Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Steven Johnson on Ghost Rider
Source: Superhero Hype!
January 16, 2005

Ghost Rider writer/director Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil) dropped by Superhero Hype! to give a new update on the anticipated Sony adaptation of the comic books, which will start shooting in just four weeks.

Some highlights from the update are that Nicolas Cage will indeed be playing Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider. A few more parts are cast and official announcements should be coming soon. The budget for the film is now $51 million, but he expects it to be higher. He also adds that they are no longer using the earlier David Goyer script, instead Johnson is going with his own, which is closer to the comic and also a supernatural western.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a MArvel character that I hear a lot of good things about, but I'm not too familiar with. I guess the time to buy the back issues is now before this movie makes it's way into the public consciousness (although Cage has been attached to it for a couple of years it seems like it's still only being talked about in fanboy circles).

Brown_Blood

Seven.
Reaction score
Pariah said:
This is a MArvel character that I hear a lot of good things about, but I'm not too familiar with. I guess the time to buy the back issues is now before this movie makes it's way into the public consciousness (although Cage has been attached to it for a couple of years it seems like it's still only being talked about in fanboy circles).

I was a big Marvel fan for a while (pretty much pre-kids, wife, mortgage, etc...) but I never read much Ghost Rider. I know what he looks like, with the whole bike and chain thing, but I can't recall......for the true fan out there, does he have a "normal" mode, like being human, that Cage would play, or is he always runnin' 'round on fire and all that?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if memory serves he was a daredevil and somehow he basically became an angel of vengance through a deal with the devil. I imagine he probably does have an "alter-ego" but I'm not sure who it is.

It's interesting that they'd mention that the comic is a "supernatural western," because that was the very first Ghost Rider in the 50's that is completely unrelated to the motorcycle-riding Ghost Rider that they're making this movie about. That I'm certain of; I've seen early pictures of the make up/mask for cage, and it's definately the flaming skull GR, not the white mask and cape GR that was the western.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes Bentley is Blackheart in Ghost Rider
Source: Variety
January 21, 2005

Variety says American Beauty star Wes Bentley will play the villain Blackheart in Columbia Pictures' Ghost Rider, the comic book adaptation that stars Nicolas Cage and is being directed by Mark Steven Johnson.

The Marvel Comics property centers on a motorcyclist who makes a pact with dark forces, gets double-crossed and battles the bad guys to protect the woman he loves.

The movie is being produced by Michael De Luca, Avi Arad, Gary Foster and Ari Arad. Johnson rewrote a Shane Salerno script. Shooting begins next month in Australia.

The trade adds that Bentley is a friend of Colin Farrell, who starred as Bullseye in Johnson's Daredevil. Farrell put the actor and helmer together for this new film.

------------------------------

I haven't read Ghost Rider in years. Time to break out some back issues.

There have been multiple Ghost Riders. Johnny Blaze, Noble Kale, Dan Ketch, etc.

In the comics he is a man condemned to exist in a shapeless void, and to emerge only when innocents are imperiled.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I brought any of my old Ghost Rider comics with me. I wonder if they're going to keep the penance stare.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Ghost Rider was Space Ghost.

They need to do a Space Ghost movie.

Puddy from Seinfeld would be perfect.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
I was thinking Ghost Rider was Space Ghost.

They need to do a Space Ghost movie.

Puddy from Seinfeld would be perfect.
They just re-launched space ghost (sans the camp). Supposed to be pretty good. I had a lot of comic to buy on Wednesday, or I woulda picked up the first couple of issues.

Here's the cover of #1 painted by Alex Ross:
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
uuugh, I never want to see that phrase ever again.

No kidding. :barf:

When I think of Ghost Rider going to the big screen, he's the last person I would have picked for the role. I always thought the character was a young hotshot stunt rider... :shrug:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
She's the girl in training day right Denzels girlfriend or something? Cause that lady is hot.

I know she was in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ghost Rider cast updates
Source: misc sources
February 9-11, 2005

The Age reports that three more have joined the Ghost Rider cast:

Former Stingers actor Daniel Frederiksen has, we hear, landed a major role co-starring with Nicolas Cage in big-budget action movie Ghost Rider.

The Marvel Comic adaptation, which shoots in Melbourne from Monday, tells the story of a motorcyclist who makes a pact with dark forces, gets double-crossed and battles the bad guys to save the woman he loves.

It stars Cage as Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider, Wes Bentley as his nemesis, Blackheart. Eva Mendes also has a role. Networking hears that Frederiksen, who completed filming on Stingers in August, made it through an extensive two-month audition process and will play a water demon, Wallow, alongside two other Australians, Laurence Breuls (Black Rock, Marriage Acts) and Matthew Wilkinson (Mission Impossible II, Two Hands).

------------------

Matt Long, who stars as Jack in The WB's "Jack & Bobby," is in talks to play a younger version of the title character played by Nicolas Cage in Columbia Pictures' Ghost Rider, says The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie stars Cage as a former motorcycle stuntman named Johnny Blaze who agrees to let his body become host to a vengeful spirit -- becoming a bike-riding demon in the process -- to secure the safety of his true love, to be played by Eva Mendes.

Long would play a young Johnny, who makes the deal with the devil. Also starring are Wes Bentley and Sam Elliott. Mark Steven Johnson is directing and wrote the latest draft of the script. Shane Salerno wrote the original draft.

-------------------

Ain't-It-Cool-News has a rumor that actor/singer Angry Anderson is on board for Ghost Rider. Angry is known to most Australian audiences, and those outside the country might know him from the MAD MAX series.

--------------------

Man, this one's rolling right along. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Steven Johnson on Sam Elliot's character: Sam Elliott? That long white hair? That cowboy attitude? He's Caretaker!

:cool:

You must be registered for see images attach

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Mark Steven Johnson on Sam Elliot's character: Sam Elliott? That long white hair? That cowboy attitude? He's Caretaker!

:cool:

You must be registered for see images attach
Sam Elliot...okay. Chris Christopherson...perfect.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Sam Elliot...okay. Kris Kristofferson...perfect.

Yeah, but he was Whistler in the Blade Trilogy. :D

Besides, if you can have Nic Cage as Ghost Rider...do you think the casting people know what they're doing as it is? :bang:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More casting...

Fonda and Logue Ride with the Ghost
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
February 18, 2005

Peter Fonda is in talks and Donal Logue has joined the cast of the Nicolas Cage starrer Ghost Rider for Columbia Pictures.

Based on the Marvel Comics property, Ghost Rider is an action-adventure about Johnny Blaze (Cage), a stunt motorcyclist who saves the world from evil spirits that cross over from beyond.

Fonda will play the role of Mephistopheles, and Logue will play Mack, Johnny's chief mechanic and best friend who soups up Johnny's motorcycles for his stunts.

Mark Steven Johnson is directing the film, which also stars Wes Bentley, Eva Mendes, Matt Long, and Sam Elliott.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Oh, snap!

:ireallydon'tknowwhatthatmeansbuti'vebeenwantingtosayit:

Did you check out the link? Bigger pic of the bike. :thumbup:

Is there a drool smiley? :shrug:

:fans:

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
I watched them film last night. They were shooting in the city with all these cop cars and swat team members. It was so cool. The motorbike was there, but was covered up most of the night and i didn't hang around to see them shoot anything with it.

Possible Spoiler Speculation ***************

(probably nothing but i know some of you in here take this stuff (too) seriously)

The setting was outside an insurance building and the cops roll up looking up at the building. I think the Bike must fly out of the building or something like that, as it was sitting on the ground outside and the concrete surrounding it, was a rubble.

I didn't see Nic Cage but Eva was there :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Billythekid. :thumbup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a blurb from the USA Today:

'Ghost Rider' fan Cage will play title role

He's directing only his third film, but Mark Steven Johnson has learned the secret to luring A-list talent to his movies: Offer them comic-book characters.

That's how he nabbed Ben Affleck for 2003's Daredevil, and it worked again in attracting Nicolas Cage for the lead in Ghost Rider, due Aug. 4, 2006.

"Most of these guys are comic-book geeks like me," Johnson says from Melbourne, Australia, where he is shooting the story of Johnny Blaze (Cage), a biker who sells his soul to the devil to save his girlfriend and then struggles with his demonic side, aka Ghost Rider. "Nic is one of the biggest fans of the comic book out there."

So big, in fact, that the actor sports a tattoo of the Ghost Rider's flaming skull on his arm. Makeup artists had to cover it for the film. Says Johnson: "The irony is we had to remove Nic's Ghost Rider so he could play Ghost Rider."

- Scott Bowles

Attachments

• cageghost.jpg
    cageghost.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 178

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn