Gannon roasted for pep talk

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The phrase "beggars can't be choosers" has to be considered. If this year's results mirror last year's, and we get to FA next year only to have the players we want to spend money on choose somewhere else, Monti and Gannon have to wear that. It is the environment they created due to inactivity in 2023.

You can't tank or re-set or whatever, and then claim it isn't your fault ideal payers don't want to sign with your organization and that excuses more losing.
This is what I feel Monti and Ganon don't understand. We are the Arizona Cardinals, we don't get the benefit of the doubt from FA's. Of course, this might not be their plan, but if it is to entice a big free agency haul at the right time and they whiff, well that could be doom for them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
players rarely hit free agency without warts... if a guy was a premium draft pick and worked out the odds are high he never changes teams.
Except they do. JJ’s wart was his age and injury history. He was still a homerun. Reggie white, Simeon rice, brees, manning, montana, prime time (twice), Charles Woodson, Brady, Curtis Martin, rod Woodson, jerry rice, Kurt Warner, deandre Hopkins, Michael turner, Michael McCrary, Sam mills, trey Hendrickson, Steve mcMichael, tony Romo, Arian foster, Antonio gates, jimmy smith, John randle,
Mike vrabel, Michael Bennett, James farrior, Bryce paup, Ed mccaffrey, Keenan mccardell, priest Holmes, Kevin mawae, Shannon sharpe, Micah Hyde, Mitchell Schwartz, akiem hicks, Ryan Clark, Kyle vanden Bosch, Terrance Mathis, emannuel sanders, Evan Mathis, Malcolm Jenkins, shaq Barrett, Lorenzo Neal, mark schlereth, Shaun O’Hara, Joe horn, garrison Hearst, Rodney Harrison, . And those are just the best.

Of course there are the Albert Haynesworth’s out there too. But when you’re comparing the premium to premium, it’s almost an avalanche in favor of free agents because they’re proven already verses too draft picks which are low percentage hits.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe the Eagles will give us Davonta Smith for a fifth because they already have a #1 wideout

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Except they do. JJ’s wart was his age and injury history. He was still a homerun. Reggie white, Simeon rice, brees, manning, montana, prime time (twice), Charles Woodson, Brady, Curtis Martin, rod Woodson, jerry rice, Kurt Warner, deandre Hopkins, Michael turner, Michael McCrary, Sam mills, trey Hendrickson, Steve mcMichael, tony Romo, Arian foster, Antonio gates, jimmy smith, John randle,
Mike vrabel, Michael Bennett, James farrior, Bryce paup, Ed mccaffrey, Keenan mccardell, priest Holmes, Kevin mawae, Shannon sharpe, Micah Hyde, Mitchell Schwartz, akiem hicks, Ryan Clark, Kyle vanden Bosch, Terrance Mathis, emannuel sanders, Evan Mathis, Malcolm Jenkins, shaq Barrett, Lorenzo Neal, mark schlereth, Shaun O’Hara, Joe horn, garrison Hearst, Rodney Harrison, . And those are just the best.

Of course there are the Albert Haynesworth’s out there too. But when you’re comparing the premium to premium, it’s almost an avalanche in favor of free agents because they’re proven already verses too draft picks which are low percentage hits.
Nice list. No do the lists of all of the busts and/or guys who played significantly worse than they did on their last contract.

That list will be 100x longer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I can't think of any off the top of my head, do you have examples?

Specifically of good young talent under team control traded for late round picks.
Here's a guy you like from last year, Laviska Shenault.

Peruse the lists, they are out there and it happens every year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your example is a guy who had 271 yards receiving last season with the Panthers after they traded for him?

Doesn’t seem like that makes much a case for your argument to me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My choice would be to use some of those late round picks we have quite a lot of to trade for guys. Generally better quality than FA.
I’d be interesting in lining up players the cards have acquired for late round picks verses these free agent acquisitions:

Edge
Warner
Joyner
Iupati
Clyde simmons
Jordan hicks
JJ watt
Frostee rucker
Bertrand berry
Mike gandy
John abraham
Corey peters.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nice list. No do the lists of all of the busts and/or guys who played significantly worse than they did on their last contract.

That list will be 100x longer.
Absokutely, but you know what’s longer than that list? The list of draft picks in rounds 1-3 who were never was busts. Again, play on a level playing field.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lol. Cmon, really? That guy did virtually nothing. You only came up with one and it was that dud. Yeesh.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol. Cmon, really? That guy did virtually nothing. You only came up with one and it was that dud. Yeesh.
No that's the amount of effort I will go to, to prove that point.

There are plenty of young guys available for a litany of reasons. Just takes the right team, right situation for them to thrive.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Ok. I didn't think that was the type of player you were talking about. I classify them as under achievers who are still young and maybe benefit from a change of scenery. More lottery tickets than something to count on and build around.

Shenault is kind of the offensive equivalent of Isaiah Simmons.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok. I didn't think that was the type of player you were talking about. I classify them as under achievers who are still young and maybe benefit from a change of scenery. More lottery tickets than something to count on and build around.

Shenault is kind of the offensive equivalent of Isaiah Simmons.
You're not going to find superstars, but you can find contributors late.

Shenault was criminally underused last year in Carolina after being underused in Jacksonville prior. I would have loved to have him in the Rondale Moore role a few years ago.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Laviska Shenault.

Interesting that he outperformed Rondale Moore in their first 2 years in the league.

121 catches vs 95
1,200 yards vs 800
5 Td's vs 2

Yes, Rondale got injured but his best season (14 games) is still not better than Shenault's best season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You're not going to find superstars, but you can find contributors late.

Shenault was criminally underused last year in Carolina after being underused in Jacksonville prior. I would have loved to have him in the Rondale Moore role a few years ago.
Dudes that are underused by two teams are also called “not that good.” If he was a former cardinal you’d call him bust.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not enough effort considering you proved zilch
I don't really care to put in the effort. I looked at the list and there are plenty of guys available via trade every year that you could trade picks to get.

You don't agree, that's fine, I'm not going to spend time doing research for you and posting the lists.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92