Has the Adrenaline Worn Off?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
One if my coaches use to tell me a good coach can pump up enough Adrenaline to last a half. A great coach can get 3 quarters. After it wears off you better have the game in hand or you’re doomed.

I’ve watched the Cards play hard but eventually run out of gas. It’s not bad coaching. You can only dominate skill with enthusiasm for so long. Sadly after a few losing games, motivation wears thin. The Cards may be hitting that wall. They may be realizing they just don’t have what it takes to win. Eventually they may not be capable of being motivated.

Certainly getting Murray back will help, but how will they react if Brown, Ertz and/or Baker gets traded. The hardest part of tanking for the players is all the losing. Risking career ending injury with no chance to win anything. Leaving it all on the field with nothing to show for it, but another loss. I’ll be glad when this season ends.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
One if my coaches use to tell me a good coach can pump up enough Adrenaline to last a half. A great coach can get 3 quarters. After it wears off you better have the game in hand or you’re doomed.

I’ve watched the Cards play hard but eventually run out of gas. It’s not bad coaching. You can only dominate skill with enthusiasm for so long. Sadly after a few losing games, motivation wears thin. The Cards may be hitting that wall. They may be realizing they just don’t have what it takes to win. Eventually they may not be capable of being motivated.

Certainly getting Murray back will help, but how will they react if Brown, Ertz and/or Baker gets traded. The hardest part of tanking for the players is all the losing. Risking career ending injury with no chance to win anything. Leaving it all on the field with nothing to show for it, but another loss. I’ll be glad when this season ends.
This is an unlikely scenario.

1) Brown is Murray's best friend and close confidante. He's also the Cardinals best receiver and gives the team the best opportunity to get the most out of Murray.

2) Ertz doesn't have much value and when you have a new regime, you need veterans around to keep the young guys motivated and accountable.

3) Same scenario with Baker for the defense. As much as fans around here have maligned Baker, he is a glue guy and a tone setter. The backend of the defense has looked worse without him.

I think there is actually a chance that the team gets better down the stretch. Murray is significantly better than Dobbs in a lot of ways. Even 80% Murray would have been able to win 2-3 more of this years game. Even the Rams game was for the taking.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

LOL, you just posted a thread a week ago about "All is not lost"...

Boy the cardinals really know how to make us throw up on the rollercoaster

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's good that we are not tanking. And just because people keep saying it, it doesn't make it so.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
LOL, you just posted a thread a week ago about "All is not lost"...

Boy the cardinals really know how to make us throw up on the rollercoaster
The “All is Not Lost” referred to finding a few good players amongst all the losses. It hand nothing to do with the attitude of a 60+ roster.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But, it does sound like you think that they are tanking. I agree that they are not a good team but I'm not putting them into the tanking category.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The “All is Not Lost” referred to finding a few good players amongst all the losses. It hand nothing to do with the attitude of a 60+ roster.
I think there are a lot of positives.

The OL save LG looks like something that can be built upon. Sign a LG and draft Humphries heir and the foundation is solid. WR and TE have some pieces. Murray is back.

While the DL is bereft of talent mostly (Ledbetter should stick), LB and Edge have some talent. CB needs a top guy. Baker will need to be replaced. Lots of holes, but not nearly as bad as the naysayers said it would be.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of positives.

The OL save LG looks like something that can be built upon. Sign a LG and draft Humphries heir and the foundation is solid. WR and TE have some pieces. Murray is back.

While the DL is bereft of talent mostly (Ledbetter should stick), LB and Edge have some talent. CB needs a top guy. Baker will need to be replaced. Lots of holes, but not nearly as bad as the naysayers said it would be.
Krang, why will Baker need to be replaced? Are you just speculating that he'll be traded? I know it was PS, but before being injured I read that Collier was playing well. Even though, I agree that between the Draft and FA we need a couple of additions to the DL. And, even with all the holes we are just one offseason away from being respectable. Assuming Kyler is like the Kyler of old. JMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is an unlikely scenario.

1) Brown is Murray's best friend and close confidante. He's also the Cardinals best receiver and gives the team the best opportunity to get the most out of Murray.

2) Ertz doesn't have much value and when you have a new regime, you need veterans around to keep the young guys motivated and accountable.

3) Same scenario with Baker for the defense. As much as fans around here have maligned Baker, he is a glue guy and a tone setter. The backend of the defense has looked worse without him.

I think there is actually a chance that the team gets better down the stretch. Murray is significantly better than Dobbs in a lot of ways. Even 80% Murray would have been able to win 2-3 more of this years game. Even the Rams game was for the taking.
Imagine where we'd be without the leadership of Budda Baker and Zach Ertz. We might be 1-5!

In all seriousness, you only trade Brown if you can get a third for him and you don't plan to bring him back. I don't care much about his personal relationship with Kyler -- this is a business -- but he's a diminutive possession receiver in a contract year.

Hard to imagine Ertz having much value on the open market -- his performance has been indistinguishable from a replacement level player. Next season his cap number is $12.55 million; he's unlikely to be on the roster in 2024.

Same with Baker. If you can get an asset for him now that's better than like a 4th round pick, maybe take it? He has an $18 million cap charge next season, which we're unlikely to pay.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Imagine where we'd be without the leadership of Budda Baker and Zach Ertz. We might be 1-5!
Eh veteran leadership can keep guys practicing hard and playing hard even when the team is sucking.
In all seriousness, you only trade Brown if you can get a third for him and you don't plan to bring him back. I don't care much about his personal relationship with Kyler -- this is a business -- but he's a diminutive possession receiver in a contract year.
I'd entertain it, but I think a 3rd is a stretch on a rental.
Hard to imagine Ertz having much value on the open market -- his performance has been indistinguishable from a replacement level player. Next season his cap number is $12.55 million; he's unlikely to be on the roster in 2024.
Yeah a team makes that trade if the Cardinals take on a lot of his salary...even then it's questionable.
Same with Baker. If you can get an asset for him now that's better than like a 4th round pick, maybe take it? He has an $18 million cap charge next season, which we're unlikely to pay.
Yeah I think Baker would be gone, but I would wager Michael might direct the front office to keep him even though they probably shouldn't.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
But, it does sound like you think that they are tanking. I agree that they are not a good team but I'm not putting them into the tanking category.
It’s a complicated matrix. I’m going to put something up shortly. I’m having trouble saying it without it seeming confusing. I’ll really confuse things by saying the short answer is “yes, sort of.”

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Way back when kylers agent was posting letters on twitter... there was talk of Murry taking less money if certain players were brought in...his discount to help pay them presumably...
Murray got fat paid but maybe he was asking for more? We certainly went right out and got his best friend.

But here is a plan... trade Brown with a backdoor agreement... after tons of haggling he just can't agree to a new deal...and when the season ends he comes back to AZ... 4th rd pick for an 8 game rental.
Because certainly nobody would tag him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eh veteran leadership can keep guys practicing hard and playing hard even when the team is sucking.

I'd entertain it, but I think a 3rd is a stretch on a rental.

Yeah a team makes that trade if the Cardinals take on a lot of his salary...even then it's questionable.

Yeah I think Baker would be gone, but I would wager Michael might direct the front office to keep him even though they probably shouldn't.
Imho... Baker is the new Larry.... hard working positive guy that the team wants to keep around until he is done.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Way back when kylers agent was posting letters on twitter... there was talk of Murry taking less money if certain players were brought in...his discount to help pay them presumably...
Murray got fat paid but maybe he was asking for more? We certainly went right out and got his best friend.

But here is a plan... trade Brown with a backdoor agreement... after tons of haggling he just can't agree to a new deal...and when the season ends he comes back to AZ... 4th rd pick for an 8 game rental.
Rule violation. No loaners!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Uh, I recall no such talk. Link?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Of course it was... the link is because I'm not responsible for your piss poor memory...and you kids these days only respect google-fu...so look it up
Sure, you make an outlandish statement, refuse to back it up, then blame it on me. Sounds like exactly what kids do these days :)