Hamm should give up the medal

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know its not his fault the judges messed up the scoring for the individual all around, and he clearly performed his best, but the Korean dude did better.

Personally I would give up the medal and except the bronze, because I don't think I could handle the lifetime of second guessing and the knowledge that I didn't earn that medal 100%.

I really hope he makes the right decision and turn in the medal

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I know its not his fault the judges messed up the scoring for the individual all around, and he clearly performed his best, but the Korean dude did better.

Personally I would give up the medal and except the bronze, because I don't think I could handle the lifetime of second guessing and the knowledge that I didn't earn that medal 100%.

It wasn't just the judges' fault, it was also the fault of the Koreans. All they had to do was file an appeal within 24 hours and they didn't.

If they would have simply followed the rules on these things, they would get the gold medal outright.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

I disagree. Had the judges scored the Korean correctly during the competition, it might have changed the remaining competition itself.
The Judges screwed up. The Koreans screwed up. Paul Hamm did nothing wrong. Why should Paul suffer?

And BTW, Paul would not get the bronze - regardless, it would be silver.

Paul Hamm should only give back his gold if the Koreans make their boxer give Roy Jones his......

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Paul Hamm should only give back his gold if the Koreans make their boxer give Roy Jones his......

Touche! :whip:

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
I disagree. Had the judges scored the Korean correctly during the competition, it might have changed the remaining competition itself.
The Judges screwed up. The Koreans screwed up. Paul Hamm did nothing wrong. Why should Paul suffer?

And BTW, Paul would not get the bronze - regardless, it would be silver.

Could Hamm tried a harder dificulty or tried to be a little more perfect (and risk screwing up) if the judges would have scored correctly?

I think maybe both should have gotten golds.... Mostly I feel it's the judges fault.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
What do you mean "MIGHT HAVE"??? It would have changed the out come, like Hamm being the bronze metalist and the Korean dude the Gold. Whats fair is fair, it was neither of the athletes fault.

My original point was, I would have already given up the medal because I didn't deserve it. It would be like going down to a trophy store and buying a bunch of golf trophys and putting them on my desk.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
While Hamm does not "have to" give it up, and while I understand why he would not want to, the right thing for him to do is to be the better man and do it anyway.

His medal will always be known as the one awarded by accident. I guess he can live with knowing that he got the medal even though, based on actual scoring and performance, he did not earn it.

It's his conscience.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
What do you mean "MIGHT HAVE"??? It would have changed the out come, like Hamm being the bronze metalist and the Korean dude the Gold. Whats fair is fair, it was neither of the athletes fault.

My original point was, I would have already given up the medal because I didn't deserve it. It would be like going down to a trophy store and buying a bunch of golf trophys and putting them on my desk.

First off, even had the scoring been correct, Hamm would have only been bumped to a silver, not a bronze.

And second - how would this have affected the rest of the outcome? We will never know - BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN UNTIL THE EVENT WAS OVER - kind of like saying "if only we had gotten the right call in the 2nd quarter, we would have won......"

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Unfortunately for the South Koreans you can't change the result after the game is over. Even if you got a bad call. It is part of the game. If they go back to review and change the call where is the cut off? How many others will have a case to go back and change the result?

They had a chance to challange the 9.9 start score before the medals were handed out.

Hordispack

Veteran
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard of this. Apparently I am not the male gymnastics enthusiast the rest of you are. What about the Russian (?) pair ice skaters that won over the canadians. Even when it was proven a judge fixed it, they did not give back the medal. Does anyone consider them champions? I dont think so. What good is the medal if no one sees you as a champion? A hollow victory. Might as well buy one on ebay.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Well, I just watched part of the Olympics and they were saying in a way the judges ultimately got it right.

Although there was a massive screwup in the level of difficulty given to the Korean gymnast, he would have been deducted .2 points for using too many holds on the parallel bars. They are saying that if it were scored properly, he probably wouldn't have won bronze.

Hamm deserves the gold medal

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Well, I just watched part of the Olympics and they were saying in a way the judges ultimately got it right.

Although there was a massive screwup in the level of difficulty given to the Korean gymnast, he would have been deducted .2 points for using too many holds on the parallel bars. They are saying that if it were scored properly, he probably wouldn't have won bronze.

Hamm deserves the gold medal

I saw that too, and it opens up even more ?'s:

1. Do they now award a duplicate bronze?
2. Does this completly take out an after event review?

well...not really big ?'s but still.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
I saw that too, and it opens up even more ?'s:

1. Do they now award a duplicate bronze?
2. Does this completly take out an after event review?

well...not really big ?'s but still.
I don't think so because the Korean dude won the Silver so they are just going to keep it the way it is.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I don't think so because the Korean dude won the Silver so they are just going to keep it the way it is.

Although I agree that ultimately nothing will change, the dispute was for the Korean who got bronze.

The Korean that won silver's performance was scored properly

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Although I agree that ultimately nothing will change, the dispute was for the Korean who got bronze.

The Korean that won silver's performance was scored properly
Oh, well then my bad :knowsnothing:

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
The Korean did not protest with 24 hours. That is the rule. Sorry but judges are human. No change please.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The judges are human. Did anyone see the Naimov guy on the high bar and the judges gave him an unfairly low socre. The crowd was sooo loud and would not wuiet down, and finally the main overseeing judge came over and helped to change the score.

Man, those Greek fans sure are passionate!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At first I thought that Hamm should give up the Gold Medal. Then when I started thinking about it I changed my mind. This is a Judged sport so you can't really go back after the medals have been handed out and change scores. Yes a couple of judges messed up and they were diciplined but you find that in every sport. Officials make the wrong call all the time and play goes on.

If this was an intentional mistake then yes Award the guy another Gold medal. However I don't think this was intential. It was just human error.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
The judges are human. Did anyone see the Naimov guy on the high bar and the judges gave him an unfairly low socre. The crowd was sooo loud and would not wuiet down, and finally the main overseeing judge came over and helped to change the score.

Man, those Greek fans sure are passionate!
Yeah I saw that last night.

Man did I feel bad for Hamm. What a hard position to be in. The Crowd wouldn't calm down. Even when Naimov gave the quiet down gesture.

Then Hamm goes and scores higher than Naimov and it sounded like the crowd wasn't happy. Like it was Hamm's fault for the judges scores.

Hordispack

Veteran
Reaction score
After watching Tim Daggets commentary last night. I see why Hamm should not give up the Gold. Did anyone else see it? The Korean did 4 hold moves. He knew he was only allowed three. automatic deduction.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hordispack said:
After watching Tim Daggets commentary last night. I see why Hamm should not give up the Gold. Did anyone else see it? The Korean did 4 hold moves. He knew he was only allowed three. automatic deduction.
I saw that also.

That was part of the reason I changed my mind and decided that a judged sport shouldn't change the results after the medals have been awarded.

Unless of course corrupt judging came into play like back in the winter olympics when the Canadians got screwed. Which I don't think is the case here.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Hordispack said:
A 0.2 deduction...that would have been enough to bump him from the medals...the number 4 guy is probably pissed....

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have the ultimate solution. Get rid of all the evenst that arent the original 12 made by the early Greeks. Thsi eliminates all judging events. The original events you can clearly see who won by how far something goes or how high they jump.

I dont give a rats ass about the olympics until they go back to the original "waring" events to find out which country has the best warriors. (The original meaning of the plympics) I dont want but wouldnt mind if they added new methods of warfare like archery, fencing, shooting.

But stick to the original idea of the olympics!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson