Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

This. Exactly this. 75% unwatchable human nonsense that didn't even rise to the level of snooze-worthy. Ruined the movie. This should have been a monster fighting movie with a sprinkle of human story lines; it was instead C-movie bad movie with a sprinkle of monster fighting.

I was expecting a monster fighting movie, not a movie I could have slept through 3/4 of it and been more entertained.

Yep. This is DC-level bad. This is like Batman v Superman, where hardly any of the movie was Batman v Superman.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Lol. How do you have a movie where two gargantuan creatures battle each nonstop? Zero dialogue. Limited novel “moves.” And it makes sense that the fights couldn’t go on forever.

For all intents and purposes Godzilla was the superior combatant and that proved out with Godzilla essentially winning twice (kong was dead had the humans not dropped the depth charges).

I thought it was the right ratio of monster battle to humans. The problem was the human portions of the movie just sucked.

cardncubfan likes this.
  3. Stout

Stout Hold onto the ball, Murray!

You obviously don't do 100% monster fights--you're being purposefully obtuse there--but you just as obviously don't give the stupid human plot THAT much focus. And you obviously try to get writers that don't suck with human plots that draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag on for no reason.

More focus on the, you know, supposed plot, less sucky human stuff, and you have a very fun popcorn monster fight. What we got was a snooze-worthy human-based movie with some monster fights thrown in. Glad I didn't waste money on it, but I was happy to have a friend over to watch it and waste an evening.

4. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

different strokes for different folks. I thought they sidelined the humans a hell of a lot more in this movie than the previous ones and didn’t think they focused all that much on them.

5. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

The humans were more sidelined than the previous movie but still not enough. Millie Bobby Brown's entire roll and side junk should have been cut. The writing for Eiza González was a joke too the way they made her a cartoon villain. They should have made her wear a fake mustache to twirl.

The monster fighting was fun but I have the same complaint with this on as I did the last Godzilla movies. Too many closeups. When they've fighting I want the camera zoomed out more so that I can see them slugging it out.

Stout likes this.
  6. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

This pretty much nails it. Why shouldn't we have a good human element to go with the monster ones? Why is that so difficult to pull off, especially with casts that have the pedigree they do. Think about it -- Bryan Cranston, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobbie Brown, Kyle Chandler, Ken Watanabe, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. How can you NOT have at least a vaguely interesting plot line with those actors?

At least Skull Island confined things to a single location and made it much more tight and intimate. Globetrotting kids for no reason at all does nothing except take up valuable screen time you could use for monsters. It's not like there weren't more monsters to fit in -- What happened to the monsters that bowed to Godzilla at the end of King of Monsters?

Stout likes this.
  7. Finito

Finito Registered

they all go back where they came from they don’t just hang out and chill

8. Chaplin

Who said anything about "hanging out and chill"? I know you're trying to be snarky, but the reason for Godzilla to be in the world is just as good a reason for any of the other ones.

9. Finito

Finito Registered

I’m not being snarky stop being so damn sensitive dude.

you know it’s said people read text they way they feel. If someone is angry they’ll assume the person on the other end is angry.

10. Chaplin

You consistently have been talking down to me like I'm a ten year old. You should stop and just answer the question or ignore it.

11. Finito

Finito Registered

I don’t think I talk to you any different or I don’t think I said anything out of line on this thread.

those sound like your personal issues and how you see yourself in this world.

12. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I'm surprised people even have interest in godzilla movies anymore personally

Even as a kid the concept sounded amazing but then I had to sit through a 90 minute terrible movie to watch ten minutes of monster fighting and I instantly had no infatuation iwth godzilla anymore.

Stout likes this.
  13. Chaplin

Ok

Finito likes this.
  14. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Well...maybe I will be a little snarky here, but I think the answer to what happened to all the other monsters is ridiculously obvious if you even remotely paid attention and remotely did some analysis

Where was Kong at the beginning of the movie? OH YES....he was in containment! Maybe, just maybe, if Kong is in a containment built by Monarch, maybe the other monsters are as well.

I find the critic-fanboyism of the internet annoying at times. It's almost like people hunt for plot holes, but they end up coming up with "plot holes" that are really there, or the movie freaking answered that question in a roundabout way.

Finito likes this.
  15. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Who’d have thought Godzilla v. Kong would engender so many arguments... that aren’t about who would win in a battle.

cardncubfan and Finito like this.