I don't get it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to make a choice, and I still believe Ayton was the best choice. Luka was going to be good early. I am not sure where he will top out in his effectiveness. I had some concerns about his outside shooting, especially his declining stats. I thought Luka would be good but I definitely wanted Ayton. Ayton had the most readily measurable attributes combined with significant upside. JJJ had some glimpses of the ability to be great but was a bit more of a gamble. I still like a dominant rebounder as a big man and JJJ doesn't seem to do that.

I made the choice way before the draft that the Suns should draft Ayton. Nothing has changed my mind.

However, it does no harm to see how other players might project long term. The important thing is the Suns got a great player out of the 2018 draft with the number 1 pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I really liked Bagley, Doncic, JJJ, and Young, but there was never any doubt in my mind that Ayton was the number one pick. I suspect that every single team would have taken him if they had the first pick. I also suspect that if the draft was done again today that nothing would change regardless of who had the number one pick. Everyone would still take Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really liked Bagley, Doncic, JJJ, and Young, but there was never any doubt in my mind that Ayton was the number one pick. I suspect that every single team would have taken him if they had the first pick. I also suspect that if the draft was done again today that nothing would change regardless of who had the number one pick. Everyone would still take Ayton.

The only thing I can see different is another team might have traded down slightly from the number 1 pick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Everyone would still take Ayton but I think Atlanta would keep Doncic instead of trading him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well of course, hindsight is 20-20. But I also wouldn't discount that the narratives could be entirely different in another season or two - in either a positive or negative direction for ANY of the rookies.

Again, that is the danger of overreacting to anything this early in any of these guys careers. It will take a lot more time to really see who shakes out as great, just good, or a bust.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone would still take Ayton but I think Atlanta would keep Doncic instead of trading him.

I agree about Atlanta but I'm not so sure about everyone else. Europe isn't China but I suspect Doncic is a cash cow the likes we haven't seen since Yao Ming. And he's tantalizing on the floor too so a lot of owners would likely push their GM's in Luka's direction even if they weren't ready to go on their own. I still think we made the right call but I don't think you can lose by taking either guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree about Atlanta but I'm not so sure about everyone else. Europe isn't China but I suspect Doncic is a cash cow the likes we haven't seen since Yao Ming. And he's tantalizing on the floor too so a lot of owners would likely push their GM's in Luka's direction even if they weren't ready to go on their own. I still think we made the right call but I don't think you can lose by taking either guy.
But this is selecting with hindsight so knowing that D’Aaron Fox was going to be a stud I think sac still takes a big which means likely still Bagley. And if Atlanta keeps Doncic that means the rest of the draft likely stays close to as-is. Maybe Dallas doesn’t go Trae and Knox or Shai goes higher but likely not the top picks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this is selecting with hindsight so knowing that D’Aaron Fox was going to be a stud I think sac still takes a big which means likely still Bagley. And if Atlanta keeps Doncic that means the rest of the draft likely stays close to as-is. Maybe Dallas doesn’t go Trae and Knox or Shai goes higher but likely not the top picks.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your earlier post. I thought you were talking about all 30 teams, not just the ones that had a chance at him.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man o man. There are people that say that he reminds them of David Robinson. They are talking about his frame, the way he carries himself and the way he moves. Just quit with the Ayton fanboys stuff and quit with mischaracterizing what other people say. I am with Ouchie on this. It really fries me when people do this.
I’m with Ouchie on it too. We can quit with the Ashton fanboy stuff as soon as we can quit with the Doncic fanboy stuff.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I highly doubt that.

Nobody in Germanys cares about Doncic except the ones who were already Mavericks fans anyway due to Dirk.

And tbh I have never actually seen anyone with Mavericks merch here either.

And even if I doubt the Mavs can really monetize that since Europeans fans don't attend home games typically or watch the Mavs official broadcast.

The NBA rights are sold as a whole.

For sure Doncic's agent has done the best job getting the media to fawn over him non-stop.

Having to hear Ryan Hollins argue that Doncic should have been the #1 pick is actively destroying brain cells of anyone who gets baited into listening.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Man o man. There are people that say that he reminds them of David Robinson. They are talking about his frame, the way he carries himself and the way he moves. Just quit with the Ayton fanboys stuff and quit with mischaracterizing what other people say. I am with Ouchie on this. It really fries me when people do this.
Once again Robinson played college ball for 4 years and matured a couple more in the Navy before he ever stepped on an NBA court. It’s hard to make a comparison.

Ayton is playing very well for his age and experience level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Once again Robinson played college ball for 4 years and matured a couple more in the Navy before he ever stepped on an NBA court. It’s hard to make a comparison.

Ayton is playing very well for his age and experience level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. Most of the dominant big men in the past played multiple years of college and were far more physically mature than Ayton when they stepped on the floor. Of course Ayton isn't playing at the level they played at yet, but I like his chances of getting to that level.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m with Ouchie on it too. We can quit with the Ashton fanboy stuff as soon as we can quit with the Doncic fanboy stuff.

Not a fair trade. There has to be a few thousand Doncic fanboys for every Ayton ultra homer. Point out on this forum all the huge Ayton homers. There just aren't many. There aren't many unreasonable Doncic supporters here either but if you frequent other sites you know very well the unreal fascination that accompanies Doncic.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not a fair trade. There has to be a few thousand Doncic fanboys for every Ayton ultra homer. Point out on this forum all the huge Ayton homers. There just aren't many. There aren't many unreasonable Doncic supporters here either but if you frequent other sites you know very well the unreal fascination that accompanies Doncic.
I was talking about strictly in regards to this site.

Ayton being a local kid has more fanboys than the usual 19 yr old 1st overall pick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking about strictly in regards to this site.

Ayton being a local kid has more fanboys than the usual 19 yr old 1st overall pick.

I don't see it and I've read every post here since the draft. And I've seen no evidence of a loaded fan base for him being local unless you mean UA fans and they haven't been particularly vocal, at all. Honestly I was expecting a lot more buzz considering he's our first ever number one pick, local connection or not, but I guess the depression of the past few years has silenced a lot of fans.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton is barely getting more hype than JJ did last season and the reason he's getting more has nothing to do with him being a local kid. He was the Suns first and only #1 overall pick and he very well could be what the Suns have been missing for the last 50 years, a true franchise Center. Ayton will probably crack the top 10 Suns centers after this season and that's not because he has
"fanboys" or because he's local either, it's because the Suns have never had a Center worth calling a franchise player before.

Doesn't it stand to reason there would be more Ayton fans on a Suns message board than Doncic fans anyway? This isn't the draft anymore, the picks have been made and Ayton is a Sun and Doncic is a Maverick. Of course Ayton will be talked about more here than Doncic. Why should Doncic be discussed at all here, really? He has no ties to this team so why pine over him on a Suns board?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is so much Doncic discussion here, why should we care what Doncic does.
Because the media hypes Doncic up and then insecure Suns fans feel the need to bash him (such as OP of this thread?) to feel better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We haven’t complained about Doncic for a week yet this thread got bumped. I guess it’s a lose-lose.

Yeah, there's been virtually no complaining about Luka since the season got underway. He's impressed almost everybody except maybe slin. And the OP was bashing the media, not Doncic, but I guess that get's lost in the translation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge Suns fan, but I'm also a huge basketball fan. Count me in as someone who wants Luka to be generationally awesome and for Ayton to be even greater.

His game is just fun to watch. And AFAIC he's already right there with Curry for the player I'd most like to get the ball to for a game winner.