Heroes and Goats: CHI @ ARI

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Could you just hear all the Sam Bradford Truthers ready to come out of the woodwork and praise the turnaround? They'll slink back into the shadows, only to come out to remind fans that their misery is poisonous to the players, who can only succeed on the crest of our unconditional praise.

Can we say this yet? Steve Wilks probably isn't a bad head coach, but he's not a good head coach. Will he add value on game day over some of the best minds in the league? I don't see that happening. Can he instill discipline on a team that perhaps had become a little loose in the last two or three years?

We'll see.

You must be registered for see images attach
Robert Nkeimdiche, DT - Steve Keim drafted 'Diche to replace a Pro Bowl 5-technique DT. He's blossoming as a three-technique in a 4-3 defense.

Christian Kirk, WR - I don't know if the local product can be a Top 25 wide receiver in the NFL, but he's definitely shown that he can play in this league for a while.

Patrick Peterson, CB - A transcendent talent who would excel in any scheme or system he's placed in. With two years left on his contract, Cards have to start considering whether they want P-twice for his career, or could extract a first and third round pick for him after this season.

Steve Wilks, HC - I mentioned in Week 1 that Wilks' rotations are odd. That was about the defensive line, this is about Chase Edmonds being put into a platoon with David Johnson, which is mystifying. If you're not convinced that David Johnson is a back who can carry the load, why pay him?

Sam Bradford, QB - Where will Sam Bradford get his next fresh start? I'm guessing Dallas will bring him in to pressure Dak Prescott next year.

Markus Golden, DE - I don't understand the rush to get Golden back on the field. He clearly hasn't been ready, and he was a huge liability on the edge in this game.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could you just hear all the Sam Bradford Truthers ready to come out of the woodwork and praise the turnaround? They'll slink back into the shadows, only to come out to remind fans that their misery is poisonous to the players, who can only succeed on the crest of our unconditional praise.

Can we say this yet? Steve Wilks probably isn't a bad head coach, but he's not a good head coach. Will he add value on game day over some of the best minds in the league? I don't see that happening. Can he instill discipline on a team that perhaps had become a little loose in the last two or three years?

We'll see.

Robert Nkeimdiche, DT - Steve Keim drafted 'Diche to replace a Pro Bowl 5-technique DT. He's blossoming as a three-technique in a 4-3 defense.

Christian Kirk, WR - I don't know if the local product can be a Top 25 wide receiver in the NFL, but he's definitely shown that he can play in this league for a while.

Patrick Peterson, CB - A transcendent talent who would excel in any scheme or system he's placed in. With two years left on his contract, Cards have to start considering whether they want P-twice for his career, or could extract a first and third round pick for him after this season.

Steve Wilks, HC - I mentioned in Week 1 that Wilks' rotations are odd. That was about the defensive line, this is about Chase Edmonds being put into a platoon with David Johnson, which is mystifying. If you're not convinced that David Johnson is a back who can carry the load, why pay him?

Sam Bradford, QB - Where will Sam Bradford get his next fresh start? I'm guessing Dallas will bring him in to pressure Dak Prescott next year.

Markus Golden, DE - I don't understand the rush to get Golden back on the field. He clearly hasn't been ready, and he was a huge liability on the edge in this game.

Johnson was in on 84% of snaps.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was about the defensive line, this is about Chase Edmonds being put into a platoon with David Johnson, which is mystifying. If you're not convinced that David Johnson is a back who can carry the load, why pay him?

This seems to have mystified everyone.

There's a line in the movie Platoon that goes something like... "I've got a bad feelin' about this one."

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Random thoughts:

1) Why have Peterson field the last punt? I think Kirk is a more dynamic returner at this point in PP's career and why risk getting him injured?

2) Steve Wilks - Can he be a good coach? The jury is still out. If he will become a great head coach...he will need to be more involved with the offense (David Johnson is a workhorse RB and you need to overrule McCoy). That should never happen again.

2b) I give him credit for benching Buchanon, Reddick, Bradford, and Taylor. I love BA but he was too stubborn to make moves like this.

3) Mike McCoy - I think this next game will be telling. I don't think anyone likes him as the OC but if Rosen can execute the offense, the pressure is significantly reduced on MM. Otherwise, he will be a goner.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything ultimately rolls up to Wilks.

I would say it all roles up to Keim but yeah Wilks is the one ultimately responsible for his team.

With that said, being in the middle of a two minute drill probably isn't the best time to be questioning your OC's play calls. The guy was hired to do a job. If McCoy continues to fail at his job then you send him packing.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Random thoughts:

1) Why have Peterson field the last punt? I think Kirk is a more dynamic returner at this point in PP's career and why risk getting him injured?

2) Steve Wilks - Can he be a good coach? The jury is still out. If he will become a great head coach...he will need to be more involved with the offense (David Johnson is a workhorse RB and you need to overrule McCoy). That should never happen again.

2b) I give him credit for benching Buchanon, Reddick, Bradford, and Taylor. I love BA but he was too stubborn to make moves like this.

3) Mike McCoy - I think this next game will be telling. I don't think anyone likes him as the OC but if Rosen can execute the offense, the pressure is significantly reduced on MM. Otherwise, he will be a goner.

Dont worry, peterson doesnt want to get tackled returning punts, he just run as fast as he can outside the field

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
@K9, Can we talk about the image you used for Goat in your post. I mean it is stupendously ugly like the Cardinals play. Well chosen Sir!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

My God... the thought of no Peterson locking down half the field freaks the hell out of me... :eek:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Kirk but he has a lot to learn still. On Rosen's INT, Kirk rounds his route allowing the DB to get underneath and pick off the ball.

Here you see Kirk starting his break at the 37 as Rosen throws to where he is expecting him to be (somewhere near the 35):

Two steps out of his cut and Kirk is rounding his pattern when he should be closer to the red dashed line.

By the time the ball approaches Kirk he is 4 yards deeper than Rosen is expecting allowing the DB to undercut the route. If Kirk runs a crisp out-route the DB has no chance at the INT and this is a first down.

The poise that Rosen showed really impressed me. Rosen knew that taking a sack or throwing the ball away was not an option on 4th down. He delivered a perfect pass under duress. It would have been a first down had Kirk ran a more disciplined route.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like Kirk but he has a lot to learn still. On Rosen's INT, Kirk rounds his route allowing the DB to get underneath and pick off the ball.

Here you see Kirk starting his break at the 37 as Rosen throws to where he is expecting him to be (somewhere near the 35):

Two steps out of his cut and Kirk is rounding his pattern when he should be closer to the red dashed line.

By the time the ball approaches Kirk he is 4 yards deeper than Rosen is expecting allowing the DB to undercut the route. If Kirk runs a crisp out-route the DB has no chance at the INT and this is a first down.

The poise that Rosen showed really impressed me. Rosen knew that taking a sack or throwing the ball away was not an option on 4th down. He delivered a perfect pass under duress. It would have been a first down had Kirk ran a more disciplined route.

MCD, great analysis.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

Looking forward to seeing them develop together

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

What stands out to me? No separation from any wr.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Circular problems abound when the WR's can't get separation so the offense doesn't go. They have to force the balls and they get picked off, or the qb has to dump the ball to the flats. Then McCoy looks like a fool so he gets overconservative and calls for a counter run on 3rd and 2.

I think Kirk can be a solid starting slot receiver in the league. A reliable possession guy. He's not a large jump target and not a speed demon.
To make this offense go, and to get us back to competitiveness, we need a WR1 and WR2. Larry is Larry, but I can't say how long he'll stay here and put up with this. Get some guys who defenses have to respect, and the games will normalize very quickly. DJ can run the rock if the box isn't stacked due to an inept passing game. The line was fine (got overrun on an unexpected blitz on the final Hail Mary, but that wasn't poor play, just being outcoached.)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When it happened live I assumed Josh was trying to backshoulder or throw Kirk open. After seeing him get hit on the replay I assumed it just came up short. But you may in fact be right.

Just a great play by Mack to bother the throw