Healthy Fast Food Is Nothing But A Myth

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Healthy Fast Food Is Nothing But A Myth

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...d-is-nothing-but-a-myth/ar-BBt1NYP?li=BBnb7Kz

When McDonald’s sales dipped by 2.6 percent in 2015, experts attributed part of it to the rise of casual chain restaurants, like Chipotle and Panera, which promise meals with a better nutritional value and GMO-free ingredients. Many dieters think they can keep their calorie intake down by skipping McDonald’s or Burger King and heading straight to Panera, but are they right?

Researchers from the University of South Carolina have concluded an exhaustive review of more than 50 fast food and fast casual restaurants to decide which has higher calorie counts per meal. Their results show that fast casual restaurants actually have more calories per meal compared to traditional fast food establishments.

"We were surprised that there were higher calories at fast casual restaurants, but one of the main takeaways from the paper is that there are a lot of high-calorie options at both kinds of restaurants," said Danielle Schoffman, the study’s lead researcher, in a statement.

Schoffman and her colleagues examined menus from 34 fast food and 28 fast casual restaurants. Calorie count was the only nutritional value the research team focused on. Schoffman came up for the idea of the study after a similar study in which she encouraged families to reduce their fast food consumption. The common question she kept getting was “Does Chipotle or Panera count as fast food?”

While fast food entrees contained, on average, 561 calories, entrees from fast casual restaurants averaged 760 calories. Fast casual restaurants also had a higher number of entrees that exceeded 640 calories. The research team now plans to conduct further research on other markers of a quality diet, such as sodium and fiber levels.

"There has been such growth in this fast casual industry," said researcher Brie Turner-McGrievy. "We wanted to see if these fast casual restaurants would be a better choice for people who are watching their calorie intake. Are people who are looking to lose weight and cut calories better off going to Chipotle or Burger King?"

Whether it’s Panera, McDonald’s, or Olive Garden, we get exactly what we pay for with food cooked outside of our own kitchen. Researchers from Tufts University examined 364 different restaurant meals in Boston, San Francisco, and Little Rock, Ark., between 2011 and 2014. Their findings revealed that an alarming 92 percent of restaurant meals exceed the calorie recommendation for a single meal.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"news"

If you want to be healthy, stick to the produce, meat and bread sections of the grocery store. Cut out the rest.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wow these studies are going full potato now aren't they? I cant believe that in 2016 people are still counting calories. What an ignorant way to approach your diet.

If you eat a meal from Chipotle that has 700 calories but consists of high protein Lean steak, brown rice, black beans, quacamole and fresh veggie salsa, cheese etc... Your body processes all that just a bit differently than it will a big mac and fries and a coke.

Same at panera. There are way more healthy choices to be made that actually have nutrition in them. Whereas your "healthy choice" from mcdonalds is a wilted salad or a dry piece of "chicken breast".

Guacamole has good fats, black beans are crazy high in fiber as is the brown rice, antioxidents, vitamins as opposed to the nutritional content of a super sized greasy burger with questionable meat and no vegetables. Most importantly, one is REAL FOOD and the other is chemically processed mystery meat from god knows where...

Common sense people. One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Wow these studies are going full potato now aren't they? I cant believe that in 2016 people are still counting calories. What an ignorant way to approach your diet.

If you eat a meal from Chipotle that has 700 calories but consists of high protein Lean steak, brown rice, black beans, quacamole and fresh veggie salsa, cheese etc... Your body processes all that just a bit differently than it will a big mac and fries and a coke.

Same at panera. There are way more healthy choices to be made that actually have nutrition in them. Whereas your "healthy choice" from mcdonalds is a wilted salad or a dry piece of "chicken breast".

Guacamole has good fats, black beans are crazy high in fiber as is the brown rice, antioxidents, vitamins as opposed to the nutritional content of a super sized greasy burger with questionable meat and no vegetables. Most importantly, one is REAL FOOD and the other is chemically processed mystery meat from god knows where...

Common sense people. One of these things is not like the other.

Well... not entirely...

Even at Chipotle, if you are concerned about "healthy eating", you still need to be careful and intentional in what/how you order. Yes, avocado is a healthy fat. However, as is typically the case, you can get too much of a good thing. You wouldn't want to eat Guacamole from Chipotle every day..., or even more than once or twice a week. And even then, the amount of Guac they give you is far more than what would be considered "healthy"...
White Rice is a huge/massive no-no. So if you are going to be eating any rice at all, it must be brown. But again, the amount Chipotle puts into their servings is more than you need. I always tell the server to give be a 1/2 scoop of brown...
Beans are good to toss in every now and then. Chicken or Steak is a good source of protein. The Carnitas and Barbacoa - not so much.
The salsa's are loaded with salt, especially the mild salsa!

My standard order at Chipotle is a bowl, 1/2 scoop of brown rice, peppers & onions, chicken, medium salsa and a small amount of cheese. That's it. I believe - if Chipotle's calorie-counter is correct, this gives me roughly 500 calories...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well... not entirely...

Even at Chipotle, if you are concerned about "healthy eating", you still need to be careful and intentional in what/how you order. Yes, avocado is a healthy fat. However, as is typically the case, you can get too much of a good thing. You wouldn't want to eat Guacamole from Chipotle every day..., or even more than once or twice a week. And even then, the amount of Guac they give you is far more than what would be considered "healthy"...
White Rice is a huge/massive no-no. So if you are going to be eating any rice at all, it must be brown. But again, the amount Chipotle puts into their servings is more than you need. I always tell the server to give be a 1/2 scoop of brown...
Beans are good to toss in every now and then. Chicken or Steak is a good source of protein. The Carnitas and Barbacoa - not so much.
The salsa's are loaded with salt, especially the mild salsa!

My standard order at Chipotle is a bowl, 1/2 scoop of brown rice, peppers & onions, chicken, medium salsa and a small amount of cheese. That's it. I believe - if Chipotle's calorie-counter is correct, this gives me roughly 500 calories...

Totally, its about common sense. I can go to an organic farmers market gluten free sugar free deli and still overeat. lol

My point was simply that 500 calories of real food is different than 500 calories of bigmac and fries. :)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Totally, its about common sense. I can go to an organic farmers market gluten free sugar free deli and still overeat. lol

My point was simply that 500 calories of real food is different than 500 calories of bigmac and fries. :)

Spot-on Bert!

:thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, cows and sheep are a bunch of fat slobs and they eat grass. :)

Your calorie output and natural metabolism have huge roles in addition to your food choices. We can directly control two of the three, but all play a role in weight, and people screw up when they focus on just one part and forget about the other two.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

pretty much this. You can eat most anything you want if you eat real food and are somewhat active.

And stop talking bad about white rice 82!!!! no!!! Its good for me.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
pretty much this. You can eat most anything you want if you eat real food and are somewhat active.

And stop talking bad about white rice 82!!!! no!!! Its good for me.

I know man... Between 82 the white riceist and southpaws anti-breakfacism it's getting really hard for a cracka on this forum. Thanks Obama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson