Harry Potter (reboot series)(HBO Max)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s so many shows my friends have pitched that woulda made killer watches that never even got out of the starting gate. For years, Ideas got thrown around each other that we all thought were bangers… like 100% no-brainers that would get bought. Now it’s just a total crapshoot unless you have that IP you’re coming in with or pitching on.

Why do you suppose more people aren't self-producing their projects? The cost of equipment to shoot and edit isn't what it once was. Is it the distribution that requires the traditional corporate backing? I see that in music. Anybody can put together a great demo at home these days, but they just can't put it in front of enough ears to hit unless you know somebody.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah… would have to either be a best-seller or some star would have to fall in love with it and be its champion. Even then not real likely without proven track record of bestselling book receipts.

Hollywood works in a culture of fear. Taking a risk is almost viewed as career suicide.
That's exactly what it feels and looks like from the outside. I know a few authors on the inside, too, big in their field, but that have fallen flat with getting shows/movies developed. Hell, it's an absolute crime that the Green Bone Saga hasn't been made into a show yet. I think HBO was going to do it, or one of the biggies, but it got dropped.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There’s so many shows my friends have pitched that woulda made killer watches that never even got out of the starting gate. For years, Ideas got thrown around each other that we all thought were bangers… like 100% no-brainers that would get bought. Now it’s just a total crapshoot unless you have that IP you’re coming in with or pitching on.
Well, an IP or you have a proven track record of success in previous shows.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why do you suppose more people aren't self-producing their projects? The cost of equipment to shoot and edit isn't what it once was. Is it the distribution that requires the traditional corporate backing? I see that in music. Anybody can put together a great demo at home these days, but they just can't put it in front of enough ears to hit unless you know somebody.
Well, you eliminate network and cable simply because of ad revenue. Streamers have so much content nowadays, an unknown with an original idea is NEVER going to get on those services.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, an IP or you have a proven track record of success in previous shows.
Even then it’s really hard… even for some of the biggest/most successful producers of hit shows are struggling to get anything original out there. Not gonna name names but I’m talking about guys who started major TV original franchises that ran for almost a decade, had reboots and spin offs and still couldn’t sell multiple projects until optioning some new IP.

I’ll just say when I talked to their long time assistant, I was STUNNED with how hard it was for them to sell something, much less get it made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s really impossible or near impossible to do so. Cost of equipment might not be what it was but try convincing good enough talent to join something that doesn’t feel top of the line with full crew, not to mention actor budgets, not to mention getting good writers you can’t afford to the level the streamers do, not to mention if you try to shoot non-Union, then you can’t even get WGA writers. And if you have bad writers, you have bad scripts which is gonna make it even harder to get actors you’ll need to water executives mouths.

It’s just near impossible from a cost standpoint to crew up, staff a writers room and put together a great while self finance a series then try to sell the whole thing to a streamer.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a view it sucks right now too. I want you and your friends to be unleashed so that you can give us creative and original ideas. I'm bored with all of the retreads now and I'm tuning out. Stuff like the next marvel show that exists mainly to set up the next show/movie isn't holding my interest anymore.
I don’t know that “unleashing” cheese is ever a good idea . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Damani just got one on Disney, right? It’s not impossible. But probably feels like it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s really impossible or near impossible to do so. Cost of equipment might not be what it was but try convincing good enough talent to join something that doesn’t feel top of the line with full crew, not to mention actor budgets, not to mention getting good writers you can’t afford to the level the streamers do, not to mention if you try to shoot non-Union, then you can’t even get WGA writers. And if you have bad writers, you have bad scripts which is gonna make it even harder to get actors you’ll need to water executives mouths.

It’s just near impossible from a cost standpoint to crew up, staff a writers room and put together a great while self finance a series then try to sell the whole thing to a streamer.
I’m willing to play multiple roles. But I can only film on every other Sunday.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a view it sucks right now too. I want you and your friends to be unleashed so that you can give us creative and original ideas. I'm bored with all of the retreads now and I'm tuning out. Stuff like the next marvel show that exists mainly to set up the next show/movie isn't holding my interest anymore.
Marvel lost me awhile ago. They were fun for a bit. But now it’s way too big and too convoluted. To many sub characters and story lines trying to put them all together in one universe and tie them all in… it’s just way over the top. I know they still make $ but know several people that feel the same way.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO. Just No. It's not like the series doesn't have a built in base where you could do a full blown sequel with new kids in a sequel setting. Fans would still come IMO. If they showed up for Fantastic Beasts sequels they will show up for that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO. Just No. It's not like the series doesn't have a built in base where you could do a full blown sequel with new kids in a sequel setting. Fans would still come IMO. If they showed up for Fantastic Beasts sequels they will show up for that.
they showed up to the first Fantastic Beasts but felt the heavy financial burden of diminishing returns after that.

These shows are going to be expensive just from a production/fx standpoint and the companies won’t risk that on the kids of the former heroes. And there’s no way they’re paying the former heroes to be back in it if they think they can pinch pennies and make a quick Buck with the redo.

Which all sucks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard