Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps he can light a fire under Oliver Ross and make him a quality starter as he was with the Steelers.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many penalties did the Pittsburgh O-line have last season? Inquiring minds want to know. Where did they rank? Is this hiring all hype? or will it really amount to something?

You can't capsulize everything based on one year. The Steelers have always been about offensive line play, running and defense. It's a philosophy that has always come first with that organization and has been the basis for their coach/assistant hirings. If we can get that same philosophy in here by hiring those types of guys it can't hurt.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I agree 100%, if Grimm can't make Davis a consistent dominant OT then I will say nobody can. Davis shows flashes and when he is on he is the best OL on the team but he just hasn't put together a complete season yet.

I want him back because there is nobody out there as good or better to replace him but I'd sign him for the 1 year franchise tag and make him Grimms personal project.

Lets just hope that Big and the Bidwills haven't burnt their respective bridges. If you believe what the local media is saying, it seems like neither party wants anything to do with each other and Big will be walking. We shall see

seesred

Reaction score
Remember how the media bashed us for holding on to some of our coaches after Green was let go..Bash, you can never hire a head coach if he can't pick his own staff. Bash, even though the team says it will be the coaches choice we all know the Cheap Bidwills. BASH, Bash..Let's hear from then now how stupid they all are for not believing Graves and Micheal when they said over and over again that it will be up to the incoming head coach.

GBR

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I was not one of those bashers. I agreed that it made sense to retain whatever coaching talent we already had and let the new coach make the choice....

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Steeller offensive penalties

If NFL.com is correct, the Steelers were excellent at limiting offensive penalties. They show them second in offensive penalties, behind only Denver, with just 69 (versus 117 for the Cardinals who were next to last , only Minnesota was worse.)

In actual yardage, they were fifth behind Den, NYJ, KC, and NO. If that's accurate, they would appear to be well-coached, (or they pay off the officials.)

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is really good news. Grimm is one of the best OL coaches and just what we need. Terrific move:thumbup:

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
If NFL.com is correct, the Steelers were excellent at limiting offensive penalties. They show them second in offensive penalties, behind only Denver, with just 69 (versus 117 for the Cardinals who were next to last , only Minnesota was worse.)

In actual yardage, they were fifth behind Den, NYJ, KC, and NO. If that's accurate, they would appear to be well-coached, (or they pay off the officials.)

Well, I do remember the SB last year...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember how the media bashed us for holding on to some of our coaches after Green was let go..Bash, you can never hire a head coach if he can't pick his own staff. Bash, even though the team says it will be the coaches choice we all know the Cheap Bidwills. BASH, Bash..Let's hear from then now how stupid they all are for not believing Graves and Micheal when they said over and over again that it will be up to the incoming head coach.

GBR

The Cards are paying our current HC below the HC average. So I think it's safe to say the assistants are probably in the same boat. So the media will continue to bash the team for that. The fact that some of the assistants are going to be retained still means the Cards dictated some of that and doesn't absolve them for hiring on the cheap. Having said that, I still think the HC is a quality hire.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

GBR

Not only that, but with Grimm's salary, we are probably close to paying 3 - HC salaries. Green, Whisenhunt and Grimm. And on top of that, Whisenhunt still might replace Pendy if he can find someone better.

Methinks a little ketchup might be in order for some of the crow that should be served.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards are paying our current HC below the HC average. So I think it's safe to say the assistants are probably in the same boat. So the media will continue to bash the team for that. The fact that some of the assistants are going to be retained still means the Cards dictated some of that and doesn't absolve them for hiring on the cheap. Having said that, I still think the HC is a quality hire.

Do you have any proof of this or just pure speculation on your part?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
OMFG!!! Wow! What a major coup for this organization! I tip my hat to Whiz, Rod, and the entire FO for this hiring...WOW!!! I figured we'd have to make him an OC to get him.

Looking at it from a different angle, though, this move makes perfect sense for Grimm. He was considered for several HC vacancies but didn't quite make it. He comes here as the OL coach for an improved but still under-average OL. If he gives us a dominant run game, everybody will be queueing up to have him as a HC.

spanky1

Reaction score
Why not keep Steve Loney? He can understudy with Grimm until Grimm leaves for a HC'ing position....as soon as next year?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Why not keep Steve Loney? He can understudy with Grimm until Grimm leaves for a HC'ing position....as soon as next year?

Several teams do have two O-line coaches. I suspect the Cardinals will give Loney the option of leaving. I wonder if (when) the Rams do hire him, if the Cardinals are off the hook for his 2007 salary?

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
No, that's not my point. I think the Cards have had a GREAT offseason so far. I can only hope that this commitment to winning spills over into their FA efforts....

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm jacked!

Teams tend to take on the persona of their head coach. Units often take on the persona of their position coaches. Cards need to be mentally and physically tougher.

Grimm's arrival is the biggest move I can think of that can help make this happen.

Small downside concern - Loney's probable departure (and with it the installation of new offensive schemes and terminology) may tear down anything positive the offensive line developed since Bye Week, which will mean "back to square one." I sure hope not.