Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Lovie Smith is an example of a team being cheap with their head coach, they wouldn't even discuss a contract extension with him during the season even though he was the lowest paid coach in the NFL and his team was leading the NFC in wins.

Of course the Cards have never been in that situation with a low paid coach coaching beyond his salary. Its normally more like what we got with Green, overpaying a coach who isn't earning a dime.

The McCaskeys are complete a-holes. I can't think of a bunch of money-grubbing cheap SOBs who deserve to win a Super Bowl less. We should take hope from the Bears' example - even with owners who aren't willing to spend ANYTHING (and believe me, Bidwill spends more than the McCaskeys) you can have a championship team with the right people in place.

Hiring coaches is always such a big dice-roll. A good one will make you so much better, and a lame one is like a concrete life preserver.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Average NFL HC salary is 2.9 to 3 million. It was reported that the big W is getting paid 2.5 per season. Though that's not drastically below that is what is being reported. Nobody will know for sure unless you get a peak at the contract but usually these reports are pretty accurate. Someone had a link to the coaches salary reports. At least that's how I looked it up. So if true he is being paid a below average salary.

Like I said before, below average or not, I think its a good choice.

OK, so where did this come from? Is that the average or an inflated figure due to one or two teams who overpay? What do the 2 Superbowl teams pay their coaches?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nice. I'll eat crow on this (never thought the Bidwills would pay for an assistant of this caliber, I was wrong), but I'm still holding my breath on Pendergast. Please hire somebody else, we're one legit defensive coordinator away from an actual NFL coaching staff - a first for the Birds.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Hiring coaches is always such a big dice-roll. A good one will make you so much better, and a lame one is like a concrete life preserver.[/quote]

Are you referring to the "coach" we just sent back to the Chili Dog Parlor?

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
OK, so where did this come from? Is that the average or an inflated figure due to one or two teams who overpay? What do the 2 Superbowl teams pay their coaches?

Who are the one or two teams that overpay? Why do you argue by insisting that everyone else's facts are "made up" and then drop gems like that?

Lovie Smith is the lowest-paid HC in the league.

Tony Dungy makes about $4 million.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Put down the coolaid.....put down the coolaid. :koolaid:

It would be cool though.

never, now is the perfect time for drinking the koolaid--with so long to go before the season, these predictions will be long forgotten as romantic idealism.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lets see what he can do with the Oline ... also he will bring another stable presence in the locker ..

Hats off to the FO for not hesitating and making the move ...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am dubbing our revamped oline "The Javelinas" after Grimm's "Hog" Days.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are the one or two teams that overpay? Why do you argue by insisting that everyone else's facts are "made up" and then drop gems like that?

Lovie Smith is the lowest-paid HC in the league.

Tony Dungy makes about $4 million.

Because I am tired of hearing the same old refrain no matter what the Cardinals do. Anyone who is still grousing about them being cheap after what has transpired this year is so far off base, it's ridiculous.

Can we just stop bashing for bashings sake and appreciate what the Bidwills are doing to try and get this team to win.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why not keep Steve Loney? He can understudy with Grimm until Grimm leaves for a HC'ing position....as soon as next year?

Understudy?

Grimm's O-line last year gave up 49 sacks...
Loney's 36 (with a big drop off in the latter part of the season when the line gelled)

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards hire Grimm

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 23, 2007 01:57 PM

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt made a key addition to his staff Tuesday, hiring Russ Grimm as assistant head coach/offensive line, the team announced.

Grimm held that same position with the Steelers and was a finalist to replace Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh. But Mike Tomlin was hired for the job, and the Steelers released Grimm from his contract.

So Grimm decided to join Whisenhunt in Arizona. Both men also interviewed for the Cardinals job. It’s a major coup for the Cardinals, because Grimm is well regarded in NFL for building strong offensive line and physical running attacks.

Coinciding with Grimm’s hiring, the Cardinals released Steve Loney, their offensive line coach last year, from his contract. They also released receivers coach Mike Wilson and recently let linebackers coach Frank Bush go.

Defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast and quality control coach Rick Courtright are expected to join Whisenhunt’s staff, although their roles have not been announced.

Grimm spent the past six seasons coaching the Steelers’ offensive line. He also was the team’s assistant head coach the past three years.

Both Grimm and Whisenhunt interviewed for the Steelers’ job, and Grimm was a finalist along with Tomlin and Georgia Tech coach Chan Gailey.

Grimm, who played offensive guard for 11 NFL seasons, is one of 17 finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year. That vote will be held on Feb. 3.

“Obviously I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous,” Whisenhunt said in a statement.

Reaction score
I wonder if this means that Ross is moved to RT or if Ross was let go in the first place on Grimm's recommendations. If Ross is moved to RT, do they move the "athletic" :)roll:) Wells to the bench or inside in spite of good play from Brown and Lutui?
I have mentioned this before (a couple times actually)....

Last fall prior to the preseason game vs. the Steelers I asked Grimm what he felt was the problem with O. Ross, who since coming to play for the Cardinals, was performing very poorly. Grimm's reply was, "I don't know what the problem is, but he (O. Ross) played well when I had him."

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Because I am tired of hearing the same old refrain no matter what the Cardinals do. Anyone who is still grousing about them being cheap after what has transpired this year is so far off base, it's ridiculous.

Can we just stop bashing for bashings sake and appreciate what the Bidwills are doing to try and get this team to win.

No bashing - just asking you to clarify a vague comment, as you often ask others to do.

And yes, this is a GOOD DAY and I say we just enjoy it.

PS - Forbes Magazine has an article (2002) stating that the average HC salary is $2.5 million. I would be absolutely shocked if that hadn't risen in 4 years. So if that was 2003, then $2.9 million sounds about right for 2006.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/01/24/cx_aw_0124coaches.html

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think I heard that Lovie stopped discussions with the Bears until after the season. Could be wrong.

I saw an interview with a Bears executive and he dismissed any notion of tearing up or extending Lovies deal...this was early in the season so unless things changed since then I at least haven't heard it.

A recent article I read in FoxSports said the Bears seem willing to wait until Smiths $1.3 million contract expires after the 2007 season before they do anything!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yep that is correct.

Umm wrong...this is from an article earlier this season....

>>Normally I begin these bi-weekly diaries with observations regarding a youngster or two making waves or a veteran player trying to right his career wrongs. But with the Bears, something much different stood out to me during my camp stop. The story here is: this team is giving head coach Lovie Smith the shaft.

Smith, who never publicly lashes out on contract matters, wanted a new deal this off-season. He is currently the NFL's lowest-paid head coach. In fact, Smith now makes less than a couple of coordinators out there.

It's little secret that I have a very good relationship with Smith. However, I've got a very good relationship with a lot of coaches I believe aren't very good, some of which shouldn't be in their current positions. Relationship aside, I pen this story because I believe the Bears have the right guy long term and because during and after my visit players reached out to me grumbling about the team's treatment of their head coach.

It's not the first time since the end of last year I've heard from Smith's players about his status and their shock at the franchise for refusing to reward him.

"I think it's wrong," said All-Pro MLB Brian Urlacher. "Coach Smith has done a lot more with this team than anyone could have expected, especially when you consider all the injuries we've had. He's the lowest-paid head coach in the league. We want him here. The players love him, but we also think he should be rewarded like everyone else.

"You've got coordinators making more than him! That's just not right, and I think it's not too late for the team to do the right thing. All the other coaches who made the playoffs got new deals, so I hope they still get something done with him because he deserves it."

Others who have made the playoffs just once such as Jack Del Rio, Jim Mora and Marvin Lewis all got significant pay raises this year. Yet Smith was told by upper, upper, upper brass that no such deal would be thrown his way because they were burned by Dick Jauron prior to Smith. So? Different times, different staff, different men.

If Smith's Bears can repeat next year and Smith has one year left on his deal, his price is going to be a heck of a lot more expensive than it would have been had they gotten him done after last year. There is also no guarantee Smith will even agree to a deal after this year considering the Bears' treatment of him. If I'm the owner and have an extremely popular head coach and have to pay $1 million per year extra because my management didn't want to follow today's current standards, I'd be mighty ticked at what I could have paid.

I'd be even angrier if he bolted. The fans think it's bogus. The players think it's bogus. Even Smith's peers think it's bogus.

"You better be careful with what you gamble on in this league," said another NFC head coach. "Why would they do that with Lovie? It doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sure they must have a reason. You just hope it doesn't come back to bite them."

With coordinators now beginning to get $2 million-plus per year, the Bears should have done right by Smith. They still may, but it appears that won't happen this year. He'll have to make that money up in the future, but the problem now for Smith is that even if his team duplicates the success it had last season, management can say it wasn't as good a job coaching as a year ago when Smith had to get it done with a rookie third-string QB. Plus, the division has gotten much improved with the Vikings and Lions both expected to be much more competitive than a year ago.

Smith will have no problem finding another head coaching job if he plays this deal out, but the Bears' management will have a hard time explaining to their fans and players why they lost out on such a strong coach. Or they'll have to explain to ownership why they had to pay out the nose in a year from now.

Even if the Bears falter, did they really win out on this gamble? The players and city love the guy, so would a bad year or two really warrant trying to find an upgrade? Good luck rolling the dice.<<

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice hire on Grimm. Now if the Steeler would just release a DC so we could cut Clancy loose .

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a major coup for the Cardinals, because Grimm is well regarded in NFL for building strong offensive line and physical running attacks.
Its not often that you here those words associated with the Cardinals ....