How attractive is the Cards job vs the other openings?

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here are the open jobs. Not going to count the Raiders considering that seems to be a done deal.

Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Chicago
Detroit
New York Giants

The QB question is obviously the biggest knock on the Cards opening.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I would say the Giants are at the top because they have the #2 pick and lots of talent on that roster on both sides of the ball.

if the Broncos open up a search, they always jump right to the top.

I would say other than those two, the Cardinals are right near the top,

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
QB is the big concern and is what puts us near the bottom. Indy has Luck and Brissett, and the number 3 pick. Giants have #2. Chicago has Mitch. Detroit has Stafford. Cincy is garbage, and is a worse option than us. QB just means so much. IF we drafted #2 or #3, we would be near the top of the list. #15 is just a no mans land, and if Palmer retires, we have no QBs under contract.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Cards have the key athletes that could be formed into a championship in 2 years with the right additional personnel decisions. Defense wins championships most often.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Cards have the key athletes that could be formed into a championship in 2 years with the right additional personnel decisions. Defense wins championships most often.
I have a slight disagreement with that. QBs win championships most often, but they do need at least a league average defense to do so. I think we are close enough on defense. I think QB and OL are the things that are the biggest question marks.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arizona has more year round golf courses. No really severe weather other than extreme heat and our division games are within a 2 hr flight.
Can’t think of anything else.
No QB, no Wrs, no oline, no top ten pick, no Ilbs

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is important for a coach is the management organization that he will be going into. Bidwill and Keim are class people, MB has put the money into building a first class environment. Jim Irsay the Colts owner is an obnoxious drug addicted jerk. The Giants with the Mara's are solid but NYC can be a tough place to coach. The ownership in Detroit is non-existent with the Ford family. The Bears are the Bears and the GM Ryan Pace made moves without including the coach. The Bengals have not yet parted with Marvin Lewis but the owner Mike Brown is the cheapest owner in the NFL. Carson Palmer hated being there, but refuses to talk about it.
IMO the Cards can offer an attractive package. Their weakness is not having a franchise qb but do have some core players especially the defense.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
What is important for a coach is the management organization that he will be going into

I think this is what the Card have going for them. An owner that wants to win amd seems to have found that balance between support without meddling, and a GM that will listen

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona has more year round golf courses. No really severe weather other than extreme heat and our division games are within a 2 hr flight.
Can’t think of anything else.
No QB, no Wrs, no oline, no top ten pick, no Ilbs
Good defense. That’s all I really got though.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards have an old roster, but we aren't a trainwreck. We have a GM/Ownership who have built up competence within the organization. Keim has also shown to be adapt at the waiver wire, and bargain free agency filling holes.

I think, like with Arians, Keim is going to tailor who they get based off what the new coach wants. Cardinal decisions.

Cardinals as a team are highly regarded in league circles, as well as Keim is.

I also think we're not correctly matching what teams need coaches, and what's out there.

We have one of the best running backs. One of the best corners. One of the best pass rushers. These are known. Trubisky is still an unknown. Draft picks are still unknowns.

This might be the best timing. There's some potentially good coaches out there, and we're in the race for them from the beginning.

Even then we're doing our due diligence and looking at a wide ranging selection of individuals. We're the only team I've heard that has requested permission with at least 5 people and our coach just retired.

These other teams have known they were going to fire their guys for most of the year, and yet we are already more on the ball then they are.

I get that we don't have a QB. That Fitz might retire. I get all that. But I still see us as the best opening out there.

The Browns have a bunch of cap space, draft picks, and some good young talent. They still are an organization in turmoil. But they haven't even fired their head coach yet, and likely won't. So it doesn't matter what they have, when there is no opening.

The Raiders are going back to Gruden. That's their own universe situation.

I really think our organizational foundation is stronger then anyone else. The Giants owner had no clue how dysfunctional the Giants had become. They have issues.

These other teams, seemingly, are trying to find out what they don't know, and what the right questions they even need to ask about themselves. Flailing in the wind.

We've already done that. That was the last 10-15 years.

I think we are on top of all this. I think we can give a younger head coach the support he'll need to be successful. These other train wrecks? Maybe not so much.

Doesn't mean they can't succeed elsewhere, but it could be harder, even with an Andrew Luck (is he ever going to be healthy?), Eli is old in NY, Bears have Trubisky but he was not Watson this year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions hire from within. They would be a competitor, but Terryl Austin might be their front runner. They've asked permission to talk to Patricia. This could be a situation where they figure out who is the better D coach for them. Austin or Patricia. They'll probably talk to others, but its interesting they are doing that. It could just be final due diligence on whether Austin is their guy. Just see if Patricia blows you away over Austin, and if not, hire Austin.

But that's who we're competing against. Colts, Giants, Bears, and maybe Lions.

The Colts, Giants, and Bears resemble to me, how the Cardinals USED to run things.

Obviously I'm a homer, but I don't think the Giants, Colts, or Bears look like a better situation than us. They look like they are trying to find a savior for all things. So they're likely looking for their next coach to fire when he doesn't save all things.

We're looking for a coach, and maybe a fresh young mind. We don't reek of desperation.

So imo it's really basically us and the Lions, and the Lions might already have their head coach on the staff.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is important for a coach is the management organization that he will be going into. Bidwill and Keim are class people, MB has put the money into building a first class environment. Jim Irsay the Colts owner is an obnoxious drug addicted jerk. The Giants with the Mara's are solid but NYC can be a tough place to coach. The ownership in Detroit is non-existent with the Ford family. The Bears are the Bears and the GM Ryan Pace made moves without including the coach. The Bengals have not yet parted with Marvin Lewis but the owner Mike Brown is the cheapest owner in the NFL. Carson Palmer hated being there, but refuses to talk about it.
IMO the Cards can offer an attractive package. Their weakness is not having a franchise qb but do have some core players especially the defense.

This is definitely what Michael will sell to prospective HC’s. With the new stadium, beautiful amenities, much stronger fan base, the Cardinal organization is no longer a laughingstock. Quite the contrary. It’ll be up to Keim to spell out to prospective HC’s his plans to right this ship quickly. If they bring in Shurmur, I’m sure he may be able to also bring in one of their 3 QB’s. I’d be fine with any of the 3.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have had the best record, we have been plagued by injuries, there is the better climate during the official season, the fan base is great and our dome is amazing
No other spots could be more attractive then Arizona
:newcards:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd say we're somewhere in the middle.

1. Raiders - I was going to push them down the list but that's a roster one year removed from a great season, soon they'll move to Vegas and thus the tax situation will be great, with a brand new stadium. They're built to win soon.

2. Bears - This all depends on how much you like Trubisky as an incoming coach. If you're confident he's the future, that roster is decent, it's a solid organization with a ton of history, and good fans.

3. Lions - They have plenty of pieces in place, but who the hell wants to live in Detroit? Plus the team is just consistently a disaster, which has to start with ownership.

4. Cardinals - I'd really put us at tied for third. Good weather, a locker room that doesn't have much drama, a top flight running back, solid defense... you're not coming into an organization that is in disarray, our coach just retired. A lot of talent coming back off of IR. If you're a Pat Shurmur, and you can bring Case Keenum with you for a stopgap while picking up a younger QB to groom in the draft, I think it's clear our leadership wants to win and will take steps to bring in talent. It's just a matter of the coach's confidence in solving the QB issue with few resources.

5. Colts - I almost put them last. The reason is simple: I don't know if Andrew Luck is ever going to play again. If he's coming back healthy, this probably moves to #1 or 2. Having to sit there and figure out if you need to replace Luck with that #3 pick is going to be a very tense moment. And if no one is worth it at #3? You're stuck with another year of Brissett.

6. Giants - Keep me away from this one, if I'm a head coach. I've got to decide what to do with one of the organization's greatest QBs of all time, my most talented player is a recently injured headcase, the entire roster is in disarray and is going to need to be pretty much blown up and rebuilt from the ground up... plus I need to deal with the New York media? Groan. At least they have the number 2 overall pick, where I can pick one of the top two QBs, or some other top tier talent.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am pretty much guessing at this, but I would expect that a lot of those candidates are east coast or S/E coast people and can't help wondering if most don't see all the teams east of the Rockies as being where the action is. Some may still very well see the West coast teams as the minor leagues, with very little successful history and being very removed from everything they know and care about. SF possibly a slight exception.

So, in many of their minds, they may see a job like Indy or the like, as much preferable to especially AZ. Now obviously there are exceptions, especially any that were originally west coast people, or those so passed over that they would be excited if offered any head coaching position, say like a Joe Bugal. I just think lots of them are more comfortable with everything being back east like travel, the media, other coaches and football people, etc.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a QB out there that a new head coach might want to make the Cardinals job more attractive?

Example, the Suns acquired Steve Nash for Mike D'Antoni. It was a successful relationship.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is a team that just went 8-8 largely with backup quarterbacks and the best, most dynamic running back in the NFL out on IR all season.

The defensive personell is largely in place and very good.

Ownership and front office are stable, competent, and driven.

Candidates should view this a prime opportunity to take over a solid team, install their offensive adjustments, and make an instant playoff run.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a team that just went 8-8 largely with backup quarterbacks and the best, most dynamic running back in the NFL out on IR all season.

The defensive personell is largely in place and very good.

Ownership and front office are stable, competent, and driven.

Candidates should view this a prime opportunity to take over a solid team, install their offensive adjustments, and make an instant playoff run.

Good points. This team healthy makes the playoffs. I thought our OL even with injuries did a decent job down the stretch.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
If Palmer decides to go with BA, give me Viking OC Shurmur and Bradford for a year or two along with a QBOF in the draft. Get Fitz and Johnson back and some OL and the Cards are competitive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'd say we're somewhere in the middle.

1. Raiders - I was going to push them down the list but that's a roster one year removed from a great season, soon they'll move to Vegas and thus the tax situation will be great, with a brand new stadium. They're built to win soon.

2. Bears - This all depends on how much you like Trubisky as an incoming coach. If you're confident he's the future, that roster is decent, it's a solid organization with a ton of history, and good fans.

3. Lions - They have plenty of pieces in place, but who the hell wants to live in Detroit? Plus the team is just consistently a disaster, which has to start with ownership.

4. Cardinals - I'd really put us at tied for third. Good weather, a locker room that doesn't have much drama, a top flight running back, solid defense... you're not coming into an organization that is in disarray, our coach just retired. A lot of talent coming back off of IR. If you're a Pat Shurmur, and you can bring Case Keenum with you for a stopgap while picking up a younger QB to groom in the draft, I think it's clear our leadership wants to win and will take steps to bring in talent. It's just a matter of the coach's confidence in solving the QB issue with few resources.

5. Colts - I almost put them last. The reason is simple: I don't know if Andrew Luck is ever going to play again. If he's coming back healthy, this probably moves to #1 or 2. Having to sit there and figure out if you need to replace Luck with that #3 pick is going to be a very tense moment. And if no one is worth it at #3? You're stuck with another year of Brissett.

6. Giants - Keep me away from this one, if I'm a head coach. I've got to decide what to do with one of the organization's greatest QBs of all time, my most talented player is a recently injured headcase, the entire roster is in disarray and is going to need to be pretty much blown up and rebuilt from the ground up... plus I need to deal with the New York media? Groan. At least they have the number 2 overall pick, where I can pick one of the top two QBs, or some other top tier talent.

Giants are a blue blood franchise with a great owner. They hired a GM with a good track record. They still have Eli. They have the number 2 pick in the draft. You have to add talent and you have to turn around the culture, but that can be said for every team. You aren't giving it the credit it is due.

Indy has a bad owner, and that is the heart of the issue. However, they have a good GM, two legit NFL QBs on the roster, and the #3 pick. They have some young players to build around. Another team where you have to add talent and change the culture, but again, that is everywhere.

Cardinals have a good owner, and some talent, but also lots of transition and some bog contracts on the books. If Palmer retires, then you do not have a QB signed for 2018. That is a big issue. You have a front office that has struggled with round 1 picks. A big issue. The QB issue alone with either cost 17 mil for Keenum, 25 mil for Cousins, or multiple 1st round picks to solve. That is more resources taken away from adding talent, and then you have to replace a very well liked head coach in Arians. AZ is not the worst franchise of the bunch, but is the worst situation to walk into outside of the Bears. It is close.

Lions and Raiders both have legit NFL QBs to work with which is a huge advantage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We also have to consider the division. The division has Russ Wilson, McVay/Goff, and Shannahan/Garappolo. Three young QBs, and two young head coaches. Not ideal.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Location, location, location. Interview candidates outside with 75 degree weather on a Scottsdale golf course or in Detroit, Chicago, New York, Indy, Cincy where its 10 below and snowing.

Just having fun. Few candidates turn down HC jobs as there are only 32 of them. The only team that I can recall having a tough time getting an HC was the Raiders when Al Davis was still alive. No one wanted to work for him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson