Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Aug 7, 2020.

1. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Biggest need by far is a starting power forward that brings toughness, athleticism, interior defense and rebounding.

2. Dr dumas

Dr dumas Rookie

I’m not really sure TJ is the missing piece. This Suns team has had no issues scoring and TJs defen
    When I think of TJ, Toughness, rebounding and interior defense sure don’t come to mind..

3. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Good grief. TJ Warren and Devin Booker are two alpha scorers. They were not going to mix on the same team. We kept the right one. We should have gotten more for the other one, but getting Rubio and adding Cam was very good for team building. Good GM's need to look at the team they are building, not just the assets they are accumulating. McD was an asset guy. Look where that got us.

This is my last post on TJ.

CRC83 likes this.
  4. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

I don’t disagree with those needs, but the problem is that it’s hard to find a guy like that who also can stretch the floor on offense, so Ayton’s rim runs aren’t clogged up.

Maybe a guy like Okongwu can develop from outside (good ft rate and percentage), but he was 1/4 from 3 on the year.

I do think Okungwu would be a great pick at 10 based on his other traits, especially if Suns can’t get someone like Plumlee.

5. 95pro

95pro Registered

Jeremi Grant for pf anyone?

6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

This is one of the players I have my eye on.

7. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

We could do worse, but in my opinion we could also do better. His lack of size concerns me.

8. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

love him, but he’s not UFA until next summer.

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

No thanks. He isn't horrible but he's just not the answer IMO and who would he replace on the roster? Personally, I'd rather focus on Bridges, Oubre and Saric plus whoever we draft which leaves little time for someone like Grant.

People talk about who we need, I think more about who we need to keep. And given our horrible roster turnover for the past 6 years or so, I think keeping our roster intact will gain us far more than the addition of any mediocre player, especially one that would need minutes to keep him happy.

Draft reasonably well, continue developing Ayton and keep the roster together and we'll be an elite team in 3 years, maybe sooner. Keep throwing players against the wall to see who sticks and we'll be the same mess we've been for several years now. JMO.

Mainstreet and Hoop Head like this.
  10. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Jerami Grant has a player option for the upcoming season for $9,346,153 but I think he is worth more than that or at least he was before the financial woes that will confront many NBA teams.

Nuggets do have Bird Rights.

11. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Banned

Related to this discussion, Suns should definitely retain Saric and can go over the cap to do so.

12. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Only if he is willing to be a back-up, and then only if the version of him he get is the version we have seen in the Bubble. He is not good enough to start for a team that wants to make the playoffs. Heck, he wasn't good enough to remain in our rotation earlier this season.

13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

The two alpha scorer comment doesn’t hold water when you see a team like warriors effectively used Durant and curry, Heat integrated three alpha scorers, as did the Celtics. Championship teams can do it.

ASUCHRIS likes this.
  14. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I could see two players like Giannis and Devin working together, but it seemed pretty clear to me that the TJ and Devin combo was not working. It's my take. I was, and still am, a Warren fan.

15. 95pro

95pro Registered

The warriors are shooters as opposed to dominating the ball and being scorer. Swing the pass to any one of those 3 and they can knock down a beyond 3 pointer. Thats what made Green look so good.

TJ isn't a catch and shoot type of player.

I wouldn't say Book and TJ are alpha scorers, but it's the way they score. Book was more of a 3pt shooter when drafted but had evolved to an elite scorer.