Game 6 (AZ 24 OAK 13) Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I saw the Raiders hang tooth and nail with the Patriots at Foxborough---they stifled the Pats' offense and young Derek Carr was showing some very positive flashes. Then, having noticed how the Raiders jumped out on the Chargers last week, the way I figured it was that if the Raiders were able to jump out on the Cardinals in similar fashion, then this time they most likely would earn their first win.

When the Cardinals did not convert a 4th and 3 from the Raiders' 40 yard line on their first possession on a pass that John Carlson could have tucked away, it was nerve-wracking. However, credit the Cardinals' defense and OLB Sam Acho in particular for getting what may have been the most important three and out of the game.

Even though the Raiders had flipped the field position, Carson Palmer, Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor calmly led the Cardinals on a precise 11 play, 88 yard TD drive while taking up 7 minutes of the first quarter clock---highlighted by an outstanding 9 yard dive and catch on a 3rd and 7 by Jaron Brown (unsung player #3) and---capped off by a nifty reach for the goalline TD by Taylor who had the strength and wherewithal to keep his knees parallel to the ground while stretching the ball over the line.

Already---three of the more unsung Cardinals in Acho (#1), Taylor (#2) and Jaron Brown (#3) were putting positive stamps on this game---which was an auspicious tone setter for the afternoon.

The next defensive possession started out poorly as Carr converted a third down pass over the middle---and then Darren McFadden took a wildcat snap and dashed for 12 yards and another first down. That was followed by the first of Patrick Peterson's two penalties on the day.

The demonstrative way in which Peterson challenged the refs does not aid and abet his cause---under the tenor of last year's rules what Peterson did in trying to maintain contact with the WR was legit and smart. This year it's a penalty---and by now no one should know better than Peterson.

However, while the Raiders did drive into Cardinals' territory, Kareem Martin (enter unsung player #4) made a clutch tackle from behind on a Derek Carr scramble that forced another Raiders' punt, which was fair caught by Ted Ginn Jr. at the 14 yard line.

Palmer then hits Fitz for 7 yards---and gets a 3rd down conversion on a 5 yard swing pass to Ellington---then after a false start by Paul Fanaika, Palmer connects with John Brown on a 19 yard chain mover.

What the Cardinals are learning under BA is that they can overcome penalties and keep drives alive---

Interestingly, Palmer forced the issue on a deep pass to John Brown the next play as Brown was sandwiched by two Raiders' defenders. Not so sure Brown had the legs or his breath on that play after having just raced for 19 yards on the previous play. Next thing we know Palmer is sacked for 11 yards and Butler ran on to punt.

The next defensive possession was outstanding for the Cardinals---they stuffed McFadden twice on one yard runs, one in which Rashad Johnson came up to finish the play---and then on 3rd down---Larry Foote timed his up-the-middle blitz perfectly and recorded what would turn out to be the only Cardinals' sack of the day.

Starting at the 50 yard line the next Cardinals' drive feature two Palmer passes to Michael Floyd for 15 and 33 yards (TD) respectively.

The opponents' 20-35 yard area for the Cardinals' offense is really becoming their hot TD zone---which is smart because it gives the QBs and the WRs the right amount of space to keep the defense on its heels and in a difficult position to help over the top.

The next Raiders' possession was an 8 play 79 yard drive in under 4 minutes, highlighted by a 55 yard bomb from Carr to Brice Butler that was made possible by poor pressure and nifty footwork from Carr. While FS Rashad Johnson was beat on the play, given the amount of time Carr bought for himself, that's a tough play to stay on top of. Johnson did well to keep Butler from scoring---and after Dan Williams and Kareem Martin stuffed two McFadden runs it looked as if the Cardinals might hold the Raiders to a FG, McFadden took it in for a TD on his third attempt.

With under 2:00 left after a 4 yard pass to Ellington, Palmer threw high to a wide open John Carlson who tipped the pass straight to Charles Woodson for the first Cardinals' interception of the year...the timing of which was poor in that now all the momentum was lost from the 14-0 lead and the Raiders were feeling like this was now becoming their day.

Fortunately for the Cardinals, the defense got what turned out to be quite possibly the other most important three and out of the afternoon (Janikowski FG), thanks to stuffing McFadden on first down and forcing two Carr incompletions.

14-10 Cardinals at half-time---and all the momentum on the Raiders' side at this point.

You just know at half-time how much emphasis BA was putting on the first offensive possession of the second half as a chance to take back the momentum and the control of the football game.

Curiously, BA has Taylor at RB to start the 2nd half and he gains 18 yards on 4 carries, but the drive ends when Ellington (now back in the game, much to the delight of us fans---as we must have wondered and dreaded oh no whether The Juke was injured) dropped an easy out pass. Weird.

At this point things were not looking good for the Cardinals.

And then things were looking worse when McFadden runs for 15 yards on 1st and 10. Then on a 3rd down and 10, Carr drops a nice 13 yard pass over Acho and underneath Cromartie to James Jones---and now the Raiders are threatening to take the lead.

But the Cardinals get a key stop over the middle from Kevin Minter (unsung player #5) to set up a third and 2 which is followed by a Carr incompletion and then by a 53 yard Janikowski FG to make it 14-13.

Here is where a team needs a leader to step up and reverse the momentum---which is exactly what Andre Ellington did. Ellington, still smarting over his third down drop, took a combination of runs and short passes for gains of 7, 5, 16, 4, 13, 5, 4---ALL on consecutive plays---including a 16 yard pass interference penalty he drew from Miles Burris on an overthrown wheel route.

Ellington got the offense to the the Oakland 4 where Taylor ran a sweet sweet left for a 4 yard TD---and what an answer this was by the Cardinals to wrest back the momentum and control of the game.

After a nice play by Patrick Peterson and Sam Acho that caused a 2 yard loss on a James Jones hitch pass---Jones struck again for an 18 yard catch this time with Tony jefferson making the tackle---but then Ed Stinson (enter unsung player #6) stuffs McFadden for a 1 yard gain---but Peterson is flagged for pass interference on the next play---only this time---the defense rallied up and forced an incompletion, a catch for 0 yards to McFadden on a screen pass that Kevin Minter (unsung #5) blew up in its tracks and then another short incompletion to McFadden to force a punt.

The 4th quarter begins with the Cardinals 1st and 10 on their 13 yard line and on 3rd and 5 after 2 Ellington runs for 5 yards, Palmer throws incomplete to Carlson over the middle---yet---there is a roughing the passer flag on Sio Moore for leading with the head---but on replay it looked like a clean play all the way.

From there the offense was able to move the chains another time on a nice 17 hard pass from Palmer to Ted Ginn Jr. (unsung #7)...but shortly thereafter after two plays for negative yards and a holding penalty on Jared Veldheer that even Stepfan Taylor's 17 yard catch and run over the middle could not make up for, the Cardinals punted.

The Raiders needed a TD and a 2 pt. conversion to tie the game and when Carr hit Andre Holmes for an 18 yard gain to Cromartie's side, it looked as if the Raiders were going to make a strong push to the finish. However, the drive ended shortly thereafter when Tyrann Mathieu (unsung #8) made an excellent tackle on a WR screen to Holmes---and the Raiders with 7:22 left and 2 timeouts elected to punt.

Ellington runs for 1 yard. Carlson (unsung #9) makes a nice 11 yard catch that Palmer threaded the needle on. Then Ellington rushed for 5 yards but his right foot gets stuck awkwardly in the turf while he's being tackled and he appears to be badly injured. The Cardinals then start to come unglued for a couple of plays---a Massie false start, followed by a delay of game, then a 7 yard run by Taylor and then comes the gem on 3rd and 8: Palmer zips a pass over the middle to John Brown (unsung #10) for a 22 yard gain. Brown is hit hard after the catch but hangs on---on a play that he dropped during the loss versus the Broncos.

The Raiders have wasted their timeouts and with Ellington back in the game---oh what a Rolaids R-E-L-I-E-F moment that was to see him back in the game---the Cardinals were able to set up Chandler Catanzaro (unsung #11) for a 41 yard FG that tied the NFL rookie record for consecutively made FGs to start a career (15).

24-13 Cardinals.

While there were a fair share of mistakes by the Cardinals in this game---the team effort all the way around was striking---from the young and unsung players---to the offense where what eight or nine players caught passes---to the defense where every player combined to hold the Raiders to 220 yards offense and 10 points (not including the 3 points they got off the interception) in their own raucous stadium---to the special teams who did their jobs.

BA talked all week about improving the running game---how many of us thought Ellington and Taylor would combine for 126 yards and over 200 yards total? It wasn't pretty all the way, but the results sure are and so is the progress.

And you know what? This was once again a tough, physical game---both teams hit and played hard---look at Charles Woodson who was leaving it all out there for the Raiders---but the Cardinals earned this win through toughness, both physical and mental---this Cardinals' team didn't just show up expecting to win and have it be easy---they came to earn this win, ever single hit of it---look at how tough Andre Ellington was in this game---I mean 8 consecutive touches on what turned out to be the TD drive that sealed the win?!!! That is representative of the desire this team has to do what it takes to win. These birds show up knowing no one is going to hand them the worms. They know they've got to dig for them themselves.

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
And dig they did Mitch. I loved this game. I was curiously confident that we would win this game all week. I had no sense of foreboding like I did when we played Denver. I almost 'knew' we would not fall for a trap game to a team that played San Diego very tough.

I love that BA has his players confidently going about their jobs, and not looking back on, (or ahead to), games that no longer matter or are not yet being prepared for.

Even though we gave away momentum just before the half, I felt that we would get control back, and we did, after, (as you pointed out), some serious give and take. What a comfort the see that our roster players are not only prepared, but that they are willing to put in the work to be prepared. That has NEVER happened with the exceptions of the Jim Hart, Jim Otis, days in the '70s, or the Whiz years with Warner. Even then, games were always breathless at the end in the Whiz years, as we hardly ever had the 'stones' to finish defensively, and Whiz often played scared on offense, save for the times Warner checked out of his play calls.

I feel that Arians has completely won over the roster to do his bidding. I KNOW that Palmer has won the roster, with 50 of 53 captains votes being for him. I also know that BA and Palmer are on the same page. Things are getting wonderfuller, and wonderfuller!!!!!!!!!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I have attended the last two games and couldn't help getting the feeling that the team was holding back yesterday.

It seemed like the intensity and playcalling had been toned down - almost as if the gameplan dictated that if we just played smart, didn't not making any mistakes and didn't let the Raiders/crowd into the game - a conservative approach would be enough to win over the worst team in the league.

Did anyone else get that feeling?

There weren't any exotic blitz packages on defense. On offense the complex routes for the WRs were only used when needed. I don't recall any playaction to WRs and the only time the offense went deep it resulted in a TD, yet the offense didn't go deep again.

Like you point out, Mitch. The positive thing to take away from this game was the play from the situational players. Minter played really well and while he's still limited compared to Washington/Dansby, it's seems like the light has been switched on for the first time.

The same can be said of Acho. The guy is never going to be a Pro-bowler and the fact that he arguebly playing out of his position/role was exposed a couple of times, but didn't make any mistakes and was very dependable.

I really like what I saw from Ed Stitson. He was a factor in the run D and was very good tying up people in pass rush.

One statement! Bobbie Masie and Veldheer are turning into a really good tandem at OT.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have attended the last two games and couldn't help getting the feeling that the team was holding back yesterday.

It seemed like the intensity and playcalling had been toned down - almost as if the gameplan dictated that if we just played smart, didn't not making any mistakes and didn't let the Raiders/crowd into the game - a conservative approach would be enough to win over the worst team in the league.

There weren't any exotic blitz packages on defense. On offense the complex routes for the WRs were only used when needed. I don't recall any playaction to WRs and the only time the offense went deep it resulted in a TD, yet the offense didn't go deep again.

Like you point out, Mitch. The positive thing to take away from this game was the play from the situational players. Minter played really well and while he's still limited compared to Washington/Dansby, it's seems like the light has been switched on for the first time.

The same can be said of Acho. The guy is never going to be a Pro-bowler and the fact that he arguebly playing out of his position/role was exposed a couple of times, but didn't make any mistakes and was very dependable.

I really like what I saw from Ed Stitson. He was a factor in the run D and was very good tying up people in pass rush.

One statement! Bobbie Masie and Veldheer are turning into a really good tandem at OT.

We did have some cutesy runs and end arounds though

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
"Fortunately for the Cardinals, the defense got what turned out to be quite possibly the other most important three and out of the afternoon (Janikowski FG), thanks to stuffing McFadden on first down and forcing two Carr interceptions."
'incompletions' and not interceptions, but at 5-1 one cannot blame one for having a little too much zeal lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I don't think you were out of your mind. I'm sure we played more base defense yesterday than any other game this season. We were also very simple on offense.

Personally, I think the team wanted to rein some stuff in and save it for future opponents. They figured we could win without a flashy gameplan, and they were right.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Nicely done Mitch.
I also agree with ajcardfan and BACH that our game plan was purposely conservative.
On a side note: Is Charles Woodson ever going to get old? Can't stand the Raiders, but I've got mad respect for that guy as a player.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
BTW.

A weird observation from the game. Cooper was in on the kneel down to end the 1st half

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nicely done Mitch.
I also agree with ajcardfan and BACH that our game plan was purposely conservative.
On a side note: Is Charles Woodson ever going to get old? Can't stand the Raiders, but I've got mad respect for that guy as a player.

Me too on Woodson. I told my son as much during the game. This guy is just plain good. Thanks for pointing that out.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The whole damn team are unsung heroes. One of the radio stations this afternoon was talking about how many pro bowlers we would have right now.. very few arguments on offense.. Peterson has had a down year.. Campbell has been hurt.. they only could come up with catanzaro.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think you were out of your mind. I'm sure we played more base defense yesterday than any other game this season. We were also very simple on offense.

Personally, I think the team wanted to rein some stuff in and save it for future opponents. They figured we could win without a flashy gameplan, and they were right.

Exactly, they figured they could play more straight up and still confuse Carr so why show stuff they don't have to IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard