Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having said that, I think Whiz is a great hire and that the Cards lucked out by getting a guy of his calibur for the price they did. That had more to do with Whiz wanting a HC gig then the Cards though. You can usually get an assistant to take less for the opportunity. The Cards knew this.

Having taken a bash at the Cardinals, you now add the send one. ie There where not smart, just lucky.

Did you consider that it was a well planned and executed process that gneerated this good result ?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No bashing - just asking you to clarify a vague comment, as you often ask others to do.

And yes, this is a GOOD DAY and I say we just enjoy it.

PS - Forbes Magazine has an article (2002) stating that the average HC salary is $2.5 million. I would be absolutely shocked if that hadn't risen in 4 years. So if that was 2003, then $2.9 million sounds about right for 2006.

http://www.forbes.com/2003/01/24/cx_aw_0124coaches.html

Ed, I don't know what you find vague about my questions. You've got 2 coaches in the Superbowl, one of them in the higher percentile and one of them the lowest paid coach in the NFL. So what does salary have to do with anything.

Another thing to consider is that the Cards are paying 3 head coaching salaries this year. Green, Whisenhunt and Grimm. We know what Green and Whisenhunt are making and I'll bet Grimm is close to $2 million. That's $7,000,000 for 3 members of the staff. Do you really think that doesn't put them in the top 10 in salaries.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having taken a bash at the Cardinals, you now add the send one. ie There where not smart, just lucky.

Did you consider that it was a well planned and executed process that gneerated this good result ?
Good lord, Nidan. Are you Michael Bidwill himself? You take offense so easily.

Did the Cards plan/hope they'd get Grimm AND Whiz? Sure, probably. But there was luck involved, too. The cards were lucky Grimm wasn't hired by the Steelers as their HC. The Cards were lucky the Steelers released him from his contract. Theywere lucky he didn't get approched by Dallas.

There are a number of factors that were simply out of the Cardinals control. The Cards lucked out to be able to execute their plan. How's that?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
i fully expect the Cards to make an announcement in 2 weeks naming Ron Rivera as DC.Otherwise this off season has been a total bust :D .

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I would rather be lucky then good any day.

The Cards talked a big game every year, so sue me for not believing them for a 50th straight year. But I will say they finally put their money where their mouth is and can a should shut up many people. Lets see if they see the whole picture now by utilizing their cap to its fullist. I wont use the C word for a full year.

Also Grimm will not be making 2 Mill. Thats almost what Whis is making and more then our coordinators. Grimm wasnt even making 1 Mill in Pitt, there is no way he will make 2 now.

Kudos to the FO, and lets not stop here.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Great Move!
After last season, I was determined not to start drinking the koolaid too soon again in 2007. After HC Wiz and Grimm, I can smell the kooliad cooking.

bigredjane

& amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy
Reaction score
When I heard this morning-

That Grimm had asked to be let go from the Steelers after the head coach was named, I thought, Wouldn't it great if Whiz would ask him to join us? I just knew it was going to happen, but so soon---All I can say is Wow!!:thewave: :band:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I am tired of hearing the same old refrain no matter what the Cardinals do. Anyone who is still grousing about them being cheap after what has transpired this year is so far off base, it's ridiculous.

Can we just stop bashing for bashings sake and appreciate what the Bidwills are doing to try and get this team to win.

Appreciate the Bidwills?!?! :shock:

Should the fans like me who have had season tickets appreciate what has happened to this franchise year after year? However, you can easily do a little math to see that if there is 32 teams in the NFL no 1 or 2 coaches are going to skew the number that much.

Bottom line is the average is around 3 million. The reports after the firing of DG was that the Cards were not willing to spend big money again on a coach. That to me says CHEAP. Are you trying to tell me with this teams history of what they have paid previous coaches, having some of the lowest paid assistants and hiring the WHIZ for less then average doesn't say CHEAP??????

I have given the Cards credit for making runs a free agents. I gave the Card credit for hiring a big name coach in Green. But my problem with the Cards is that for every example of them spending money there is an example of them doing things like saving CAP space, having the lowest paid assistants in the NFL under Green.

The Cards have gotten better in the spending category in terms of when they first got here. Again I give them credit there. However, as sick of you are of hearing people bash the Cards, I am sick of people saying "they have changed" when the jury is still out big time on that.

So do I bash the Cards? Yes I do. I also give them credit where credit is do. But it's hard to ask fans to appreciate the Bidwills and give them the benefit of the doubt when clearly history says they don't deserve it.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing cartwheels too. Hopefully, Grimm stays for longer than one year. If so, we got a great deal. But, I have mixed feeling if he leaves after a year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm doing cartwheels too. Hopefully, Grimm stays for longer than one year. If so, we got a great deal. But, I have mixed feeling if he leaves after a year.

I agree. If Grimm is still a hot name and the team does well next year, I could see him leaving. That would bite.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
I'm a skeptic.
But a hopeful one.
I remember being fired up w/ the Greeen hiring, then becomong disgusted at the lack of precision and discipline the team showed under his rule.
We'll see what happens on opening day of the 2007 regular season...

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steel what you seem to be doing is hunting for the next reason to say the Bidwill's are cheap.

Everytime they knock down one of your reason, you head off and look for the next one and I do mean look for.

Since MD & RG took over they have shown an increasing trend of getting out of the mode MB's father used to operate in. This offseason [thus far] is showing that they are really behaving like one of the better run franchises but some don't want to admit that.

First off, Wiz denies that the Cardinals are being cheap with ACs, this latest event suggests he is telling the truth. He also said that it wasn't true that they were cheap under DG. I might add that even if the salaries were in the lower percentile under DG, this does not mean they were cheap, for all we know those were the guys DG wanted.

Wiz got a contract he is happy with or he wouldn't have signed up, how is that cheap ? Should they pull a BB Jnr and pay him 3x what he would accept ? Both sides got a deal they like, where is the cheap in that ?

As for your cap space bash that is also bogus, they spent it all every year. Now you could argue that it wasn't spent in the best way but it wasn't cheap as they spent it all.

Given that I just knocked down all those 'cheap' shots how can you still say they are cheap ?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
More money doesn't necessarily buy better results. See the Redskins and Dolphins. And less money doesn't necessarily buy lousy results. See the Chicago Bears. By most reports, Lovie Smith is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.

That's not to say the Cardinals haven't been too frugal in the past. It's just to say, it's always smart to spend wisely.

Just saw it on ESPN...Lovie Smith is the LOWEST paid HC in the NFL at 1.3-1.5 million. Jerry Jones is all over him for the Dallas job.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Cards Add Grimm To Staff
Kate Brandt
azcardinals.com

Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt’s pursuit to assemble a championship staff of assistants paid huge dividends on Tuesday as the Cardinals announced the hiring of Russ Grimm as assistant head coach/offensive line.

Grimm was one of the eight finalists to interview for the Cards head coaching vacancy following the 2006 season, in addition to being considered as a replacement for former Steeler’s head coach Bill Cowher.

However, the Steelers announced Monday that Mike Tomlin (former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator) had signed a four-year contract to be Pittsburgh’s new head coach.

“I didn’t know if the decision was going to come down here in Pittsburgh Saturday, Sunday, or Monday and it could have possibly waited depending on the playoff situation, but you know the decision was made by the Rooney family,” said Grimm in a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon. “It is a great organization, I respect the decision, and it is time to move on. I’m thrilled with the opportunity to be in Arizona.”

Grimm and Whisenhunt have worked closely together during the past six seasons with the Steelers organization.

“Obviously I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous,” stated Whisenhunt.

Grimm becomes the fifth assistant to be hired under Whisenhunt and joins the Cardinals with 14 years of NFL coaching experience.

“I actually feel fortunate to come back with Coach Whisenhunt,” admitted Grimm. “We’ve known each other for a long time and it is one of those things where I know what his goal is and I know he wants to win. I know the destination, the goal we are shooting for, and like I said, I don’t mind riding shotgun.”

Although Grimm admits he doesn’t know much about the players he will be coaching in Arizona, he is thrilled for the opportunity.

“There is a lot of talent on the football team,” commented Grimm. “I’m excited about it. I know Coach Whisenhunt is excited about it, I think the city should get excited about it , and we’re going to try to put something together out there and I feel fortunate to be a piece of it.”

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Cards Add Grimm To Staff
Kate Brandt
azcardinals.com

Cardinals Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt’s pursuit to assemble a championship staff of assistants paid huge dividends on Tuesday as the Cardinals announced the hiring of Russ Grimm as assistant head coach/offensive line.

Grimm was one of the eight finalists to interview for the Cards head coaching vacancy following the 2006 season, in addition to being considered as a replacement for former Steeler’s head coach Bill Cowher.

However, the Steelers announced Monday that Mike Tomlin (former Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator) had signed a four-year contract to be Pittsburgh’s new head coach.

“I didn’t know if the decision was going to come down here in Pittsburgh Saturday, Sunday, or Monday and it could have possibly waited depending on the playoff situation, but you know the decision was made by the Rooney family,” said Grimm in a telephone interview Tuesday afternoon. “It is a great organization, I respect the decision, and it is time to move on. I’m thrilled with the opportunity to be in Arizona.”

Grimm and Whisenhunt have worked closely together during the past six seasons with the Steelers organization.

“Obviously I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous,” stated Whisenhunt.

Grimm becomes the fifth assistant to be hired under Whisenhunt and joins the Cardinals with 14 years of NFL coaching experience.

“I actually feel fortunate to come back with Coach Whisenhunt,” admitted Grimm. “We’ve known each other for a long time and it is one of those things where I know what his goal is and I know he wants to win. I know the destination, the goal we are shooting for, and like I said, I don’t mind riding shotgun.”

Although Grimm admits he doesn’t know much about the players he will be coaching in Arizona, he is thrilled for the opportunity.

“There is a lot of talent on the football team,” commented Grimm. “I’m excited about it. I know Coach Whisenhunt is excited about it, I think the city should get excited about it , and we’re going to try to put something together out there and I feel fortunate to be a piece of it.”

Awesome! Simply awesome! Will someone please pinch us???!!!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards Add Grimm To Staff
Kate Brandt

So again I am thrilled we hired Grimm.

That said, anybody else surprised to hear Grimm say he doesn't know much about our players since he was trying to be our head coach?

I don't expect him to know their wives names or something like that but it does surprise me that he didn't familiarize himself with them before interviewing, wonder if that's one of the reasons we preferred Whiz?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WOW! What a coup by the Cardinals.... that couldn't have worked out any beetter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson