Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well...maybe I will be a little snarky here, but I think the answer to what happened to all the other monsters is ridiculously obvious if you even remotely paid attention and remotely did some analysis

Where was Kong at the beginning of the movie? OH YES....he was in containment! Maybe, just maybe, if Kong is in a containment built by Monarch, maybe the other monsters are as well.

I find the critic-fanboyism of the internet annoying at times. It's almost like people hunt for plot holes, but they end up coming up with "plot holes" that are really there, or the movie freaking answered that question in a roundabout way.
Godzilla wasn’t. There is really no basis in thinking the other monsters would be confined somewhere.

These movies have plot holes you can fly experimental aircraft through, there’s nothing wrong with pointing it out. You don’t have to respond, after all.

And maybe you don’t realize it, but being critical AND giving praise are both part of being a “critic”.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Godzilla wasn’t. There is really no basis in thinking the other monsters would be confined somewhere.

These movies have plot holes you can fly experimental aircraft through, there’s nothing wrong with pointing it out. You don’t have to respond, after all.

And maybe you don’t realize it, but being critical AND giving praise are both part of being a “critic”.

If you don’t want people to respond just stop posting

a movie about a giant radioactive lizard fighting a giant gorilla has plot holes? Whaaaaaaat

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you don’t want people to respond just stop posting

a movie about a giant radioactive lizard fighting a giant gorilla has plot holes? Whaaaaaaat
And? My god grow up. So you are admitting. That the movie has plot holes and then attack me for talking about them? Not sure you understand how this message board works.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And? My god grow up. So you are admitting. That the movie has plot holes and then attack me for talking about them? Not sure you understand how this message board works.

I never said it didn’t have plot holes, but I also know what I’m watching. It’s a summer popcorn movie.

dude nobody is attacking you. Is this how you see yourself? Just a victim all the time? I’m legit curious

that was the second time on this thread you told someone not to respond to you. I don’t think YOU know how a message board works.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never said it didn’t have plot holes, but I also know what I’m watching. It’s a summer popcorn movie.

dude nobody is attacking you. Is this how you see yourself? Just a victim all the time? I’m legit curious

that was the second time on this thread you told someone not to respond to you. I don’t think YOU know how a message board works.
This whole post is ridiculous. You started this whole conversation with your condescension and now you feign ignorance.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, IMO, when it comes to kaiju, Pacific Rim kicks this movie’s ass.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Godzilla is usually on screen for roughly 10 minutes of his films runtime, on average. He was only in his last 2 films for 22 minutes combined, 10 in Godzilla and 12 in King of the Monsters. Kong had 14 minutes of screen time in Skull Island. They weren't going to brawl for half the runtime of this film. In 3 films they total 36 minutes of screen time. Anyone with expectations of more monster fighting was hoping for something that's never been delivered.

Editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/godzilla-vs-kong-by-the-numbers/

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Godzilla is usually on screen for roughly 10 minutes of his films runtime, on average. He was only in his last 2 films for 22 minutes combined, 10 in Godzilla and 12 in King of the Monsters. Kong had 14 minutes of screen time in Skull Island. They weren't going to brawl for half the runtime of this film. In 3 films they total 36 minutes of screen time. Anyone with expectations of more monster fighting was hoping for something that's never been delivered.

Editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/godzilla-vs-kong-by-the-numbers/
So?

If the humans were played better and more interesting, it wouldn't have been a problem. As it is, because the humans were so bad, it would have been welcome to have more monster fighting. I mean, isn't that the reason you watch these films for? Comparing a bad movie to other bad movies of its kind doesn't really make the latest bad movie much better.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So?

If the humans were played better and more interesting, it wouldn't have been a problem. As it is, because the humans were so bad, it would have been welcome to have more monster fighting. I mean, isn't that the reason you watch these films for? Comparing a bad movie to other bad movies of its kind doesn't really make the latest bad movie much better.

If you thought the last 2 Godzilla films and the last King Kong were all bad then you never should have watched this because those were building to this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you thought the last 2 Godzilla films and the last King Kong were all bad then you never should have watched this because those were building to this.

I mean yeah. Kinda should of known what your getting in to.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We were entertained - but the MBB parts felt like contractual obligations more than plot devices.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed King of Monsters much more than this one.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed King of Monsters much more than this one.

man... I thought that movie was unwatchable trash. Might be because I’m more of a Kong guy than Godzilla. Liked Skull Island MUCH more than either Godzilla movie in this “monsterverse”.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
man... I thought that movie was unwatchable trash. Might be because I’m more of a Kong guy than Godzilla. Liked Skull Island MUCH more than either Godzilla movie in this “monsterverse”.
I can understand that. I like Kong too, but I have a soft spot for Godzilla, the giant monster that actually appears to be more than just a killing machine. Kong has personality, but I think the development of Godzilla is more interesting. But that's just a preference.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

+1 Skull Island has been my favorite out of them with King of the Monsters my least favorite. Mainly because of how much family drama they put into it and how murky they made all the monster fights. None of them were clear, they were all in rain or snow at night. At least for GvsK they cleaned that up and had them in good weather.

I'm disappointed with the audio quality in the stream on this one. Can't wait for the UHD on it. It should fix most of the issues due to how badly they compressed the audio. There was no dynamic range in it.

It won't be fixed for UHD but I think they really blew it by not utilizing bass correctly with the deaf girl. When she was stopping to feel things we should have felt them too. How cool would it have been to have had Kong's heart beat pulsing and feel it getting slower and weaker? Instead we get a non-stop rumble. It was very one note in it. @cheesebeef if you ever do an action movie/TV show hit me up as a bass advisor ;)

Reaction score
I'm surprised people even have interest in godzilla movies anymore personally

Even as a kid the concept sounded amazing but then I had to sit through a 90 minute terrible movie to watch ten minutes of monster fighting and I instantly had no infatuation iwth godzilla anymore.

You are from a different generation. I believe us 50+ year olds that watched all of the Godzilla movies in our youth have more of a sentimental connection to them. Similar to the original Star Wars movies, Jaws, etc. The original Godzilla/King Kong movies were corny but that's what also endeared people to them. Monster movies that weren't believable but were just dumb fun. To hear some people they were expecting Gone With The Wind & got Gigli. I for one enjoyed the movie. It brought back a lot of the nostalgia from my youth.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saturday afternoon monster movies, I believe on channel 5?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still a bit ticked about this. Last weekend was free weekend on Xfinity including free HBO Max so I assumed I could watch this for free. Found out that they exempted a bunch of stuff so no, you can't watch this for free. Amazon Prime offered me half off first month and so I signed up, downloaded the app on Thur. We decided to watch the movie Saturday. I had to do last minute logging in stuff the app is supposed to take your Amazon account but wouldn't so I had to create a HBO Max one and then get it linked.

So Saturday we sit down to watch it, search for it, odd not showing up. More searching nothing. I eventually discovered via Google that April 30th, Friday, was the last day on HBO Max :madarms:

Note the email I sent to complain about this was answered with a yes we were advertising that the movie would end on HBO Max as of end of April. hello I didn't HAVE HBO MAX then, I had the app, I didn't have the login yet. Technically my fault I didn't finish the process on Thur or Friday but the multiple emails they sent me in the last 2 weeks about watching HBO Max included that movie everytime and not one of them said hey you better watch this soon or it's gone.

So I can't get my money back so I will get one month and then cancel.

it was going to be my test case we have a 4K good size tv but there's so little 4K programming we rarely get to use it. This one says it will play at the highest quality possible based on your bandwidth, which should be 4K, so really annoyed I can't watch it now.

I know it's not the greatest movie ever I just thought it was a good one to test the 4K, plus I wanted to see it

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Still a bit ticked about this. Last weekend was free weekend on Xfinity including free HBO Max so I assumed I could watch this for free. Found out that they exempted a bunch of stuff so no, you can't watch this for free. Amazon Prime offered me half off first month and so I signed up, downloaded the app on Thur. We decided to watch the movie Saturday. I had to do last minute logging in stuff the app is supposed to take your Amazon account but wouldn't so I had to create a HBO Max one and then get it linked.

So Saturday we sit down to watch it, search for it, odd not showing up. More searching nothing. I eventually discovered via Google that April 30th, Friday, was the last day on HBO Max :madarms:

Note the email I sent to complain about this was answered with a yes we were advertising that the movie would end on HBO Max as of end of April. hello I didn't HAVE HBO MAX then, I had the app, I didn't have the login yet. Technically my fault I didn't finish the process on Thur or Friday but the multiple emails they sent me in the last 2 weeks about watching HBO Max included that movie everytime and not one of them said hey you better watch this soon or it's gone.

So I can't get my money back so I will get one month and then cancel.

it was going to be my test case we have a 4K good size tv but there's so little 4K programming we rarely get to use it. This one says it will play at the highest quality possible based on your bandwidth, which should be 4K, so really annoyed I can't watch it now.

I know it's not the greatest movie ever I just thought it was a good one to test the 4K, plus I wanted to see it

Honestly, I wish I waited for it to come to disc over the stream. The audio quality was horrible and killed it for me. I sort of wish what happened to you had happened to me. ;)

If you really want to flex your bandwidth and 4k, try Apple TV+. It's available for a bunch of different streaming devices/TVs now. They have a free year if you've bought any Apple hardware and I think a 7 day trial otherwise. They give the best 4k streaming of any of the services. The show See was streaming at almost BluRay data rates if your connection is fast enough. Ted Lasso, Mythic Quest, and For All Mankind are my top shows on it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
We were entertained - but the MBB parts felt like contractual obligations more than plot devices.
Yeah, I'm not sure why every line out of Bernie's mouth had to be an attempt at a joke. A lot of it was funny, but there were a lot of misses too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose