Gut Check Time???

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Doug, not sure we will ever be saying Kurt who? However we could be saying a page has been turned on to new and greater heights for this org. It is possible we have that kind of talent. I want to see that kind of leadership. Jerr Rice leadership, Roger Staubach leadership, Joe Gibbs leadership. We may have that here. We just need to belive it and see it in action.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2nd game of the season simply isn't a must win.

The offense will take some time to fully gel. No doubt in my mind that the offense will get better and better as the season plays out.

I am not very concerned about league wide perception of the Cards.
I'm not very concerned about someone calling me a poop head etc. I'm a bit tougher then letting this kind of thing bother me.

Following the logic of this thread a true championship team should be 16-0 every year.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Following the logic of this thread a true championship team should be 16-0 every year.

No, not 16-0 but I would rather be closer to the Patriots(thought of as a dynasty) than the Cards( thought of as pathetic losers lucky to be in the league) It was embarrassing for everyone to pick the Rams to beat us after what we did last year. If we can change that perception one game at a time I am for it. Lets start this week. Better to start 4-1 than 1-4 or 2-3. Unless we continue to win these kind of games as we did last year, we won't climb that ladder.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, not 16-0 but I would rather be closer to the Patriots(thought of as a dynasty) than the Cards( thought of as pathetic losers lucky to be in the league) It was embarrassing for everyone to pick the Rams to beat us after what we did last year. If we can change that perception one game at a time I am for it. Lets start this week. Better to start 4-1 than 1-4 or 2-3. Unless we continue to win these kind of games as we did last year, we won't climb that ladder.

I don't get embarrased about pundits picking the Rams. I just shake my head and say in Whiz I trust.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
In DD I trust, In Fitz I trust, In AW I trust...In Whiz...the jury is still out. I hope you can shake your head and say that if we start 1-4 and still having to go to Seattle and Minn 2 of the next 3. That would be the very definition of standing in quicksand. I am just hoping for more at this stage and for the Cardinals.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So after everything Whiz has done, you still don't trust his coaching unless we beat Atlanta?

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
So after everything Whiz has done, you still don't trust his coaching unless we beat Atlanta?

I have laid out in many other post why I do not blindly believe in Coach Whiz. I am hoping to be wrong. We are on that path now to prove or disprove that he is or is not the Great Coach that so many think he is. I have reservations and if proven wrong I will eat the crow. I HOPE to be wrong. It will mean the Cards have really started a new destiny and he will be the catylist. I will be right there to pucker up as many have here and kiss his tush. But I will wait for the kiss thanks. Lets get it started in ATL. Until then I believe Kurt and his greatest show with Fitz and Boldin lifted this team. Not the Coach.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not messing with you, but the guys you mentioned you do trust, are the guys coach has on the field. Kurt retired, (i wish he didn't) and Boldin left on his own. So by your logic, if we win , its the players credit. If we lose, you will continue to further doubt the coach. I just like the motto: We do this together.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't really get the logic. We have pulled stinkers in THIS exact type of situation WITH Warner at the helm and Whiz as coach. One game doesn't tell you who you are no matter how much you would like to make it so. Especially when you aren't playing with a full deck.

Yet we were still a division and playoff contending team.

Other than the Jets in 2008 when? Heck even in that game the Cards came back from 34-0 to make it 34-21 and Warner threw for almost 500 yards.

And they had just come off a tough loss on the road at Washington in game 3. Which was exactly the kind of game I would expect from this team this year in Atlanta. (Only I hope they win instead of lose.)

The Cards won 5 straight road games last season!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
I'm not messing with you, but the guys you mentioned you do trust, are the guys coach has on the field. Kurt retired, (i wish he didn't) and Boldin left on his own. So by your logic, if we win , its the players credit. If we lose, you will continue to further doubt the coach. I just like the motto: We do this together.

I disagree that Boldin left of his own accord, but it is over and done with. The 3 guys I mentioned were here before Whis. I think this season forward if we win it is What Whis has built. The previous coach put the talent on the team. Yes I am saying coattails were ridden and frankly I am glad for it because we went to a Super Bowl in my lifetime. The We do this together had to be adopted. Whis couldn't seriously gut the whole team the moment he arrived. He has now what he has developed save 4 guys(3 I mentioned) and he will win or lose with them. I prefer Winning and want a W tomorrow in ATL.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree that Boldin left of his own accord, but it is over and done with. The 3 guys I mentioned were here before Whis. I think this season forward if we win it is What Whis has built. The previous coach put the talent on the team. Yes I am saying coattails were ridden and frankly I am glad for it because we went to a Super Bowl in my lifetime. The We do this together had to be adopted. Whis couldn't seriously gut the whole team the moment he arrived. He has now what he has developed save 4 guys(3 I mentioned) and he will win or lose with them. I prefer Winning and want a W tomorrow in ATL.

I too want the win tomorrow good sir.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I have laid out in many other post why I do not blindly believe in Coach Whiz. I am hoping to be wrong. We are on that path now to prove or disprove that he is or is not the Great Coach that so many think he is. I have reservations and if proven wrong I will eat the crow. I HOPE to be wrong. It will mean the Cards have really started a new destiny and he will be the catylist. I will be right there to pucker up as many have here and kiss his tush. But I will wait for the kiss thanks. Lets get it started in ATL. Until then I believe Kurt and his greatest show with Fitz and Boldin lifted this team. Not the Coach.
Kurt, Fitz, and Boldin were there way before "the Coach" and we were still the armpits of the NFL... why were these folks not able to "lift" the team then??? We have not had a losing season since the coach arrived and turned around the attitude of this sorry team. Not sure what else proof do you need.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kurt, Fitz, and Boldin were there way before "the Coach" and we were still the armpits of the NFL... why were these folks not able to "lift" the team then??? We have not had a losing season since the coach arrived and turned around the attitude of this sorry team. Not sure what else proof do you need.

i gotta agree. with ALL those guys, this team was consistently... AWFUL. Not mediocre... not bad. They were AWFUL. How Warner, Fitz and Boldin get the lion's share of the credit doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Whiz and I also credit him with a lot of our success. I do not credit any previous coaches for the teams turn around. I can't figure out how Whiz can "ride the coattails" of a coach that didn't even make the play offs. But we both want the win in ATL so its all good over here.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I will continue to take shots at the coach and his staff until they win games like this on the road. The talent is there to win these games. Lets get it done. I want to be a believer.

I really don't know why you would do this-----Whiz has turned this team into one of the best road-teams in the leageu since the debacle in New England in the '08 season.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score

I am not interested in rehashing this argument as it will draw out the same puckers...I will just say that Whis has had more to work with than any coach the Cards have had....ever. The stadium and new younger leadership in the front office has a lot to do with that as well as the previous coach. Whis to his credit has made good decisions for a coach who came to us with little experience. He allowed them to gel as a unit without a giant ego telling them how to do things. He can make me pucker by winning this season and beyond. He has cast his net. Lets see what it gets us. With out the aformentioned players he has his work cut out for him. Hope his drafts and game management pan out for us. And you know as well as I that DG did not have enough talent on the Lines to generate wins. He inherited 2 players and an empty cupboard and proceeded to restock it with talent that Dave Mac could only dream of. Unfortunatly you cant fix everything in a couple of seasons. Fortunatly the ownership got a stadium so they were emeresed in there new found wealth so as to let him do his thing...until the Monday Night Meltdown. DG had his faults but it wasn't that he couldn't get talent to gel. He did it in Minn and would have given enough time here in AZ.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not interested in rehashing this argument as it will draw out the same puckers...I will just say that Whis has had more to work with than any coach the Cards have had....ever. The stadium and new younger leadership in the front office has a lot to do with that as well as the previous coach. Whis to his credit has made good decisions for a coach who came to us with little experience. He allowed them to gel as a unit without a giant ego telling them how to do things. He can make me pucker by winning this season and beyond. He has cast his net. Lets see what it gets us. With out the aformentioned players he has his work cut out for him. Hope his drafts and game management pan out for us. And you know as well as I that DG did not have enough talent on the Lines to generate wins. He inherited 2 players and an empty cupboard and proceeded to restock it with talent that Dave Mac could only dream of. Unfortunatly you cant fix everything in a couple of seasons. Fortunatly the ownership got a stadium so they were emeresed in there new found wealth so as to let him do his thing...until the Monday Night Meltdown. DG had his faults but it wasn't that he couldn't get talent to gel. He did it in Minn and would have given enough time here in AZ.

now you're not only not giving Wiz credit, but you're defending Dennis Green? It's not like the team was good before the Monday Night Meltdown... they had lost 4 games in a row at that point... after having been terrible for the past three seasons.

DG was a pretty solid evaluator of talent for us... and that's about it. not sure how anyone can argue anything else.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
DG was a pretty solid evaluator of talent for us... and that's about it. not sure how anyone can argue anything else.

No arguement. He supplied the talent and was cut off at the knees after the big stage meltdown and didn't get the chance to see thru the project. (Building the Lines)You know what I am done defending DG. His record speaks for itself. Whis will go forward and hopefully bring us a Super Bowl trophy and all is well in smallsville. He has the talent on this team to do it and it is all up to them now. It needs to start now with a little respect after we beat the Falcons.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
now you're not only not giving Wiz credit, but you're defending Dennis Green? It's not like the team was good before the Monday Night Meltdown... they had lost 4 games in a row at that point... after having been terrible for the past three seasons.

That's not exactly true. 2004-2006 they reverted to your father's Cardinals. Mediocre teams that just kept finding a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But not getting beat every week 34-10 like during the Disaster Dave Mcginnis years.

The 2004 team was actually fairly good. They just couldn't win. For one reason they had no real QB. Highest ranked defense in 10 years though.

In 2005 both Fitz and Q had over 1400 yards receiving and the Cards ranked #1 in passing offense. Sadly they also ranked 32nd in rushing.

2006 I think the team was just got some horrible breaks. Warner drops the ball vs the Rams, the KC debacle, the monday night meltdown and they just quit for awhile. They actually won 4 of their last 7 games.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You're already wrong, regardless of what happens tomorrow in Atlanta. Whisenhunt came in here & we were competitive from Day 1. Two-time defending NFC West Champs & a trip to the SB. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're either being intellectually dishonest or just trying to be an idiot.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I agree mostly with everyone in this thread.Its not all black and white.I do believe the new Coaching staff Coach Whiz was so much more organized and proffesional than the loosey goosey style of Chilidog besides his Post Bears game rant.

Whiz having Todd Haley along with coach Lott work so closely with kurt Warner gave him back what he came into the league with with coach Vermeil.Some may disagree that Vermeil is,but he is a VERY STRICT disciplanarian.

Whiz brought his offensive leadership that had won a SB already and was'nt rewarded with the Head Coaching job in Pennsylvania and now he does'nt need to pay someone to shovel his driveway everyday in the winter anymore.

Whiz leads in a very fair way Chilidog did'nt.Chili was Billy's pet and not his own man anymore after Minnesota gravy days.

Whiz decided to adjust the team to the talent and not just play steeler football.Don't think he was thrilled with Pendergast when he got here and after a successfull first year in my opinion he picked a guy to run things (HIS) way.Not just an offensive coach but has his hand on both sides and I "LOVE" it.

Mike Martz with the Rams would run the offense and hired Lovie Smith to do everything on the defense.Thats why he is back where he only fits (If That) as an offensive coordinator only.

Whiz is the real deal and even though we had Kurt Warner pass through on his way to retirement.This team is still on its way to replace everyone we lost and get stronger in the TEAM part and not have to depend on ONE main guy to Lead the offense in whatever style that was convenient to his health abilities.

Kurt did make things easier for Ken in what he read and saw the defenses trying to do while DA can't see what Warner saw.So we have enough Pro Bowl calibur players on offense and defense and now we're able to have depth due to the best drafting I've ever seen, yet it could be better.

I'm to old to play with sayings like in Whiz we or I trust.The man is just the best person for the job.I can think of maybe 5 other head coaches I'd rather have.I like his style and his judgement has proved me wrong enough to mostly just shutup when he cuts a guy like Lienart.I avoided the board till it all past.

I truly believe DA was reborn under Ken and has been shown total fundamentals he has had to work to change and probably is only 20% of where Whiz believes he can go.DA has surely never had this much talent surrounding him ever in the NFL.He must have the proper attitude to work with Ken on the other end of the Headset as Chris is'nt that tough of a qb coach.Kurt probably taught Miller things in his last year.

I believe the same old cards were dead a few years ago and some are just finding out that things are'nt going back to where they were for decades.

I believe this CARDINALS team is hard to work with on contracts but they have a real team concept and don't have too many characters to take away from Whiz' leadership.

I think this team believes in its schemes and that they can BEAT the falcons in the Georgia Dome in the Early East coast game tomorrow.This team will get better week by week in MPO.Too much talent from the line on back to the RB,WR's&TE's.We have moving parts and maybe might need to adjust our ORT if he has two bad games in a row.

Our defense "COULD BE" very good this year if health stays on our side.145 players have been placed on IR already this season and 12 more were moved there after week one of the tough NFL.

"90",Watson/Williams,Campbell,Lenon,Washington,Haggans,Porter and the new strength of this defense in a healthy DRC,Toler,AW,Rhodes.With Matt Ware always gonna be part of the mix on the field as the most "under rated"
defensive player we have when healthy and last year when he went down for the season this team could not cover for what he allows us to do with AW.McBride saved us 5 Mill by not having McFadden as our 3rd CB.This is also Rashad Johnson's KEY year to show he's learned a very tough mental position for this team and start playing like he did for BAMA as their defensive captain and qb and tackle with his head up and with technique.

Haggans,Porter,Faneca,Robinson will all tell you tomorrow is a WIN for the Cardinals in their minds as they sleep tonight in Atlanta.

Since Ken Whizenhunt came to ARIZONA a small book of jinx's and records we never could break have been shattered.The first chapter if Billy B.JR. has his way has'nt even been finished.Tomorrow is just another line in that 1st chapter. SOC's is a thing of the past as next year this "TEAM" only gets better again.Get used to it along with many heart clutching games along the way as nothing is easy in the NFL.ENJOY:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
You're already wrong, regardless of what happens tomorrow in Atlanta. Whisenhunt came in here & we were competitive from Day 1. Two-time defending NFC West Champs & a trip to the SB. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're either being intellectually dishonest or just trying to be an idiot.

Let me break this down for you. To many people take things out of context. They cherry pick one sentence and try and depose what you mean. Look, I agree we were competitive but he simply did it with a team that had already been assembled by his predesessor. There is no dishonesty in that. He now has his group and lets see what he has with it. He inherited the makings of a great team. Acknowledge or don't I could give a rats butt but don't call names and ingage in an attack...I am done with this keep your own opinion.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We were already competitive before CKW. The Cards were a Warner fumble and two missed FGs by Rackers from probably winning the West in 2006. For those who have forgotten the Cards were 4-2 in the division that year and if Wells doesn't kick the ball out of Warner's hands they would have been 5-1.

CKW got this team to win on the road. That is what has separated him from the other coaches.

But this is the first year that CKW has to rely primarily on his guys not guys he inherited. Let's see how he does before we call people idiots for questioning any little thing he does.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
RATS I'm sure PA did'nt mean to name call.This had been a good thread and we all can be glad in that the future looks brighter every week.If only we stay healthy with our aging OLB vets who need replacing next year and will be.Lets all chill out and realize we are on the same ship with no place to go.

The only coach I'd just jump at over ours is the titans Fisher.Really respect the guy and what he keeps bringing.A lot like Whiz.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
RATS I'm sure PA did'nt mean to name call.This had been a good thread and we all can be glad in that the future looks brighter every week.If only we stay healthy with our aging OLB vets who need replacing next year and will be.Lets all chill out and realize we are on the same ship with no place to go.

The only coach I'd just jump at over ours is the titans Fisher.Really respect the guy and what he keeps bringing.A lot like Whiz.

Doug, your assessment was very fair up above and I agree with most all of it. Our future in this league should be very bright with the talent that has been assembled and all any of us want is a NFL Championship. Hope Whiz delivers that.