on offense. That's how they win games. That does not, however, make them a better team because they score more points. That's so elemantary it's almost disturbing.

And don't even talk about the Lakers. They lost that series 4-2 and had their fair-share of offensive struggles. Of course, when you have the two most dominant offensive players on the planet at the 2 and 5 spots, you'd expect them to be successful. The very fact that they weren't only adds to the defensive spectable about which I've been arguing.

You're right, we're not talking about the Suns, a #8 seed that beat everyone's expectations this year. At least I know I'm not, because I watched the Suns play 88 games this season and I noticed that, despite what everyone else said or thought, the Suns weren't a normal 8th seed. And it doesn't even matter what the Suns as a whole can do. I wasn't talking about the Phoenix Suns, with a lineup rounded out by the likes of Casey Jacobsen, Jake Voshkul, Randy Brown, Scott Williams, and Jake Tsakalidis. I was talking about the Suns four guards, all of whom shot better than 40% from the field during the course of the season. The Spurs locked those guys up something fierce. Bruce Bowen's job on Shawn Marion was next to incredible. I was really down on Shawn during that series, but Bowen did the same thing to Kobe Bryant. Also, relatively talented players such as Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway struggled mightily through those 6 games as well. Like it or not, the Spurs defense is probably tops in the league. That's why they won 60 games this year, and that's why they're still playing when 27 other teams are watching the Finals from their carribean vacation spots. This is the last time I'm going to say it - of course the Nets offense has struggled, and will for the most part continue to struggle.

Luckily for them, basketball is about more than simply outscoring your opponent. And luckily for me, I took off my gloves, and you've all but embarrassed yourself in attempting to take off yours.