Is it too late for Cards to develop an Awesome Run Game for 2021 Season

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I felt due to how much our WRs were covered close to line of scrimmage last year that it prevented our WRs from running and completing their routes, combined with Murray not being able to find an open man quickly. This created a whole lot of problems for our offense not being successful much of the time. It seemed apparent to me that the whole league figured this out by mid-season.
The answer to that for me was to create an awesome run game. It doesn't appear we addressed that at all, and I am afraid we will find ourselves in the same position as last year. Is it too late for Cards to address our run game to any serious degree? Are there any FAs still out there who could help us in that regard? What's your take on this??Do you see it as I do now and did last year?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The biggest improvement was the Center. That alone should change the effectiveness of everyone else on O.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see is depending on two rb that have a history of missing games with absolutely nobody behind them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
O line effects running performance more that the running back. That's just a fact.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It will be interesting. The Cards run game starts with the QB. Now they have added a WR who is very good running screens, reverses and pitches out of motion. Then you add the running backs in.

It’s a not a traditional running game but it is one.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
O line effects running performance more that the running back. That's just a fact.
thats the Warren Sharp / Football Outsiders take -- and part of why they believe that you dont draft a RB in round 1 to improve your running game, but instead build your offensive line.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO yea it is too late for an awesome running game.

a mediocre to good one is still possible, especially if we count Kyler.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The biggest improvement was the Center. That alone should change the effectiveness of everyone else on O.

Absolutely agreed. That will/should help immensely.

The biggest problem I see is depending on two rb that have a history of missing games with absolutely nobody behind them.

Absolutely agreed. That will probably hurt immensely.

Oh, well, if @BritCard says "that's just a fact," why then, why bother with alternate opinions lol Beware anyone beating the drum of absolutes when talking on a subject without absolutes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed. That will/should help immensely.

Absolutely agreed. That will probably hurt immensely.

Oh, well, if @BritCard says "that's just a fact," why then, why bother with alternate opinions lol Beware anyone beating the drum of absolutes when talking on a subject without absolutes.

It is a fact, it's an obvious fact too. It's something we all know. Bad O line = bad running.

We see it every year from various fan bases "It's not X players fault, our O line sucks". Heck, we did it ourselves for a while with DJ. That's not to say good RB's don't make a difference but O lines are more important to the run game.

Stout

Reaction score
It is a fact, it's an obvious fact too. It's something we all know. Bad O line = bad running.

We see it every year from various fan bases "It's not X players fault, our O line sucks". Heck, we did it ourselves for a while with DJ. That's not to say good RB's don't make a difference but O lines are more important to the run game.

You said "more than the RB." Opinion, not fact.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Did you really have to get Solar and Stout started? Ughhh
I don't even think I'll bother participating in the thread past this post. Everyone knows how I feel and plenty of people think we have no problem so we may as well just wait for the season to start, because nothing else is happening to change anything.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't even think I'll bother participating in the thread past this post. Everyone knows how I feel and plenty of people think we have no problem so we may as well just wait for the season to start, because nothing else is happening to change anything.

Wise. I just end up getting sucked in by smarmy shots across the bow on the topic, and also am guilty of inserting my opinion literally any chance I get lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wise. I just end up getting sucked in by smarmy shots across the bow on the topic, and also am guilty of inserting my opinion literally any chance I get lol

You must be registered for see images attach
I have the same bad trait. Having been unemployed for more than a year also doesn't help in the realm of not going off on repeat about this stuff, ha.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score

Pittsburgh will be a tell tale case study for this argument. Their o line was not very good, is still not very good, and they changed running backs. I’m guessing they are not bottom five in rushing this season.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pittsburgh will be a tell tale case study for this argument. Their o line was not very good, is still not very good, and they changed running backs. I’m guessing they are not bottom five in rushing this season.

We don't have to wait. We saw it last year with Zeke. The last 2 years with Joe Mixon (4.9 to 4.1 to 3.6 YPC) that correlates with decreased run blocking.

There's a whole bunch of stats on this in the FF realm and how adjusted line yards drastically effects RB production.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"Awesome?" run game?

I don't think that's part of Kingsbury's offensive concept or culture.

The run as a threat?

I think that's what Kingsbury may be shooting for.

I also think that all it might take is a slight shift toward making the run scary enough to keep the offense honest.

Depends on plays that are called and how well each of our RBs execute their assignments.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dalvin Cook is probably the only current RB I’ve seen flourish with a poor OLine.