Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Even Grawp? That's the only thing I was unhappy with that they showed in the movie. Too "cute" IMO.

No, see, I liked how the did Grawp. He had this cute, innocent kind of charm.

Remember book 6, where he's stuffed into a tux at Dumbledore's funeral.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, see, I liked how the did Grawp. He had this cute, innocent kind of charm. .

Yeah, but in book five they were terrified of him..he was scary, pulling up trees and out of control when they first met him...then later when he shows up they were still scared until he said "Heeeeeermee...where Haaaagggrrr?"

I just thought he should have been more scary looking than cute. Dunno, it's a nitpick for sure. I still loved the hell out of the movie and may go see it again in the theater.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok.... I admit it.... I'm a dork. Being so, will someone explain to me exactly what the "connection" is between Harry and LV is that they keep referring to?? I don't get it. Or does that come up in book 6 or 7 or not at all???

p.s. I have not read the books, I've only seen the movies (all of 'em).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ok.... I admit it.... I'm a dork. Being so, will someone explain to me exactly what the "connection" is between Harry and LV is that they keep referring to?? I don't get it. Or does that come up in book 6 or 7 or not at all???

The idea is when Voldemort killed Harry's parents, Harry was able to survive the killer's curse (Imposter Moody talks about it in Goblet of Fire), but that also created a sort of bond between the two--which is why LV can read Harry's mind, Harry can dream about what Voldemort is doing, and why he can speak Parseltongue. That's pretty simplistic, but it's the general gist of it.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea is when Voldemort killed Harry's parents, Harry was able to survive the killer's curse (Imposter Moody talks about it in Goblet of Fire), but that also created a sort of bond between the two--which is why LV can read Harry's mind, Harry can dream about what Voldemort is doing, and why he can speak Parseltongue. That's pretty simplistic, but it's the general gist of it.

I thought it was also because of Harry's blood used by Wormtail (whatever his name is) in Goblet of Fire to help raise Voldemort back from the dead?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought it was also because of Harry's blood used by Wormtail (whatever his name is) in Goblet of Fire to help raise Voldemort back from the dead?

But the reason he had to use Harry's blood was because the connection existed in the first place.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty good movie - can't remember if I liked it as much as I did 3, but it was world's better than 1, 2 and 4. I like that this is a series where there are actually dire consequences to people you care about. It was the one thing that always bothered me about Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings - all three stories deal with WAR on different levels, but all the main characters in Wars and Rings pretty much made it out unscathed. Even in hyper-unrealistic worlds, that seemed extremely unrealistic to me. There's a gravity to this series - that's what I'm trying to say and I know there will be even more (thanks again Stout!).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here goes...

Voldemort killed James and Lilly Potter, but when he tried it on the baby Harry something went wrong, Harry got the lightning bolt scar and Voldy became akin to a floating soul...no body and no power...in the first book/movie he was on the professor's head, trying to get his body back, feeding off of unicorn blood to live, etc.

Harry is "The Boy Who Lived" and there is a strong connection between the two. The prophecy that Harry recovers in movie 5 here, in the books, contained other information about him being the only one who could stop Voldemort, and that he'd be born at a certain timeframe and that Voldy would mark him as an equal, and then that neither could live while the other survived. Voldy didn't hear all of that, just that there was a threat to him in the form of a baby being born at a certain time, and attacked the Potters. You'll find out how he was protected in book 6 (if you haven't already...I don't remember when that happens).

Harry and Voldemort are two sides of the same coin, it seems...connected through a weird aftershock of the spell that didn't kill Harry...even their wands are similar...Voldy's and Harry's are "brothers" and both have on of Fawkes' tailfeathers in them. Now that Harry's blood was used to bring Voldemort back, they are connected even MORE than before, so much so that in the BOOK when Dumbledore finds out that Harry's blood was used his face is said to flash a "look of triumph."

Also, when Dumbledore fights Voldy at the end of the latest movie/book, the spell he uses on him is one that is not meant to kill Voldemort...that's just to tease you for book and movie 6. :)

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
it was a good movie

the ending seemed kinda rushed but it was good

the only thing i wish they had added is more dialogue between dumbledore and voldemort at the end

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
pretty good movie - can't remember if I liked it as much as I did 3, but it was world's better than 1, 2 and 4. I like that this is a series where there are actually dire consequences to people you care about. It was the one thing that always bothered me about Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings - all three stories deal with WAR on different levels, but all the main characters in Wars and Rings pretty much made it out unscathed. Even in hyper-unrealistic worlds, that seemed extremely unrealistic to me. There's a gravity to this series - that's what I'm trying to say and I know there will be even more (thanks again Stout!).

Well, Frodo was haunted by his wound until the day he crossed over the sea himself, but your point is well made.

And again, I figured everyone had read the books. And again, I am sorry. As I've already said. Do you need more apologies?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Ouch, sorry that was spoiled for you cheesebeef. I also had one of the deaths spoiled for me right before I read it.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what I'm trying to say and I know there will be even more (thanks again Stout!).

You weren't completely spoiled though, so there is that.

Honestly, I'm a little shocked that you didn't know that...it is kind of pop culture at this point and and I thought it was well outside the realm of pottheads knowledge.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

Honestly, I'm a little shocked that you didn't know that...it is kind of pop culture at this point and and I thought it was well outside the realm of pottheads knowledge.

thats what i would have figured

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i don't pay attention whatsoever to the books or it's accompanying fanfare.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Frodo was haunted by his wound until the day he crossed over the sea himself, but your point is well made.

And again, I figured everyone had read the books. And again, I am sorry. As I've already said. Do you need more apologies?

i was just needling you a little bit Stout. Didn't realize you would take offense. it was meant in jest.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a lot of You're the Man Now Dogs on it, and tons of other things. It kind of reached out of the bookosphere.

i'm not sure what your first sentence means, but as far as your second, it didn't reach my circle of friends/family, which is pretty massive.