Good indicator to get in and out of the market?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

This took forever to find.

I ran across it again through ridiculous searching for a friend and wanted to post it here where others can take from it what you want, not investment advice but IMO if you're looking for a great general indicator this one is not bad again in my opinion.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
This was fascinating...

Where would someone find this actual program? As it is updated throughout time?

<Absolute Novice Here>

OP
OP
conraddobler

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
This was fascinating...

Where would someone find this actual program? As it is updated throughout time?

<Absolute Novice Here>

Actually google finance you can do it on your own with their charts.

It's a 20 week and 50 week simple moving average and then you need an index, like the Dow or the S&P 500, I'd suggest the S&P 500, it's broader.

You need to check it weekly to save yourself in case the indicator goes off.

Like after every Friday close.

Word of caution, you'll need to learn a fair amount of charting basics to make sure you're using the 20 WEEK and 50 WEEK moving averages for sure, some free charts can be confusing.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In long time frames of months, if you aren't technical and can't do charts, I have been having good luck with getting in and out of the market with looking at the general population of people investing. When the market is "hot" and you hear neighbors, shoppers in stores, random strangers saying they are getting in the market and making money because it just keeps going up, I get out! When people are jumping out of buildings, or a year or two ago pulling all their money out of the market because their 401Ks are now 201ks, I jump in. When no one is buying and stocks are cheap, I buy. When stocks are expensive and everyone is buying, I cash in.