GM 11: GK vs. Pink Punters

Djaughe

Reaction score
Pink Punters

Matchup

I'm going to adjust the strong I to go left (AIO only)...while also moving the TE to that spot.

Even though its a mismatch game - I want to see how we do.

Defense will be on "basic" settings.

Superspck
- I'm not doing anything to the regular settings. I'm going to try other passing plays from the wr screen setting to see how it looks...I figure folks may be selling themselves into more zone type of coverage in trying to defend the screen.

Maybe we can switch gears on them. :)

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
Superspck...whaddya think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Flanker Drag (Single Back)

Both weakside WR's are going deep...we may need to move Jammin U'up (Lv. 27) into the No. 3 slot. But I kinda like the idea of both Riba (superfast) and the J0ker )superslow) on that side of the field.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Superspck...whaddya think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Flanker Drag (Single Back)

Both weakside WR's are going deep...we may need to move Jammin U'up (Lv. 27) into the No. 3 slot. But I kinda like the idea of both Riba (superfast) and the J0ker )superslow) on that side of the field.

I think Joker at Y with Jammin at X works well. That leaves Nita at the Z. He can use his maginally better speed/agi to separate better than Jammin. I do like the drag route, and the underneath up by the HB (where I think Kidd can kill).

As it stands, the TE's only purpose is to free Sam/Mike for either the drag or the HB check down, but it's an important decoy. Part of me just wishes he could stay a blocker, but no can do.

I'll throw the play in on 1st and 3rd at a medium percentage.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also, changed the rushing out of strong I on first down to "Left" and put the TE to pass block on the left... although I worry how that will react, seeing as he's supposed to run-block.

So I don't want to make a sweeping change until I know for sure.

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
....Part of me just wishes he could stay a blocker, but no can do.

I'll throw the play in on 1st and 3rd at a medium percentage.

:confused: TE can stay and block - that's an option. Check out the AIO settings (1st qtr) - I have it where an olinemen is subbed in.

Also, changed the rushing out of strong I on first down to "Left" and put the TE to pass block on the left... although I worry how that will react, seeing as he's supposed to run-block.

So I don't want to make a sweeping change until I know for sure.

I think GLB misstated the term "pass block" - to them it generally translates staying put and blocking.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:confused: TE can stay and block - that's an option. Check out the AIO settings (1st qtr) - I have it where an olinemen is subbed in.

I wasn't careful enough with my words.

What I meant to say is that the route the TE is running is crucial to the play, but he's probably one of the last passing option. By running up, then across the formation he's going to take either the strong side or middle linebacker with him. This is what creates free space for the WR drag route to work.

I always love having extra blockers, but the "decoy" route the TE is running is crucial to the success of the play, if I keep the TE as a blocker than the WR has to shake the CB, and potentially 2 LB's (again depending on defensive scheme), instead of just beating his man.

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
I wasn't careful enough with my words.

What I meant to say is that the route the TE is running is crucial to the play, but he's probably one of the last passing option. By running up, then across the formation he's going to take either the strong side or middle linebacker with him. This is what creates free space for the WR drag route to work.

I always love having extra blockers, but the "decoy" route the TE is running is crucial to the success of the play, if I keep the TE as a blocker than the WR has to shake the CB, and potentially 2 LB's (again depending on defensive scheme), instead of just beating his man.

I.C.

I sorta view the AIO as sorta like the D'antoni Suns fastbreak inwhich we go with something we're good at and just go extreme in the settings to beat maybe 3 plays to death. Of course when the opposition starts to "catch" up to us - we adjust our settings to look for mismatches.

I'm thinking that since we've established how good the WR screen is under the AIO - most DC's will be trying to stop it like in the last game. So we look for a mismatch.

In the Def. Coord. forums - The one defensive tactic growing in popularity is either to Blitz either the CB1 or CB3 under a 3.2.6 or 3.3.5 package - with MtM coverage.

So I'm sorta hoping that if this tactic is used - the Rock may have more open targets on the weakside (i.e. Joker or Jammin).

Eventually where I'm going with this - is to bring the WR screen play back with this Flanker drag in the AIO setting....maybe have an alternating 50/50 pass split with the Strong I run.

In the regular quarters we can implement a regular TE as a passing option to be that "decoy".

We'll look at the game film and then see how both styles are working.

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
update - there are grumblings in GLB that the wr screen is too strong...here's an example post:

maitey said:
WR screen is a joke. Some teams totally depend on this play. It is clearly being exploited and the people defending it are prob using it over and over.

Yes you can defend against it, but it leaves you totally exposed to the single back run and other plays.

I dont think this is how Bort envisioned certain plays and if he did check, I am sure he would see this and strong-I runs are the most used plays this season.

Superspck - thats an example of what I'm thinking. DC coordinators are so worried about the WR screen - that they are overcommitting themselves to stopping it.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I.C.

I sorta view the AIO as sorta like the D'antoni Suns fastbreak inwhich we go with something we're good at and just go extreme in the settings to beat maybe 3 plays to death. Of course when the opposition starts to "catch" up to us - we adjust our settings to look for mismatches.

I'm thinking that since we've established how good the WR screen is under the AIO - most DC's will be trying to stop it like in the last game. So we look for a mismatch.

In the Def. Coord. forums - The one defensive tactic growing in popularity is either to Blitz either the CB1 or CB3 under a 3.2.6 or 3.3.5 package - with MtM coverage.

So I'm sorta hoping that if this tactic is used - the Rock may have more open targets on the weakside (i.e. Joker or Jammin).

Eventually where I'm going with this - is to bring the WR screen play back with this Flanker drag in the AIO setting....maybe have an alternating 50/50 pass split with the Strong I run.

In the regular quarters we can implement a regular TE as a passing option to be that "decoy".

We'll look at the game film and then see how both styles are working.

The modern modifications of the game. I like what you're saying though. Get em thinking run, set up the play action pass.
Get em thinking screen, set up a bomb.

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
The modern modifications of the game. I like what you're saying though. Get em thinking run, set up the play action pass.
Get em thinking screen, set up a bomb.

LOL...you say it much better!