Grimm Hired by Cardinals as Asst HC/ OL Coach

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMFG!!! Wow! What a major coup for this organization! I tip my hat to Whiz, Rod, and the entire FO for this hiring...WOW!!! I figured we'd have to make him an OC to get him.

Do I hear the toasting of freshly caught crow ?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Grimm and Whis can have to OL play well starting in game one. Green and Loney took until the bye week. :)

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Steve Loney and Mike Wilson (may be old news on him) were let go, according to the Republic.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm jacked!

Teams tend to take on the persona of their head coach. Units often take on the persona of their position coaches. Cards need to be mentally and physically tougher.

Grimm's arrival is the biggest move I can think of that can help make this happen.

Small downside concern - Loney's probable departure (and with it the installation of new offensive schemes and terminology) may tear down anything positive the offensive line developed since Bye Week, which will mean "back to square one." I sure hope not.

I think the whole team is going to be in a learning mode on new schemes and terminology for both the offense and defense. I doubt if he will keep Denny's playbook.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
40 asks a valid question. Has anyone seen what the Cards are paying Whisenhunt? I haven't seen it released anywhere.

It was reported to be the same value as Green (4 yrs/ $10 million with a 5th year option). The same value that several of the new HCs received this offseason

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any proof of this or just pure speculation on your part?

Average NFL HC salary is 2.9 to 3 million. It was reported that the big W is getting paid 2.5 per season. Though that's not drastically below that is what is being reported. Nobody will know for sure unless you get a peak at the contract but usually these reports are pretty accurate. Someone had a link to the coaches salary reports. At least that's how I looked it up. So if true he is being paid a below average salary.

Like I said before, below average or not, I think its a good choice.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very pleased with this. Grimm is maybe the only coach I'd rather see than Loney.

Now, if we can Pendergast, I might even start to get excited.

Still have a LONG way to go though.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's not my point. I think the Cards have had a GREAT offseason so far. I can only hope that this commitment to winning spills over into their FA efforts....

I'm very interested to hear about what they plan to do with our current free agents and personnel. I know they will want the new staff to break down our guys on film first. So, I'm guessing it'll be at least mid-February before we get any analysis on guys like Davis and others.

The free agent market is just going to be tough. Hopefully, Whis is a good recruiter too.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
40 asks a valid question. Has anyone seen what the Cards are paying Whisenhunt? I haven't seen it released anywhere.

I haven't seen his slary released or even rumored anywhere..but the Cards always pay their coaches cheap so Whisenhunt must be shopping at blue light specials. :sarcasm:

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone really complain about this move? Awesome!

Now let's get someone other than "10 yard cushion" Pendergast on the other side of the ball and we'll really be in business.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I wonder if this means that Ross is moved to RT or if Ross was let go in the first place on Grimm's recommendations. If Ross is moved to RT, do they move the "athletic" :)roll:) Wells to the bench or inside in spite of good play from Brown and Lutui?

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Average NFL HC salary is 2.9 to 3 million. It was reported that the big W is getting paid 2.5 per season. Though that's not drastically below that is what is being reported. Nobody will know for sure unless you get a peak at the contract but usually these reports are pretty accurate. Someone had a link to the coaches salary reports. At least that's how I looked it up.

More money doesn't necessarily buy better results. See the Redskins and Dolphins. And less money doesn't necessarily buy lousy results. See the Chicago Bears. By most reports, Lovie Smith is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.

That's not to say the Cardinals haven't been too frugal in the past. It's just to say, it's always smart to spend wisely.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is also an excellent move for Grimm. If he can turn around the OL and help KW get the Cards into the playoffs, he will be a very hot HC candidate.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Can anyone really complain about this move? Awesome!

Now let's get someone other than "10 yard cushion" Pendergast on the other side of the ball and we'll really be in business.

When did CP move to his version of press coverage? He usually has his DBs 20 yards away....

:D

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen his slary released or even rumored anywhere..but the Cards always pay their coaches cheap so Whisenhunt must be shopping at blue light specials. :sarcasm:

Well why wouldn't his salary be below average? He's an inexperienced 1st-time coach.

I'd be willing to bet anyone a buck that he will be below the $3mil average, but I don't think it's because we're "cheap". Guys with absolutely no proven track record as head coaches don't exactly command top dollar. Look at what Lovie Smith makes. Assistants who "move up" to HC are almost always inexpensive compared to a proven College or NFL head coach.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More money doesn't necessarily buy better results. See the Redskins and Dolphins. And less money doesn't necessarily buy lousy results. See the Chicago Bears. By most reports, Lovie Smith is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.

That's not to say the Cardinals haven't been too frugal in the past. It's just to say, it's always smart to spend wisely.

I totally agree with you in terms of other teams. However, the Cards don't have a history of spending less money to be "smart". They do have a history of spending less to be cheap.

Having said that, I think Whiz is a great hire and that the Cards lucked out by getting a guy of his calibur for the price they did. That had more to do with Whiz wanting a HC gig then the Cards though. You can usually get an assistant to take less for the opportunity. The Cards knew this.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
All I can say is wow....this is shaping up to be the best staff the Cardinals have ever had.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Well why wouldn't his salary be below average? He's an inexperienced 1st-time coach.

I'd be willing to bet anyone a buck that he will be below the $3mil average, but I don't think it's because we're "cheap". Guys with absolutely no proven track record as head coaches don't exactly command top dollar. Look at what Lovie Smith makes. Assistants who "move up" to HC are almost always inexpensive compared to a proven College or NFL head coach.

Lovie Smith is an example of a team being cheap with their head coach, they wouldn't even discuss a contract extension with him during the season even though he was the lowest paid coach in the NFL and his team was leading the NFC in wins.

Of course the Cards have never been in that situation with a low paid coach coaching beyond his salary. Its normally more like what we got with Green, overpaying a coach who isn't earning a dime.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovie Smith is an example of a team being cheap with their head coach, they wouldn't even discuss a contract extension with him during the season even though he was the lowest paid coach in the NFL and his team was leading the NFC in wins.

Of course the Cards have never been in that situation with a low paid coach coaching beyond his salary. Its normally more like what we got with Green, overpaying a coach who isn't earning a dime.
I think I heard that Lovie stopped discussions with the Bears until after the season. Could be wrong.