Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Mecha not Mega

Kong and Godzilla have always been humanized in films. This isn’t new at all
But this took it to another level with the thrown and the axe. Made them more of some kind of ancient races verses incredible beasts. This was totally new imo. And I’ve watched every Godzilla and King Kong movie ever made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this took it to another level with the thrown and the axe. Made them more of some kind of ancient races verses incredible beasts. This was totally new imo. And I’ve watched every Godzilla and King Kong movie ever made.

Shaddup old man!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Shaddup old man!
Did you really have no problem with the writing and the fact it probably had 5 characters too many? And were you satisfied with the amount of fighting and their portrayal of Godzilla?

Frankly based on history I’m surprised you like it as much as you do.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you really have no problem with the writing and the fact it probably had 5 characters too many? And were you satisfied with the amount of fighting and their portrayal of Godzilla?

I mean is anyone really going to Godzilla vs Kong for the dialogue

what was wrong with how they portrayed Godzilla

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

but that’s what they have always been. Godzilla and Mothra have always been portrayed as defenders of the earth and a part of long lines of each species. Of course this changes and depends on who’s making the Godzilla movie at the time. I mean there’s a 100 of them with all different timelines. But in legendary’s case this is the story and in Godzilla 14 I think they even said the Mutos killed the rest of his kind

Kong has also always been portrayed as the last of his kind. As far as the Thrown I mean the guys name is King Kong after all.

none of these have ever been one offs they have always been the latest in a long line. If you’ve seen every Godzilla and Kong how did you miss this?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was supremely entertained. The characters seemed like they were all consciously written to be ridiculous, nothing was to be taken seriously and it was just pure eye popping candy on screen. One of the things I hated about the other two Godzilla movies were their look. So freaking drab. I also loathed their focus on human characters I could not give a frack about. I thought this one did a much better job of either making those characters ludicrous or shrinking their roles.

I also had a lot of fun with the ridiculousness of the inner world or whatever the hell they called it. The look, the axe, the thrown. All appropriately ridiculous for the tone they were going for. I thought this movie knew exactly what it was and just leaned all the way in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

what was your issue with their portrayal of Godzilla?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

He was literally a villain through most of the movie. This wasn’t Godzilla vs. Kong, this was King Kong with a little Godzilla thrown in.

I disagree vehemently with Cheese though. The human characters still had way too much screen time on this. The only moderately interesting character was the little deaf girl, but she was still a trope. The lone good thing about the script was that they at least made her unique.

The villains and heroes were terrible, and Alexander Skarsgard was basically Tom Hiddleston. And again Eleven and her group was by far the three most entertaining actors in the whole movie but they did nothing within the plot. There was absolutely no reason to do anything they do in the entire film. And it didn’t matter except for the previously mentioned spilling water on the console thing, which is supreme stupidity and lessens the impact of the results of said spill.

Did I come into it expecting Citizen Kane? No of course not. But I was hoping for something better than what we got. There was a lot of potential, but like all the recent movies of this type, the human stuff was abysmal. And it didn’t have to be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
but that’s what they have always been. Godzilla and Mothra have always been portrayed as defenders of the earth and a part of long lines of each species. Of course this changes and depends on who’s making the Godzilla movie at the time. I mean there’s a 100 of them with all different timelines. But in legendary’s case this is the story and in Godzilla 14 I think they even said the Mutos killed the rest of his kind

Kong has also always been portrayed as the last of his kind. As far as the Thrown I mean the guys name is King Kong after all.

none of these have ever been one offs they have always been the latest in a long line. If you’ve seen every Godzilla and Kong how did you miss this?
But as defenders it was always kind of left to being instinctive of great creatures not they had some plan and thought like humans. Sorry we’ll just have to disagree on this one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I expected more monster fighting. 75% human nonsense vs 25% monster fighting does not a good Godzilla vs. Kong movie make. The final battle had barely any buildup and the human villains were absolutely terrible.

There was a good 15 minutes towards the end when I though I was watching the end of Man of Steel again. And the lead was supposed to be a disgraced professor, not a calm and collected action hero who just happens to be able to pilot extremely experimental aircraft.

This. Exactly this. 75% unwatchable human nonsense that didn't even rise to the level of snooze-worthy. Ruined the movie. This should have been a monster fighting movie with a sprinkle of human story lines; it was instead C-movie bad movie with a sprinkle of monster fighting.

For all those who didn’t like it or were disappointed... what were you expecting?

it’s a smash at the box office right now compared to any other movie they’ve tried to drop in the theaters in the last year... which is GREAT. I truly fear the death of the movie going experience but maybe the pandemic and taking away the theater experience will be the thing that draws people back in droves... at least for a while.

I was expecting a monster fighting movie, not a movie I could have slept through 3/4 of it and been more entertained.

I expected more monster fighting. 75% human nonsense vs 25% monster fighting does not a good Godzilla vs. Kong movie make. The final battle had barely any buildup and the human villains were absolutely terrible.

There was a good 15 minutes towards the end when I though I was watching the end of Man of Steel again. And the lead was supposed to be a disgraced professor, not a calm and collected action hero who just happens to be able to pilot extremely experimental aircraft.

Yep. This is DC-level bad. This is like Batman v Superman, where hardly any of the movie was Batman v Superman.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This. Exactly this. 75% unwatchable human nonsense that didn't even rise to the level of snooze-worthy. Ruined the movie. This should have been a monster fighting movie with a sprinkle of human story lines; it was instead C-movie bad movie with a sprinkle of monster fighting.

I was expecting a monster fighting movie, not a movie I could have slept through 3/4 of it and been more entertained.

Yep. This is DC-level bad. This is like Batman v Superman, where hardly any of the movie was Batman v Superman.
Lol. How do you have a movie where two gargantuan creatures battle each nonstop? Zero dialogue. Limited novel “moves.” And it makes sense that the fights couldn’t go on forever.

For all intents and purposes Godzilla was the superior combatant and that proved out with Godzilla essentially winning twice (kong was dead had the humans not dropped the depth charges).

I thought it was the right ratio of monster battle to humans. The problem was the human portions of the movie just sucked.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Lol. How do you have a movie where two gargantuan creatures battle each nonstop? Zero dialogue. Limited novel “moves.” And it makes sense that the fights couldn’t go on forever.

For all intents and purposes Godzilla was the superior combatant and that proved out with Godzilla essentially winning twice (kong was dead had the humans not dropped the depth charges).

I thought it was the right ratio of monster battle to humans. The problem was the human portions of the movie just sucked.

You obviously don't do 100% monster fights--you're being purposefully obtuse there--but you just as obviously don't give the stupid human plot THAT much focus. And you obviously try to get writers that don't suck with human plots that draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag on for no reason.

More focus on the, you know, supposed plot, less sucky human stuff, and you have a very fun popcorn monster fight. What we got was a snooze-worthy human-based movie with some monster fights thrown in. Glad I didn't waste money on it, but I was happy to have a friend over to watch it and waste an evening.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously don't do 100% monster fights--you're being purposefully obtuse there--but you just as obviously don't give the stupid human plot THAT much focus. And you obviously try to get writers that don't suck with human plots that draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag on for no reason.

More focus on the, you know, supposed plot, less sucky human stuff, and you have a very fun popcorn monster fight. What we got was a snooze-worthy human-based movie with some monster fights thrown in. Glad I didn't waste money on it, but I was happy to have a friend over to watch it and waste an evening.

different strokes for different folks. I thought they sidelined the humans a hell of a lot more in this movie than the previous ones and didn’t think they focused all that much on them.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
different strokes for different folks. I thought they sidelined the humans a hell of a lot more in this movie than the previous ones and didn’t think they focused all that much on them.

The humans were more sidelined than the previous movie but still not enough. Millie Bobby Brown's entire roll and side junk should have been cut. The writing for Eiza González was a joke too the way they made her a cartoon villain. They should have made her wear a fake mustache to twirl.

The monster fighting was fun but I have the same complaint with this on as I did the last Godzilla movies. Too many closeups. When they've fighting I want the camera zoomed out more so that I can see them slugging it out.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The humans were more sidelined than the previous movie but still not enough. Millie Bobby Brown's entire roll and side junk should have been cut. The writing for Eiza González was a joke too the way they made her a cartoon villain. They should have made her wear a fake mustache to twirl.

The monster fighting was fun but I have the same complaint with this on as I did the last Godzilla movies. Too many closeups. When they've fighting I want the camera zoomed out more so that I can see them slugging it out.
This pretty much nails it. Why shouldn't we have a good human element to go with the monster ones? Why is that so difficult to pull off, especially with casts that have the pedigree they do. Think about it -- Bryan Cranston, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobbie Brown, Kyle Chandler, Ken Watanabe, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. How can you NOT have at least a vaguely interesting plot line with those actors?

At least Skull Island confined things to a single location and made it much more tight and intimate. Globetrotting kids for no reason at all does nothing except take up valuable screen time you could use for monsters. It's not like there weren't more monsters to fit in -- What happened to the monsters that bowed to Godzilla at the end of King of Monsters?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This pretty much nails it. Why shouldn't we have a good human element to go with the monster ones? Why is that so difficult to pull off, especially with casts that have the pedigree they do. Think about it -- Bryan Cranston, Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobbie Brown, Kyle Chandler, Ken Watanabe, Aaron Taylor-Johnson. How can you NOT have at least a vaguely interesting plot line with those actors?

At least Skull Island confined things to a single location and made it much more tight and intimate. Globetrotting kids for no reason at all does nothing except take up valuable screen time you could use for monsters. It's not like there weren't more monsters to fit in -- What happened to the monsters that bowed to Godzilla at the end of King of Monsters?

they all go back where they came from they don’t just hang out and chill

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
they all go back where they came from they don’t just hang out and chill
Who said anything about "hanging out and chill"? I know you're trying to be snarky, but the reason for Godzilla to be in the world is just as good a reason for any of the other ones.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who said anything about "hanging out and chill"? I know you're trying to be snarky, but the reason for Godzilla to be in the world is just as good a reason for any of the other ones.

I’m not being snarky stop being so damn sensitive dude.

you know it’s said people read text they way they feel. If someone is angry they’ll assume the person on the other end is angry.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I’m not being snarky stop being so damn sensitive dude.

you know it’s said people read text they way they feel. If someone is angry they’ll assume the person on the other end is angry.
You consistently have been talking down to me like I'm a ten year old. You should stop and just answer the question or ignore it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You consistently have been talking down to me like I'm a ten year old. You should stop and just answer the question or ignore it.

I don’t think I talk to you any different or I don’t think I said anything out of line on this thread.

those sound like your personal issues and how you see yourself in this world.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised people even have interest in godzilla movies anymore personally

Even as a kid the concept sounded amazing but then I had to sit through a 90 minute terrible movie to watch ten minutes of monster fighting and I instantly had no infatuation iwth godzilla anymore.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Well...maybe I will be a little snarky here, but I think the answer to what happened to all the other monsters is ridiculously obvious if you even remotely paid attention and remotely did some analysis

Where was Kong at the beginning of the movie? OH YES....he was in containment! Maybe, just maybe, if Kong is in a containment built by Monarch, maybe the other monsters are as well.

I find the critic-fanboyism of the internet annoying at times. It's almost like people hunt for plot holes, but they end up coming up with "plot holes" that are really there, or the movie freaking answered that question in a roundabout way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who’d have thought Godzilla v. Kong would engender so many arguments... that aren’t about who would win in a battle.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave