How to play the Oubre asset this summer

How do we play the Oubre situation this summer?

• Do nothing. Match if if he gets a reasonable offer.

• Manipulate the system. Leak that we will match anything and hope that keeps suitors away.

• Just say goodbye. Give up. Do not even make the QO.

• Play nice guy. Tell him we want to keep him, but will do a S&T if it is advantageous.

• Go all in. Match any offer he gets

Results are only viewable after voting.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
THIS

I don't see any way he doesn't make 20 million per.

who the heck is going to give Oubre 20 million per.

nobody

I doubt he will get many offers. Expect this restricted free agency to drag out unless the Suns and Oubre agree immediately to a reasonable deal for both sides.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Here's a list of the players making over $15m. Green is probably the only player on the list I'd prefer over Oubre. I absolutely love what he brings to the court and I'm not talking about stats.

I wouldn't hesitate going up to $20m per year. He's only 4 years into the league and he took a while to get going. I see huge potential and he's a perfect fit with Booker and Ayton. And most importantly he wants to be here!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The market is going up this summer. 20 mil per year will not seem that high by September.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's a list of the players making over $15m. Green is probably the only player on the list I'd prefer over Oubre. I absolutely love what he brings to the court and I'm not talking about stats.

I wouldn't hesitate going up to $20m per year. He's only 4 years into the league and he took a while to get going. I see huge potential and he's a perfect fit with Booker and Ayton. And most importantly he wants to be here!

You must be registered for see images attach

Green and Capela are worthy of their contracts despite stats.

The rest on the list not so much.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Don't give a crap at this point. Give him a four-year $80M contract. He and Johnson have transformed this team.
Yup, just came in here to say after these last 5 games, we've got to do whatever it takes to keep him. He's got the magic sauce. He is the heart and soul of this team already.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Oubre. But I don’t know if it’s Oubre and Johnson or the fact that we actually have some NBA talent to surround Ayton, Booker, Bridges and TJ.

Outside of those 5 we had to rely on g-league and over-the-hill material.

We also have some nice bench material in JJ and Holmes. Bridges is a rookie too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The options above are kind of silly. I mean the front office is going to probably do one or more of the things above to try and make it favorable to the team. I hope they can find a way to keep the guy but you can't overpay for him. Be competitive. Try and keep him but within reason.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
who the heck is going to give Oubre 20 million per.

nobody

I doubt he will get many offers. Expect this restricted free agency to drag out unless the Suns and Oubre agree immediately to a reasonable deal for both sides.
I say... Everybody!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm sure the Suns will say they will match, it's pretty much what every team does in this situation. I'm also not sure he is going to get massively overpaid as the Kings seemed to be the team most likely to do so but they now have 25mil tied up in Barnes. Only other team with a ton of cap I can see making a big offer is the Hawks but I'm not sure how likely that is since I don't think he'd be viewed as a long term starter and would be more of a depth signing.

Ideally the Suns will get something worked out prior to FA, or at the very least convince him not to sign any offer they would end up matching since as soon as they do match they will lose whatever the difference between his new contract and his cap hold is(same for Holmes, even though he is UFA).

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point we have to match just about anything. The guy is becoming a legit second banana, and just seems to be getting better and better.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I don't get it. The suns finally made a trade they benefit greatly from. Got a dynamic player who can do some of everything, plays with heart passion and wants to be a sun! I got news for you, nobody as good as him is coming in free agency. Keeping him also makes Warren and JJ expendable in a trade. The only way imho that you get a decent player besides the draft. Pay the man

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pay him in the 15-20 range ride with him and Bridges and use Jackson and Warren as trade bait to fill out the roster

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get it. The suns finally made a trade they benefit greatly from. Got a dynamic player who can do some of everything, plays with heart passion and wants to be a sun! I got news for you, nobody as good as him is coming in free agency. Keeping him also makes Warren and JJ expendable in a trade. The only way imho that you get a decent player besides the draft. Pay the man

Who is saying we shouldn't resign him? I think everyone has been for it provided he doesn't get offered the max elsewhere and I totally understand why we would need to think twice before matching an offer like that. I like Oubre quite a bit and would love to lock him in long term but the price can't be ridiculous to do so. I think it would get to the point of ridiculousness if he were to get an offer paying him north of $20 million a year. At that point we may need to work out a sign and trade or something because that could cripple us for a long time coming financially.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Who is saying we shouldn't resign him? I think everyone has been for it provided he doesn't get offered the max elsewhere and I totally understand why we would need to think twice before matching an offer like that. I like Oubre quite a bit and would love to lock him in long term but the price can't be ridiculous to do so. I think it would get to the point of ridiculousness if he were to get an offer paying him north of $20 million a year. At that point we may need to work out a sign and trade or something because that could cripple us for a long time coming financially.

Seemed like some would rather not if its big money. Maybe im misreading it but i agree you cant pay him over 20m a year. I honestly dont think it will get to that point. 15 - 20 seems like the range. Its not ideal but I don't think you have a choice if this team ever wants to compete again

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm at the point where I believe there is no salary offer that could be made that we shouldn't match. I'd rather overpay him than let him go elsewhere.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seemed like some would rather not if its big money. Maybe im misreading it but i agree you cant pay him over 20m a year. I honestly dont think it will get to that point. 15 - 20 seems like the range. Its not ideal but I don't think you have a choice if this team ever wants to compete again

Yeah if he gets an offer over $20 million a year then it'll be a difficult decision to make. Ideally it won't come to that and we'll lock him in around $15 and call it a day before free agency starts. I can see why some would be ok paying him more but I'm not for it unless we can play 500 ball down the stretch with him starting. You don't pay someone that much if they're not helping you win currently and they aren't a superstar. Oubre is a really nice complimentary player who has helped change the perception of this team and should be rewarded for that but I can't say I'm ok with more than $20 million unless he's really helping us win. I'm not saying walk away if he gets that sort of offer but all options should be explored if that happens.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure when Oubre was made the starter but the Suns have won six of their last ten games.

I can't see the Suns letting Oubre go without losing credibility with the fans. He may well be a young star on the rise as he is only 23.

He might be the second best player on the Suns. They can't walk away from that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard