GM Keim doing a GREAT JOB so far in Free Agency!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
It's hilarious that people are looking at only additions and not the subtractions in evaluating the new league year.

-Adrian Wilson
-Kerry Rhodes
-Greg Toler
-William Gay
-Beanie Wells
-Stewart Bradley
-Kevin Kolb
-Paris Lenon
-Michael Adams

+Drew Stanton
+Rashard Mendenhall
+Courtney Jerroud Powers
+Joshua Cribbs
+Rashad Johnson
+Yeremiah Bell
+Alonzo... Jackson?

The only possible upgrades are more money in the team's coffers (which I really don't care about), and a mild upgrade at RB.

Not sure where the ALLCAPS and exclamation points are earned.

At half the total cost. That doesn't make sense?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
No matter what they do in FA this offseason the team will only be as good (or bad) as the draft class. Much like the Colts last year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Was told #Cardinals wouldn't let Jasper Brinkley leave without a contract. Now, he has one, per @CardsMarkD. Their new Mike LB

An excellent move from GM Keim.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Actually more like 1/3. Don't think the point was too upgrade. Was to fill 2/3 the player at 1/3 the price.

So... The point is not to build a quality football product to put on the field, it's to sign as many players as possible for as cheaply as possible, while adding to the 2014 salary cap.

So excited for the Keim administration.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
So... The point is not to build a quality football product to put on the field, it's to sign as many players as possible for as cheaply as possible, while adding to the 2014 salary cap.

So excited for the Keim administration.

Fill out the roster with solid vet for low money. Build through draft. Worked before and cam work again. You just need to get out of your head the Cardinals are trying to contend for 2013. This is about Arians and Kiem putting their stamp on things.

Bells on a one year deal. Stanton's getting back up money. 1 yr 2.5 for Mendenhill. Because you don't like the names (and you didn't like the ones last year either) doesn't mean Kiem and Arians don't have a plan.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fill out the roster with solid vet for low money. Build through draft. Worked before and cam work again. You just need to get out of your head the Cardinals are trying to contend for 2013. This is about Arians and Kiem putting their stamp on things.

Bells on a one year deal. Stanton's getting back up money. 1 yr 2.5 for Mendenhill. Because you don't like the names (and you didn't like the ones last year either) doesn't mean Kiem and Arians don't have a plan.

Agreed. The way I see is that we are NOT going to become contenders through free agency. We need bodies right now and short term, painless contracts out of free agency. That is something they (Keim and Co.) have accomplished.

Build through the draft and take a long term approach to this team, not bandaid, high paid players. The only move I find questionable is the Kerry Rhodes move, but Bell was signed for peanuts and this gives a bit of flexibility moving forward.

In my mind I say draft Oline, QB, and S high this year and possibly another athlete for CB. Draft a later round RB (Spencer Ware) to augment the RB corps.

I'm kind of on the fence on QB. I think we have to draft a QB high this year, so if Geno is there, he's clearly the best of the bunch. But I'm intrigued by EJ Manuel, but I think some team may snag him up near the end of round one or before we pick in the second. So I'm leaning more towards drafting Geno if available and then a lineman or safety in round two.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I would understand this better if Wells, Rhodes and Gay were not on the last year of their deals. We weren't committed to any of these guys past this year and then signed guys who weren't as talented to deals that allow us to move on after this year. Essentially we sacrificed talent for money, yet have not used that money to address our biggest issue which is the offense.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I would understand this better if Wells, Rhodes and Gay were not on the last year of their deals. We weren't committed to any of these guys past this year and then signed guys who weren't as talented to deals that allow us to move on after this year. Essentially we sacrificed talent for money, yet have not used that money to address our biggest issue which is the offense.

Wells/Mendenhall a wash IMO.Did not like the Kerry Rhodes cut.........maybe a conflict with BA or Bowles and Rhodes......the rumor said Rhodes didn`t want to be in AZ....so that was fixed....wonder if the trade approach was thought about? Maybe Gay didn`t fit with what Bowles wants at CB........maybe Bowles doesn`t like Louisville guys (just kidding).Brinkley younger replace Lenon and Powers and either a draft guy or another vet FA for CB depth.Still need another D-line veteran and another depth or rotational type thru the draft .
Still a work in progress.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Wells/Mendenhall a wash IMO.Did not like the Kerry Rhodes cut.........maybe a conflict with BA or Bowles and Rhodes......the rumor said Rhodes didn`t want to be in AZ....so that was fixed....wonder if the trade approach was thought about? Maybe Gay didn`t fit with what Bowles wants at CB........maybe Bowles doesn`t like Louisville guys (just kidding).Brinkley younger replace Lenon and Powers and either a draft guy or another vet FA for CB depth.Still need another D-line veteran and another depth or rotational type thru the draft .
Still a work in progress.

Gay and Wells were not ideal fits for Bowles defense/Arians offense, or at least it looks that way. My issue is with cutting all of these players from our best unit, and not applying it to improving our offense which was our worst unit.

Our secondary is worse now than it was before, and I have yet to see where the money is going to add talent to the roster. If you are telling me we cut Rhodes, Wilson, and Gay just to add Powers, Brinkley, Alexander and Bell, then it is a stupid move. I understand that it is early in the process, but until I see some sort of quality return, I will continue to be justifiably critical of these moves. Never good to value quantity over quality in the NFL, especially when you have issues at the QB position.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Gay and Wells were not ideal fits for Bowles defense/Arians offense, or at least it looks that way. My issue is with cutting all of these players from our best unit, and not applying it to improving our offense which was our worst unit.

Our secondary is worse now than it was before, and I have yet to see where the money is going to add talent to the roster. If you are telling me we cut Rhodes, Wilson, and Gay just to add Powers, Brinkley, Alexander and Bell, then it is a stupid move. I understand that it is early in the process, but until I see some sort of quality return, I will continue to be justifiably critical of these moves. Never good to value quantity over quality in the NFL, especially when you have issues at the QB position.

I am wondering if the Cards have several CBs they like in the middle rounds and are still trying for Cason also.Shaugnessy good D-line pickup.Brinkley and Alexander help iLB.So as of now that leaves the O-line in the draft which is a pretty good draft for that area.
Pass rusher -another OLB in the draft which has several available.
QB-i think Cards will stand pat unless they decide Geno Smith is their man.
Safety -quite a few solid saeties available in draft and free agency at this time.
What i wonder about is the rumor that the Cards will go O-Line in 2 of the first 3 rounds of the draft.Whoever gets drafted in RD 1 has to be a immediate impact player and getting another impact guy at 2 and 3 would be better.If the Cards are going that route you have to think Colledge or Snyder will be gone despite the CAP dollars if top pick is Warmack.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After today's signings - I think they are doing a FANTASTIC job, all things considered.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also if Beanie's knee still can't pass a physical then the Beanie we hoped for, wasn't going to happen anyways.

So while I still believe overall production was going to be better for Mendenhall, now with the revelations with Beanie's knee, we could either suffer a last year with injury prone Beanie or get a guy whose knee should be rounding into shape now and ready to roll.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No other way to say it. He aced the FA 101 test. Maybe he'll make another pick or two and then on to the Draft. Describe me as happy.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm fairly impressed. I don't know if I'm more shocked at our aggressiveness or the fact that these dudes are willing to come here at all. Solid depth signings IMO (Cason is a good #2 CB tho). If we go oline heavy in the draft I'll be sold.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
After today's signings - I think they are doing a FANTASTIC job, all things considered.

I did this subject thread after the first 48 hrs of free agency, now two days later I think all the signings have improved our depth, while controlling the salary cap for the future. What we are seeing is a GREAT job by GM Keim getting our Cardinals back on the right track.

A couple of notes. I initially had Mendenhall and Wells an even swap but when you see the news that Wells failed his physical (knee) you have to give kudos to the Cardinals even more.

Now all that is left for the icing on the cake for free agency is getting Josh Cribbs into a Cardinal uniform so we can see him electrify us with KR, PR, #4 WR and running the "Pistol" :)

Go Cardinals!
-Tim

@SheriffK9NJ

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not just that they are willing to come here, but come here on a relatively cheap and short contracts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
in the draft they will go ot,lb,qb,safety,rb,te,wr
1st -Lane Johnson ot Oklahoma
2nd- Jamie Collins olb Southern Missisipi
3th- Matt Scott qb Arizona
4th- JJ Wilcox ss Georgia Southern
5th- Denard Robinson rb/wr Michigan
6th- Levin Toilolo te Stanford
6th- Jewan Jemison rb Rutgers

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
In case Dion Jordan is available at #7
Rd 1 Dion Jordan OLB Oregon-pass rushing OLB
2.Larry Warford G Kentucky-big tough mauling OG
3.Jake Long G-T Oregon-raw athletic oline
4.Zeke Motta SS ND-solid safety
5.Dwayne Gratz CB-S UConn-CB who might be a better Safety in the NFL
6.AJ Klein ILB-OLB Iowa State-versatile tough type
6.Craig Roh DE Michigan-Strong backup DE

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I think it is clear that Keim, Arians and Co. have a plan and are executing to it. IMO they have made all of the right moves so far.

Stanton was drafted just "7" spots after Kolb in the draft. He's big, somewhat mobile, with a great arm. He also seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. Lets give him a chance to prove himself. Either way we still add a QB in the 2nd round of the upcoming draft.

Go Cardinals!
-Tim

@SheriffK9NJ

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stanton was drafted just "7" spots after Kolb in the draft. He's big, somewhat mobile, with a great arm. He also seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. Lets give him a chance to prove himself. Either way we still add a QB in the 2nd round of the upcoming draft.

Go Cardinals!
-Tim

@SheriffK9NJ
Timmy - I remember that, prior to that draft, my impression of Kolb was that he was an overrated system-QB who reminded me a lot of Pete Liske. The second-tier QB who impressed me more than Kolb that year was a some guy named Beck (I wonder whatever happened to that dude).

I always felt we gave up too much for Kolb, but hoped that somehow he'd be competent enough to execute the offense well enough to allow the rest of the team to win for him. You can either point fingers at Kolb or at the crumby OL, but either way, the combination of the two couldn't cut it and cost our HC and GM their jobs.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Build through the draft and take a long term approach to this team, not bandaid, high paid players. The only move I find questionable is the Kerry Rhodes move, but Bell was signed for peanuts and this gives a bit of flexibility moving forward.

I sure wish the Cardinals could do this. They've been able to accomplish it once in 25 years and that took a lot of free agents to go along with the drafted players. Guys like Warner and Berry and Okeafor and James and Gandy

How do you build through the draft when you have 5 years, 2005-2009, 34 draft picks and only three guys still on the roster?

That HAS to change. We've had 3 good drafts now I sure hope they don't let all those guys go too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I sure wish the Cardinals could do this. They've been able to accomplish it once in 25 years and that took a lot of free agents to go along with the drafted players. Guys like Warner and Berry and Okeafor and James and Gandy

How do you build through the draft when you have 5 years, 2005-2009, 34 draft picks and only three guys still on the roster?

That HAS to change. We've had 3 good drafts now I sure hope they don't let all those guys go too.

I agree, this is the key. Free agency doesn't mean squat if we can't draft good players and then keep 80% of them.