Has Cam Johnson displaced Oubre?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Image is silly. The Celtics has the ugliest bunch of dorks a Court has ever seen with bird, Mchale, Ainge, DJ, and Parrish. They tore it up pretty good.
There is nothing silly about it. You actually supported my point,
Ouchie. I was referring to Jeff's lack of aggressiveness.

The NBA is a rough league. As you pointed out about the Celtics.
A lot of contact.

Horny's image/demeanor/behavior was anything but rough.
Which is why Cotton likened him to his paper boy. Flinging
papers from the sidewalk to the front porch from his bike.

The latest example? Deandre Ayton. A gentleman on the court.
Shying away from contact. Finger rolls at the basket.

His recent love affair with the 3-point shot is a perfect example.

As Leo Durocher said, "Nice guys finish last."

Using your example, how many championships do the Celtics have?
And how many do the Suns have in their half-century?

With one legitimate Finals appearance. And one Sunderella
appearance against . . . the Celtics. Who beat us!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would say it's more because of Red Auerbach and HOF players such as Ray Allen, Tiny Archibald, Larry Bird, Dave Bing, Jo Jo White, Bill Russell, Bill Sharman, Kevin McHale, Robert Parrish, Easy Ed, KC Jones, Sam Jones, Tommy Heinsohn, Dennis Johnson, John Havlicek, Dave Cowens, Kevin Garnett, Bob Cousy and all the other key players that I've forgotten. Compare that HOF list to the Suns list.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Steph Curry looks like he's 12 and Draymond Green looks like Donkey from the Shrek films. They each have 3 championships.

Dennis Rodman looks like a cartoon character and has 5 championships.

Steve Kerr looks like a paper boys little brother and he has 5 championships as a player and 3 as a coach.

Sam Cassel looks like an alien and has 3 NBA championships.

I could go on but looks don't determine whether a player is capable of contributing to an NBA Championship team.

Looks don't matter, skills do.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There is nothing silly about it. You actually supported my point,
Ouchie. I was referring to Jeff's lack of aggressiveness.

The NBA is a rough league. As you pointed out about the Celtics.
A lot of contact.

Horny's image/demeanor/behavior was anything but rough.
Which is why Cotton likened him to his paper boy. Flinging
papers from the sidewalk to the front porch from his bike.

The latest example? Deandre Ayton. A gentleman on the court.
Shying away from contact. Finger rolls at the basket.

His recent love affair with the 3-point shot is a perfect example.

As Leo Durocher said, "Nice guys finish last."

Actually horny was pretty tough. Dirty? No. But he took a physical beating and always got up and was back to playing hard as possible. Your characterization of him does him a great disservice.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Actually horny was pretty tough. Dirty? No. But he took a physical beating and always got up and was back to playing hard as possible. Your characterization of him does him a great disservice.
I was at the game, in the second row, when Jeff attempted his only stuff
and missed it terribly. While the play was continuing, he walked to the
corner (about five feet from where I was sitting) with his head down.

But his teammate had gotten the rebound and it wound up in Jeff's
hands and he made the corner shot. You could feel the love for Jeff
throughout the stands. But he didn't help his timid persona that day.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the game, in the second row, when Jeff attempted his only stuff
and missed it terribly. While the play was continuing, he walked to the
corner (about five feet from where I was sitting) with his head down.

But his teammate had gotten the rebound and it wound up in Jeff's
hands and he made the corner shot. You could feel the love for Jeff
throughout the stands. But he didn't help his timid persona that day.

There is a difference in being dejected and being timid. Jeff was never a timid player no matter how you perceived his looks. It's how a player plays, not how he looks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I actually think that Horny is 3x tougher/guttier/scrappier than DeAndre Ayton will ever be.

That dude was nails IMO. But I do feel a sense of unwavering loyalty to Jeff so it could be clouding my opinion of him.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I actually think that Horny is 3x tougher/guttier/scrappier than DeAndre Ayton will ever be.

That dude was nails IMO. But I do feel a sense of unwavering loyalty to Jeff so it could be clouding my opinion of him.
I agree love Horney would never bad mouth him. Give Deyondre a min tho, Centers take longer to develop. At his age hes right up there with Shaq, Hakeem, Mourning. Yao, Robinson and KAT and centers that are in the top 50 ever. Only KAT got numbers like Aytons at 21 the rest of that cast took 23-25 yrs old. Ayton will be 22 all next year if we can get him to attack the rim like he should be able to do its gravy.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe DA's "timidness" is from his fear of getting in foul trouble, not about avoiding contact. That's why he loosens up later in the game.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe DA's "timidness" is from his fear of getting in foul trouble, not about avoiding contact. That's why he loosens up later in the game.

that doesn’t make much sense as far as his offense down low and around the basket.

2 free throw attempts per game is flat out pathetic for a guy with his athleticism, size, strength and skill.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But he doesn’t become less timid, so please explain? He 7/11 from the line in the bubble. That’s 1.375 FTs attempted per game. Less than a point per game from the charity stripe. That’s freaking awful.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he doesn’t become less timid, so please explain? He 7/11 from the line in the bubble. That’s 1.375 FTs attempted per game. Less than a point per game from the charity stripe. That’s freaking awful.

4 of his bubble FT's came at the end of the Miami game when the other team started intentionally fouling to get the ball back. I remember he had 2 trips to the line because of that, which artificially inflated his FT numbers in that game, going 4-5 in total. Removing those he averaged just .875 FT attempts a game.

I almost want to go through the whole season and remove those FT to see what his average would be for the year but I know it'd be depressing and take a good amount of time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
4 of his bubble FT's came at the end of the Miami game when the other team started intentionally fouling to get the ball back. I remember he had 2 trips to the line because of that, which artificially inflated his FT numbers in that game, going 4-5 in total. Removing those he averaged just .875 FT attempts a game.

I almost want to go through the whole season and remove those FT to see what his average would be for the year but I know it'd be depressing and take a good amount of time.
Don’t waste your time. We already know the sad story.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Then the coaching staff should have been working with him day and night on that.

And determining if that is the problem. Or if it insurmountable.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Cam carries over and shows up at training camp with a few more lbs of muscle, like he did at the bubble it could be interesting.

His D has improved a bit, he seems to be able to turn his hips to stay in front of opponents better than earlier in the year, his shot looks smoother and he started driving to the rim more with great results.

The main thing about Cam is that he works his ass off to get better, I know they always say so and so is a hard worker but this kid really puts the work in and it shows.

He may never start in the NBA but as a first/second off the bench we could do worse.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If Cam carries over and shows up at training camp with a few more lbs of muscle, like he did at the bubble it could be interesting.

His D has improved a bit, he seems to be able to turn his hips to stay in front of opponents better than earlier in the year, his shot looks smoother and he started driving to the rim more with great results.

The main thing about Cam is that he works his ass off to get better, I know they always say so and so is a hard worker but this kid really puts the work in and it shows.

He may never start in the NBA but as a first/second off the bench we could do worse.
Figure him and Bridges have both shown they put in hard work. You can really see the improvement with both! Nice to have two young guys like this, And Booker, too!