How to play the Oubre asset this summer

How do we play the Oubre situation this summer?

• Do nothing. Match if if he gets a reasonable offer.

• Manipulate the system. Leak that we will match anything and hope that keeps suitors away.

• Just say goodbye. Give up. Do not even make the QO.

• Play nice guy. Tell him we want to keep him, but will do a S&T if it is advantageous.

• Go all in. Match any offer he gets

Results are only viewable after voting.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We like Oubre. We would like to keep him. But with JJ playing better, TJ on a good contract, and Mikal on an advantageous rookie deal, overpaying to keep Oubre probably does not make sense.

So here are our options:

1. Do nothing. Hope and pray he does not get a good offer, and match.
2. Manipulate the system. Leak that the Suns will match any offer and hope everyone backs off, like they did with Bledsoe.
3. Just say goodbye. Recognize the inevitable and move on. Do not even make a QO.
4. Play nice guy. Tell Oubre that we want to keep him but might not be able to. Tell him that we would be open to sign and trade situations if it is advantageous to our team. That would expand Oubre's options from the very beginning and we might get back some sort of asset.
5. Go all in. Match whatever offer he gets.

Thoughts.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to keep him especially over Warren but it’s clear Bridges is the future. Jackson has been playing much better so that makes him #3

Sign and trade him for draft picks like it’s been said a lot of teams are going to have money and someone is going to overpay

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to keep him especially over Warren but it’s clear Bridges is the future. Jackson has been playing much better so that makes him #3

Sign and trade him for draft picks like it’s been said a lot of teams are going to have money and someone is going to overpay

Teams with cap space will probably overpay when they strike out on the big names but those teams likely won't want or need to sign and trade.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

we better be keeping Oubre

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we better be keeping Oubre

This is the way I feel as well.

If there is any way possible to keep him they should. At least the Suns know what he brings to the table.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you’re overplaying it.

The best “asset” that the #4 option in your poll can net in a sign and trade would be a top 40 protected 2nd rd pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There might be some options though. Milwaukee has an abundance of PF's and PG's but only one true SF (Middleton) on their roster. They also have Bledsoe, Mirotic, Brogdon, and Middleton who will be free agents.

They might consider a dual sign and trade. Oubre and a pick for Brogdon. It would balance their roster better. It will be interesting to see what Milwaukee does. Their fortunes could change quickly.

Its true that S&T's do not happen very often though.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I went with the first one, but it's not that simple.

I am concerned with Oubre's shooting and lack of passing, but outside of that, he is the most complete player that Phoenix has. Bridges will surpass him, but right now, Oubre is still more complete. He plays defense, he doesn't do stupid stuff, he can create his own shot, and he always plays hard. In my mind, out of the four wings, Bridges is the best prospect, Oubre is the second-best, and then with JJ and TJ it depends on what you value- potential or what a player is right now. I'd probably risk it and keep Jackson over Warren. I also think that the trio of Bridges, JJ, and Oubre will end up being a better group that the individual parts. There is something about rolling out three very good, extremely aggressive, and very long, versatile wings in certain lineups.

I would try to keep him, but I would not match "any" offer he receives. $20M, in my opinion, is where you just have to draw the line. At $15M you keep him, and $20 you don't. In-between is a crap shoot. I probably keep him if he remains under $20M.
I'd sit down with him, tell him how much we value him, but we have other holes we need to fill, so we are limited in how much we can pay. We'll give you $15M/ Per right now. If you give us a certain amount of time to grab a PG, we'll give you $18M/ per. At $20M/ Per, we just can't afford to match, but we'll be happy to facilitate a S&T for you.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought they should’ve sold high and traded him. He’s not a team player and doesn’t really fit well here going forward. Bridges will be the most complete wing on the team (eventually) and unlike Warren/Oubre Jackson can go point-forward if we need him to. He’s far more versatile... So what do you value more going forward; TJ’s ability to stretch the floor or Oubre’s defense? Considering the contract Oubre will get based on a few productive months my answer is pretty easily TJ.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign Oubre, move him at the mid-season if we don't like how it's playing out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I would keep him at no more than 16 mil a year.

I really like his game other than his 3 pt shooting. To me warren is out.

A rebounding PF will take all his minutes. The only way we keep him is if Oubre gets a huge offer.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I vote for "extend him to something generous, but reasonable, before he tests offers from other teams" -- which is, oddly, not an option in the poll, even though that's what the Suns did with Bledsoe and Warren.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you guys are wildly over estimating the free agent market for a guy who is a bad outside shooter and who was just traded for next to nothing.

If he gets offered contract in the neighborhood of 15-20 mil it will be for one year, like the one Caldwell-Pope signed with the Lakers.

He can't shoot from outside. Those guys do not and should not get funny money in the modern NBA.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what do you value more going forward; TJ’s ability to stretch the floor or Oubre’s defense?

easy choice. Oubre's defense
especially since he gives us significant offense too
and though neither makes the team better with passing
Oubre's passion makes his teammates better

i don't care which option gets the job done as long as we get the job done

it's absurd to keep saying we need better players
and not keep better players

Last edited:

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Considering the contract Oubre will get based on a few productive months my answer is pretty easily TJ

considering TJ has been a key player in the NBA's least productive
and worst defensive team for the better part of 2 years
and Oubre has been a key part of the most improved defensive team the past few months
my answer, again, is easily Oubre

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
if this team is serious about cultivating a winning attitude
2 guys that should not be touched are JJ and Oubre

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Keep oubre! TJ is the one that doesn't fit the direction this team is going , bridges JJ and oubre is a solid wing rotation for the future

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think you guys are wildly over estimating the free agent market for a guy who is a bad outside shooter and who was just traded for next to nothing.

If he gets offered contract in the neighborhood of 15-20 mil it will be for one year, like the one Caldwell-Pope signed with the Lakers.

He can't shoot from outside. Those guys do not and should not get funny money in the modern NBA.
I think you are overlooking the reason he was traded. Washington is in cap hell and knew they would lose him for nothing on the free agent market because they couldn't afford to match the offers he would get. That is why he was traded for so little because they would get cap relief next year with an expiring and it allowed them to get something in return. I also think you are underestimating his value. He is a two way player that teams will be willing to throw at least a moderate amount of money and years at. His three pointer is inconsistent, but he also shoots north of 30% and teams will likely believe that he can improve upon that number.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I will take Oubre over TJ any day. he is a fun exciting player to watch. IMO, TJ is the odd man out.

If he plays the rest of the season like he did last night he's going to get more than 15m per year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Kelly is a finished product and as such, I'd likely be willing to overpay. I'm not sure I'd go for the max but I'd definitely sign off in the 15 to 20 range. It might bite us in the ass but a 20 million dollar mistake is easier to swallow, right now, then letting a good player go elsewhere for a few million dollars.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not all that worried because I don't think he's going to get offered anywhere near the money you guys are talking about... however, tossing around 15-20 mil, 4 year contracts to relatively mediocre players because they had some money to toss around is how the Wizards and Blazers got in their untenable cap situations, forcing them to dump young players down the road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave