Holiday Cards Mock

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My draft rules.

1. Take the BPA, regardless of need in the 1st round
2. Never take an interior lineman in the first round.
3. Anything after the 3rd round is a crap shoot. Draft athletes.
4. Use 2nd round for need.
5. Do not be afraid to trade down for bundled picks.

BTW; I believe this is a weak top of the draft.

spanky1

Reaction score
My draft rules.

wally,

I respectfully disagree that this is a weak draft at the top.

In Luck, you have one of the best QB prospects in years; with Blackmon you have one of the better WR's (compared to Fitzgerald by some); two game changing CB's; three OT's; and a RB that is simply a "beast".

JMHO

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wally,

I respectfully disagree that this is a weak draft at the top.

In Luck, you have one of the best QB prospects in years; with Blackmon you have one of the better WR's (compared to Fitzgerald by some); two game changing CB's; three OT's; and a RB that is simply a "beast".

JMHO

I respect your disagree, but I disagree. Comparing this draft stock to last years' draft ( which was exceptional ), I find a major difference in quality.

If Griffin comes out, this is a 2 qb draft. I do not like Landry Jones. I also do not like Blackmon as much as others do. He has Boldin's build and speed. That, imho, does not make him top 12 pick. Richardson is more like Ingram than Peterson. Last year was a feast for OTs, at least 4 are starting as rookies, this year a few ?s.

I tend to evaluate Big 12 and Pac 10 QBs and WRs with a jaundiced eye. The Big 12 does not play defense, See last nights Alamo Bowl as an example. Throughout the season there were offensive shootouts galore, and most of it because those defenses tend to play touch football rules.

While slobbering over last year's draft, I don't expect nearly the level this year. I believe the true value is in the 2nd half of the 1st round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My draft rules.

#2 is inaccurate. You should never reach for an interior OL in the first round, but like S, if a OG generates a solid first round grade, then you can take one. Both Pouncey brothers, Steve Hutchinson, Danny Watkins, Alex Mack, Eric Mangold, and Logan Mankins show that you can get a very good player by taking a highly rated interior offensive linemen in round 1.

You are right when you say that it is a weak draft. A lack of edge rushers (DE or OLB), highly rated OTs w/ left tackle potential, and now a thin top 15 class at QB make this class underwhelming. The CB depth is the one redeeming position in the first round and the DT class might turn out some first rounders after workouts.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I respect your disagree, but I disagree. Comparing this draft stock to last years' draft ( which was exceptional ), I find a major difference in quality.

If Griffin comes out, this is a 2 qb draft. I do not like Landry Jones. I also do not like Blackmon as much as others do. He has Boldin's build and speed. That, imho, does not make him top 12 pick. Richardson is more like Ingram than Peterson. Last year was a feast for OTs, at least 4 are starting as rookies, this year a few ?s.

I tend to evaluate Big 12 and Pac 10 QBs and WRs with a jaundiced eye. The Big 12 does not play defense, See last nights Alamo Bowl as an example. Throughout the season there were offensive shootouts galore, and most of it because those defenses tend to play touch football rules.

While slobbering over last year's draft, I don't expect nearly the level this year. I believe the true value is in the 2nd half of the 1st round.

Agree with most of this. Luck is the only QB that warrants top 10 consideration in my opinion, but RGIII will end up going higher because his stock is high, and he is the 2nd best QB. Agree w/ you on Landry Jones, and I wonder if he will even declare at this point since he has been passed up by RGIII.

WR is always sketchy in the first round. I don't think Blackmon is as good as Dez Bryant and Bryant went in the 20's. Floyd doesn't get seperation and Jeffrey seems a little too much like Mike Williams out of USC. Workouts might change Jeffrey's stock the most of this top group. Kendall Wright might elevate himself into the first round if he works out fast.

I agree w/ Richardson, and believe that he will go in the teens. If he is available at 12 (or when we pick) he might provide the best trade option for AZ because Cleve and Cincy might look to move up for him as well as the Jets.

CB's look to go early and often due to a lack of premier defensive linemen this year, and linebacker's will drop because of the limited snaps that ILB's get which is where this class seems deepest at.

Totally agree that top value in this draft presents at the end of round 1 and through the end of round 2.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with most of this. Luck is the only QB that warrants top 10 consideration in my opinion, but RGIII will end up going higher because his stock is high, and he is the 2nd best QB. Agree w/ you on Landry Jones, and I wonder if he will even declare at this point since he has been passed up by RGIII.

WR is always sketchy in the first round. I don't think Blackmon is as good as Dez Bryant and Bryant went in the 20's. Floyd doesn't get seperation and Jeffrey seems a little too much like Mike Williams out of USC. Workouts might change Jeffrey's stock the most of this top group. Kendall Wright might elevate himself into the first round if he works out fast.

I agree w/ Richardson, and believe that he will go in the teens. If he is available at 12 (or when we pick) he might provide the best trade option for AZ because Cleve and Cincy might look to move up for him as well as the Jets.

CB's look to go early and often due to a lack of premier defensive linemen this year, and linebacker's will drop because of the limited snaps that ILB's get which is where this class seems deepest at.

Totally agree that top value in this draft presents at the end of round 1 and through the end of round 2.

Just wondering, since TEs and pass catching RBs are becoming the new flavor, will this increase the value of ILBs who might have to cover them?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Just wondering, since TEs and pass catching RBs are becoming the new flavor, will this increase the value of ILBs who might have to cover them?

I see 3 down LB's becoming high demand players, but ILB in a 3-4 are tradionally a bit bigger, especially at SILB. One thing to consider however is that San Fran has very physical ILBs and neither are over 245. One reason that I don't hate the idea of drafting Kuechly in the first if we are a bit farther down.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I saw where a scout said this was the worst draft for OT's in the last 20 years. After the top 5-10, thanks to juniors declaring, if Reiff and Martin do declare, there is a huge falloff. Figures that would be the case when the Cards may need to draft 2 of them.

The ideal situation would be the Cards to sign Bell, re-sign Levi and move him to RT, then draft DeCastro who is considered about the best OG,by far, to come along since Hutchinson.

spanky1

Reaction score
I saw where a scout said this was the worst draft for OT's in the last 20 years. After the top 5-10, thanks to juniors declaring, if Reiff and Martin do declare, there is a huge falloff. Figures that would be the case when the Cards may need to draft 2 of them.

The ideal situation would be the Cards to sign Bell, re-sign Levi and move him to RT, then draft DeCastro who is considered about the best OG,by far, to come along since Hutchinson.

What would a "reasonable" contract for Levi Brown look like if we did move him to RT?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Martin is not big. He is slow. Not a great athlete. Probably will be over drafted because of need by some team.

The most excitement in this draft will probably be teams jockeying draft positions for Robert Griffin, if he comes out. If the Rams win the pick, they draft Luck and trade Bradford. If the Colts win the pick ( doubtful ), they draft Luck and Griffin is on the board. Minnesota wins the pick and they trade down. After the first 2 picks, good luck for value. I suspect there will be more trade ups and downs in this draft since the ramifications of CBA have been in place. Last year it was still a mystery, since the draft took place before ratification. That could make it exciting. Even the Cards could get involved and get away from the nervous jitters because of thePace\Bryant blunder. That is history.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Martin is not big. He is slow. Not a great athlete. Probably will be over drafted because of need by some team.

The most excitement in this draft will probably be teams jockeying draft positions for Robert Griffin, if he comes out. If the Rams win the pick, they draft Luck and trade Bradford. If the Colts win the pick ( doubtful ), they draft Luck and Griffin is on the board. Minnesota wins the pick and they trade down. After the first 2 picks, good luck for value. I suspect there will be more trade ups and downs in this draft since the ramifications of CBA have been in place. Last year it was still a mystery, since the draft took place before ratification. That could make it exciting. Even the Cards could get involved and get away from the nervous jitters because of thePace\Bryant blunder. That is history.

I'm starting to think that Kalil is the only can't miss OT in this years draft. I might be tempted to take Upshaw if he is still on the boards when we draft. Otherwise, would Cincy be interested in a trade up with their 1st round pick from Oakland (#19 or #20) and give us a 2nd round pick?

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
What would a "reasonable" contract for Levi Brown look like if we did move him to RT?
That's a good question. I guess alot depends on if he wants to be paid as a starting LT, which I assume he'll want since that is what he has done for the past few years, albeit not that great.

It will be fun to watch because Levi seems to be one of Whiz's guys. He usually defends him and has just this past week. Then there are other guys where you have to pry a compliment out of Whiz even when they perform well. If Levi is reasonable, I think he gets re-signed. I think he was due almost 18 mill next year. Maybe give him 5 years/ 20-25 mill with a 10 mill signing bonus. Before everyone gets up in arms remember OT is one of the highest paid positions and factor in they're paying a bigger contract than that to Stewart Bradley to play special teams. At least LB starts and would probably could become a top level RT.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's a good question. I guess alot depends on if he wants to be paid as a starting LT, which I assume he'll want since that is what he has done for the past few years, albeit not that great.

It will be fun to watch because Levi seems to be one of Whiz's guys. He usually defends him and has just this past week. Then there are other guys where you have to pry a compliment out of Whiz even when they perform well. If Levi is reasonable, I think he gets re-signed. I think he was due almost 18 mill next year. Maybe give him 5 years/ 20-25 mill with a 10 mill signing bonus. Before everyone gets up in arms remember OT is one of the highest paid positions and factor in they're paying a bigger contract than that to Stewart Bradley to play special teams. At least LB starts and would probably could become a top level RT.

Prediction: He'll want left tackle $$$ from the Cards and will eventually sign for right tackle $$$ with someone else.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
no chnce he will sign here..after being cut is like leaving your wife for another girl and then come back to the first one

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot:

Round 1 - OLB Courtney Upshaw - Legitimate pass rusher / run stuffer.

* Would take Vinny Curry if we traded down

Round 3 - OT Nate Potter - Solid tackle who kept Kellen Moore upright.

Round 4 - OT Matt Reynolds - Potential RT for next 10 years.

Round 5 - OLB Sammy Brown - Small but wrecks havoc in backfield.

Round 6 - SS Eddie Pleasant - ORE DB's always seem to do well in pros.

Round 7 - ILB Chris Galippo - Thick and stout to anchor inside.

WR help can be added via free agency.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot:

While I see where you were going with this, I really do not like Upshaw as a first round talent. I have yet to see burst from him as a pass rusher, and he always seems to be plodding around the field. Maybe he will show more in the offseason workouts, but he has not impressed me at all as a rusher.

Potter and Reynolds are both interesting as they have both been highly touted and then have fallen off. Potter interests me the most in the 3rd - 5th rounds because he appears to be very athletic.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Im getting more dejected on Martin by the day. The single line that pops up in virtually every report ive read on him "Non-aggressive" (or some variation of that word). Guy doesnt play through, he doesnt pop guys in the mouth, hes not competetive on an individual level.

You can be quiet and reserved, like Adub, but you gotta show that you can level a fool from time to time. Martin reportedly never does. Hes a timid LT with 'ok' strength.

BPA -CB, WR, Oline (which will prob be Decastro), OLB. I dont like Martin one bit. If we can get that 2nd rounder back, theres guys there that I really like. Keep in mind we dont need a star LT. No joe thomas or jake Long. We are Dead last in the NFL at LT. ANY measure of talent at that spot will seem like an exponential improvement. Plenty of values guys in the 2nd

eyerolls/groans. Maybe we should go get Larrys brother too. E.Acho isnt a shadow of Sam. We could probably get that dude in the 6th, or maybe undrafted all together. It was incredible the way Sam fell to us and he was 20x better than Emman. + hes coming off knee injuries. + if he doesnt work out, I wouldnt want him being cut to effect Sams relationship with the team.

Where did you get this ridiculous information? The Science Fiction Channel?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where did you get this ridiculous information? The Science Fiction Channel?
i dont know how much emmanuel is good like a player..anyway i read before the draft that sam acho will be a better player if he doesnt play with his brother cause the relationship he has with his brother is so strong that could hurt also his development and production..he will be more focused in his brother then with his play..so the love for his brother could be a distraction for him..

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot:

This is my favorite so far. Guys like Curry and Perry are nowhere near NFL ready as Upshaw. Granted i'm higher on CU then anyone else in here but you can't overlook physicality and football IQ. He does everything for Saban and while he might not have ideal edge explosiveness he doesn't have flaws. Depth at OLB is key. We can even play and disguise all 3 (Upshaw, Acho and Schofield) at the same time.

One dimensional pass rushers are overrated. I think right now OBS is more of an explosive rusher but we need depth there and Upshaw already plays 3-4 at Bama. Not a convert like the other OLB prospects. Assuming Bradley gets it together and CC is back we really won't have a weakness in our front 7.

Love Potter in the 3rd and Reynolds might be able to step in because he's older.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
Like this draft, especially getting Upshaw, who also has experience as a MLB. This would make the LB corp one of the best in the NFL; and a group that gets to the QB. A short writeup on Potter.

Nate Potter, Boise State, 6-6, 300, 5.10, SR … Smart, technically polished LT prospect; has good body length, but doesn’t have prototype long arms; also not all that bulky at barely 300 pounds; has a thin lower body and isn’t particularly strong; has some short-area quickness, good balance and body control and can bend his knees; consistently gains leverage off the snap and plays to the whistle; understands the game and doesn’t make many mistakes; has an adequate slide step and mirrors well both drive blocking and in pass protection; also takes good angles and can seal off defenders; not very physical, though, and doesn’t get much push; also can be bull-rushed protecting the pocket; and while he has a reasonably quick first step, he lacks elite feet and struggles to cut off the edge against fast outside pass rushers; has been banged up at times in his career, but has battled through the issues; versatile player could also play inside at OG in a zone blocking scheme; bottom line is that there is a lot to like in a hard-working player that knows the game and has some athletic ability, but may be overrated because of somewhat limited upside resulting from a lack of real strength and elite feet.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
Mosley wold be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th. He sure looks great tonght against Virginia. His # is 75.

Maybe they could trade up from the 4th and take 2 OT in the 3rd.

Brandon Mosley, Auburn, 6-5, 310, 5.25, SR … Interesting prospect who played DE and TE at the prep and junior college levels, but came off the bench to star at OT the Tigers during their championship run last fall when he started the final 11 games of the year mostly at RT; athletic player with long arms and light feet; also has very good functional strength; physical run blocker, but isn’t all that technically polished; same as a pass blocker as he has upside tools, but is very raw.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard