Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Registered

Oubre likely doesn’t have much trade value, so makes sense to keep him and let him compete with Cam/Mikal for minutes. Cam has injury history so Kelly is a good insurance policy. Good team guy as well.

Gambo saying Dario is not worth 10 AAV; dude, he is a R.F.A!!

2. Rab

Rab Angry Vedder

I wouldn’t count on Cam over Oubre at all. Cam’s certainly showed us something and mostly played very well in the bubble. He’s also shown to be fragile given a normal schedule. I don’t think we should be sleeping on Oubre. He was our most clutch player. this year outside of Book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

If you think Cam is fragile then what is Oubre? He hasn't been the picture of health while here. We've seen his season end about 70% of the way through for the last 2 years.

4. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I remember his game real well. He got in the game during blowouts and camped out at the 3 point line.

look at his stats, 13 yrs in the league and never averaged more than 5 points a game.

your comparison is ludicrous.

Krangthebrain, Phrazbit and Pda4976 like this.
  5. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

James Jones averaged 9.3 points and 3.4 rebounds his first year with the Suns. Cam averaged 8.7 and 3.3 this season.

6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

7. offset

offset i have a special purpose

Cam Johnson’s bubble stats:
    13.3 points
    5.9 rebounds
    2.1 assists
    62.5 TS%

Combine that with the fact then when he is on the floor his defender has to respect his shot so it opens everything up for everyone else.

8. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

And in 4 years as a Sun, Channing Frye averaged
    11.4 points
    5.4 rebounds
    1.3 assists
    55.8 TS%

Frye shot 38.9 from 3 to Cam's 39.2% this season.

I'll stick with that comparison until Cam surpasses Channing but even if he doesn't I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Unfortunately you can't really compare them at the same age because Frye was an interior "big" until he signed with the Suns in 2009-10, when he was 26 and in his 5th season. Stylistically he was really different before being a Sun. For example he only attempted a total of 70 3's in his first 4 years, where he played in 278 games. Then that first year in Phoenix he was given a green light and shot 392 3's at a 43.9% clip throughout 81. He attempted 4.8 a game, which is the same as Cam this season. Cam's percentage is lower at 39% but I believe he'll top 40% with time and reps.

Their per 36 numbers are similar in a number of categories also. I think the more Cam plays PF, the more his stats will mirror Frye's. Click here for more comparisons, I put the Per 36 below though...

upload_2020-8-14_1-39-43.png

Carolinacacti and Mainstreet like this.
  9. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

Umm... Uhh... something about Cam Johnson being a bad shooter because his super fast release is only there to cover for his "natural" slow release AND you need to ignore every game in which he shot well and he is totally incapable of defending outside of rotations and keeping his man in front of him.

10. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

I loved what I saw from Cam. LOVED IT.

Kelly can shoot but nothing like this assassin. He needs very little space to get it up too. I may have come full circle on Cam and Kelly in the same bubble. Amazing.

Chris_Sanders and Krangthebrain like this.
  11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Cam reminds me of Jeff Hornacek in his court demeanor. He shoots like that is what he is supposed to do. When it goes in he acts like that is just what he expected. He goes about his defense in a very determined business-like fashion.

He has a great level of maturity--especially for a rookie regardless of his age.

12. Yuma

Yuma Working from home. Missing my free coffee!

Cam is maturing rapidly as a player. We need Payne and the bulldog to come back for our second unit. Saric? Kominsky? Baynes? I think Baynes leaves for greener pastures. keep the squad together, or upgrade? Do we have the juice to upgrade?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  13. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Frye was 3 inches taller, 40 pounds heavier and more athletic. Frye was a true stretch 5. Cam is a 3 masquerading as a 4 to make up for his lack of athleticism. The numbers might be comparable, but the positions and roles are not.

14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

@Hoop Head

I'm satisfied with the Frye comparison. Potentially Cam Johnson may become a better shooter.

15. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

But, as much as we loved Horny, he was a smooth undersized 2-Guard
    who could help his teams maintain good basketball, but not advance to
    great basketball.