Have we been saving Piatkowski for a late season/playoff run?

Has D'Antoni been saving Piatkowski for the stretch run/playoffs?

• Yes

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Gut instinct tells me that D'Antoni has secretly been keeping Piatkowski on the bench all season to have him rested and fresh for the stretch run and the playoffs, and that he'll have a similar, albeit reduced role like that of Tim Thomas last year, i.e. someone to come off the bench and provide some fire power should some of our other players be struggling.

He's a vet that has proven throughout his career that he has an exceptional ability to shoot the ball. If James Jones goes cold again like he did last year, I fully expect D'Antoni to turn to Piatkowski and give him some major minutes. If he doesn't, I still think Piatkowski sees 7-10 minutes a game for the remainder of the season.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Looks like I'm the only one who voted yes so far. Although, I don't think he's been keeping him as a "secret weapon" per se, but I DO think that he's been limiting his minutes in order to keep him fresh if needed for the stretch run.

Pike isn't exactly a spring chicken, or the best athelete, so it was wise not to wear him down during the season. I think we may see him in an Eddie House role from here on out. (Come in, try to hit a few threes. If he's on, leave him in. If not, pull him.)

OP
OP
SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Yes, perhaps "secret" was too strong a word, but if the 36 year old was ever going to become a contributor off the bench, it makes sense to give him that shot late in the season rather than earlier.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
Over the course of the next 23 games I'd expect to see everyone on the bench get at least some playing time. The big questions that were there at the beginning of the season have been answered now -- the starters are definitely in sync at this point, KT, Barbosa and Jr. have shown they can come in at any time and be effective. Hopefully the "invisible" bench players will get some of their minutes coming in one at a time and while Nash is on the floor since that's how they'd probably be used if needed in the playoffs. This is the perfect time to get everyone loosened up and ready to go, and it might be that this was the plan all along.

Piatkowski has a great attitude. They reported he was the last one to leave practice yesterday and stayed out there on the floor alone, running sprints and dribbling the ball. I don't know about the secret weapon idea, but he'll be ready to play.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
In a sense.

The reason the Suns signed veterans is because they could come in and not be ready to play, not be totally lost, or make rookie mistakes.

Were they specifically hiding Pike as a secret weapon? I don't think so. Also we should keep in mind it was only one game.

I still think Rose can/will help on the court before the season is over.

Last edited:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I guess he is saving everyone on the bench to surprise in playoffs. That is the secret plan.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Apparently, Rose is supposed to be the "secret weapon", but you have a better chance at finding WMDs in Iraq than finding Rose on the bench

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Has he been saving him? Probably not.

Will it work out that way? Probably.

At least D'Antoni is willing to do the right thing before it's too late.

That's good news!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni has not been secretly doing anything. D'Antoni has mismanaged the bench no matter how you look at it. He has mismanaged the development and use of the bench.

Conspiracy theories are more likely then this scenario.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
Saving Pike ?? I hardly think 5 to 10 minutes a game, for a whole season is enough to wear down even a 37 yr old professional athlete. Thats crazy. Pike is playing out of neccessity, and probably the result of a phone call from Sarver saying WTF did we sign this guy for ?? Pathetic that we have him inked for next yr too. What a waste by GM D'Baloney. What a waste from roster spot 8 on down. But to hear SpinMastaMikeyD tell it, ol Piker proved him wrong and he IS REALLY a valuable asset on the bench.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
D'Antoni has not been secretly doing anything. D'Antoni has mismanaged the bench no matter how you look at it. He has mismanaged the development and use of the bench.

I tend to agree with this post. I believe that Coach D has been 'rethinking' his strategy since the few games prior to the All-Star when he saw his team get rolled by Atlanta and Seattle (two teams slugging it out at the bottom of the tottum pole). I believe Pike can be a solid contributor. There are nights, lately, that Bell can't hit a wide open three to save his mother's life. If pike can do it, and is not a defensive liability, I believe Pike will come in and relieve Raja more than another else. It also gives them more length on the floor than with Banks.

My question - Why didn't Burke get a few minutes yesterday? We needed a big man to pull his defender out of the lane yesterday... KT wasn't getting that done - Amare was facing three defenders most of the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson