Head Coach Candidates?

TheKid_1

Registered
Reaction score
Why do we not hear more about Kirby Smart? He should be candidate #1 right now.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Fortunately, UA fans have always known their football program was second rate. You ASU fans need to REALLY lower your expectations or you will all be really pissed off later once someone is signed.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The boosters are livid with LL right now. The fact that they even spoke to Jones wreaks of desperation, and Love obviously has no idea what she's doing. The boosters want her out immediately, but the ASU administration isn't willing to let her go, for some reason. One thing is for certain, there is no possible way Jones gets the job. If ASU wants any Alumni/Booster support, they will stop speaking with Jones right now, and start focusing their attention elsewhere.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh dear god no. June freaking Jones?? Lisa Love should resign now if this is her backup plan. She didn't go after Leach, she botched the Sumlin thing by talking to his agent regardless of Texas A&M eventually outbidding ASU.

I have my doubts about Fedora but I would much rather have him thaan Jones by a long shot. OMG.....the horror.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The boosters are livid with LL right now. The fact that they even spoke to Jones wreaks of desperation, and Love obviously has no idea what she's doing. The boosters want her out immediately, but the ASU administration isn't willing to let her go, for some reason. One thing is for certain, there is no possible way Jones gets the job. If ASU wants any Alumni/Booster support, they will stop speaking with Jones right now, and start focusing their attention elsewhere.

The question for me, is can the alumni override Lisa Love. This is worrisome to me. It won't be long before Sendek will need to be replaced. She made two bad hires in football and basketball already and needs to go. The football stadium and basketball arena will look like empty tombs unless the direction is changed.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Other than his age, June Jones really isn't as bad as some of you are making him out to be.

In 12 seasons as a head coach on the college level, he's had 9 winning seasons. Also its not as he's done so at LSU or Alabama, he's won at Hawaii and SMU... Two programs not accustomed to recent success. Hell, SMU hadn't had a .500 record since coming back from the Death Penalty but Jones has won there. I don't think its that unreasonable to think that if he can take SMU from the doldrums to a bowl team, he can take ASU from 6-7 wins a season to 9-10.

People don't like his offensive scheme because it lacks emphasis on the run, but let's be honest, Mike Leach doesn't exactly stand ahead as a coach that focuses on the run either and there were a LOT of advocates behind bringing Leach to Tempe.

What's the worst case scenario? He keeps Mazzone on and grooms him as Head Coach of the Future, while turning ASUs fortunes around and moving them from mediocrity?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
PaulCalvisiPaul Calvisi
ASU Update: Sources tell me that June Jones is "definite front-runner." In fact, do "not be surprised if announced after bowl selection.."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PaulCalvisiPaul Calvisi
ASU Update: Sources tell me that June Jones is "definite front-runner." In fact, do "not be surprised if announced after bowl selection.."

Definitely not an exciting hire. I hope ASU can keep most of their recruits. I do not want to start 1-11.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Whys that a bad thing if Jones puts them in a position to succeed long term?

Hawaii
1999- 9-3
2000- 3-9
2001- 9-3
2002- 10-4
2003- 9-5
2004- 8-5
2005- 5-7
2006- 11-3
2007- 12-1

SMU
2008- 1-11
2009- 8-5
2010- 7-7
2011- 7-5

He has never succeeded long term. He is an average coach and ASU will be an average program if he comes here. I would rather take the chance on an assistant rather than the known re-tread. We know Jones will never get better than what he has shown in the past.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawaii
1999- 9-3
2000- 3-9
2001- 9-3
2002- 10-4
2003- 9-5
2004- 8-5
2005- 5-7
2006- 11-3
2007- 12-1

SMU
2008- 1-11
2009- 8-5
2010- 7-7
2011- 7-5

He has never succeeded long term. He is an average coach and ASU will be an average program if he comes here. I would rather take the chance on an assistant rather than the known re-tread. We know Jones will never get better than what he has shown in the past.

Of course the argument can be made that ASU is a football school or sadly used to be whereas the other schools were not traditionally. I believe the Sun Devils can be a great football school again given the proper coaching and recruiting.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Hawaii
1999- 9-3
2000- 3-9
2001- 9-3
2002- 10-4
2003- 9-5
2004- 8-5
2005- 5-7
2006- 11-3
2007- 12-1

SMU
2008- 1-11
2009- 8-5
2010- 7-7
2011- 7-5

So winning 9 or more in six of his nine years and a BCS Bowl appearance with Hawaii..... HAWAII isn't long term success?

Taking a program that hadn't so much as sniffed .500, let alone a bowl game since the 1980s, and a team that had more one win seasons from their return from the Death Penalty till he took over and averaging seven wins and making three bowl games in four years isn't long term success?

I beg to differ. Look outside the box.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
Of course the argument can be made that ASU is a football school or sadly used to be whereas the other schools were not traditionally. I believe the Sun Devils can be a great football school again given the proper coaching and recruiting.

Pretty sure this can be said of any school. I hope for everyone on this board that Jones isn't the hire. I'm not here to talk trash. I want both AZ teams to be relevant. This hire would be a step down from DE, if that is possible.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mazzone is not a head coach. Never will be. Ask yourself how involved in recruiting and personnel he is outside of QBs. It's never been his interest. Further more, JJ and Mazzone are not on the same page offensively.

If you thought Erickson ran a loose ship, wait till you get a load of JJ. You can't expect your players to keep their mouths shut of the coach is running his. If polite Gary Patterson makes it a point to mention what bad sport JJ is, it's an issue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So winning 9 or more in six of his nine years and a BCS Bowl appearance with Hawaii..... HAWAII isn't long term success?

Taking a program that hadn't so much as sniffed .500, let alone a bowl game since the 1980s, and a team that had more one win seasons from their return from the Death Penalty till he took over and averaging seven wins and making three bowl games in four years isn't long term success?

I'm actually very impressed by June Jones record at Hawaii and SMU considering the circumstances. I guess I was hoping for a more well known coach (even an assistant coach) that was younger that could invigorate the fan base and recruits to go along with the new uniforms. At first blush, I wanted more. It may be a good hire but the Sun Devils are just getting over an older coach in Dennis Erickson. Also not having faith in Lisa Love just aggravates the situation.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure this can be said of any school. I hope for everyone on this board that Jones isn't the hire. I'm not here to talk trash. I want both AZ teams to be relevant. This hire would be a step down from DE, if that is possible.

Can we trade Athletic Directors. It's only fair. ;)

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I wonder how many of Jones's wins at Hawai'i were home wins? I'm guessing a lot.

Hawai'i went to six bowls under Jones, 1 Oahu Bowl, 4 Hawai'i Bowls and the Sugar Bowl (where they were thrashed 41-10). Not that impressive really. Hawai'i probably has the biggest homefield advantage in the NCAA.

Two of the three coaches who preceded Jones, and his successor, all had/have winning records with the Rainbow Warriors, so it isn't like winning there is a monumental task.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score

Hawaii was never playing USC, Oregon and Stanford type teams. They only team they played in their BCS year that was good was Boise St.

OP
OP
AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Promising tweets from Calvisi

ASU Update-Maybe it's because Kevin Sumlin is still available, but I'm told by sources that ASU is now hitting pause button on June Jones..

ASU Update II: Plus, I'm told that ASU is "impressed by Jones, but has also decided that the door still remains open to other candidates."

ASU Update III: Why hit the brakes on June Jones? In part, it's cuz multiple sources tell me ASU has hired search firm to assist in process

Lisa Love is incompetent, basically

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Sumlin is still available? What happened?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. It's on hold because of money. June Jones turned down Maryland's offer of $3.5 million per last year. He wasn't going to come to ASU for an extra $500K.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sumlin is still available? What happened?

Sumlin isn't really available. If he wants to leave, he can still go to A&M or UCLA. UCLA wants him bad and may offer him the Peterson contract. ASU simply cannot compete in this field.