Game 15 (SEA 35 AZ 6) Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Like many of you, I spend an anxious filled week trying to figure out how in the world the Cardinals' offense could prevail versus the Seahawks' prolific defense with yet another change at QB. Simply put, any QB that faces that defense is going to have to find a way to pinpoint passes into the tightest windows in the NFL with constant pressure in his face.

As NBC's Rodney Harrison figured out from the teams the Seahawks lost to (Chargers, Cowboys, Rams and Chiefs)---the formula is to run on them and keep running on them...which all of those teams did, save the Chargers who got a 3 TD performance from Philip Rivers.

The first curious move that BA made in this game was his decision to defer the coin toss. That was the previous coach's style, not BA's. What it suggested was that he was convinced the offense was likely to go 3 and out and a punt would leave the Seattle offense in good field position, which the Seahawks enjoyed all through their previous 19-3 win in Seattle. It's understandable---but---BA had been saying all week that the Cardinals were not going to change their stripes. Yet, in this case, the decision was an aberration.

However, the first quarter was actually working well in the Cardinals' favor in terms of field position. Then to get a good solid drive going at the start of the second quarter, following a missed Hauschka FG from 52 yards, thanks to the running and receiving of Stepfan Taylor, a tough as nails catch from Marion Grice and a nifty little TE slip screen to Rob Housler---a drive which looked like to could be a TD drive until G Ted Larsen jumped off-side on 3rd and goal from the 4 yard line. After avoiding what could have been an end zone interception, the Cardinals kicked the FG and went up 3-0.

At that point, I was feeling very confident that with the Red Sea urging on the defense---and having previously seen Frostee Rucker planting a straight-back whiplash pin on Russell Wilson, that the usually unflappable Wilson was going to struggle under the noise and pressure.

Then it happened---the play I think all of us have been worried about all year---knowing how when a defense goes all-out pressure it leaves itself vulnerable to the big play---which amazingly this defense has pretty much eluded all season long.

Russell Wilson caught OLB Matt Shaughnessy crashing down inside on the run fake and made an easy break of contain to his right---which caught the attention of FS Rashad Johnson as a potential big chunk yard run---and now Johnson, whose first responsibility is deep coverage---found himself in no-man's land while speedy TE Luke Wilson was slipping deep behind Johnson with no one covering him---and Russell Wilson calmly laid a perfect strike over the top which Luke Wilson was able to catch right in stride and take to the house for a stunning 80 yard TD.

Apparently, LB Larry Foote, has stated that he blew the coverage on Luke Wilson---but as we saw, Foote is clearly not fast enough to cover Wilson especially off of play action.

What became clear form that point on is how well prepared the Seahawks were to know when they could exploit ILB Kevin Minter on off-tackle runs to his side and ILB Larry Foote on play action passes to the TE to his side. The bailout player in both those scenarios is FS Rashad Johnson, who had a rough night, despite being the Belichick of the defense in previous weeks.

After the offense sputtered deep---following a curious deep throwback pass attempt from Logan Thomas (which in retrospect was not a good call from the 5 yard line and with Thomas not getting enough depth on his drop to step into that throw---the defense found itself in a tight position.

The three most disappointing plays on that ensuing Seahawks' TD drive was the wide open 22 yard scramble by Russell Wilson though a hole in the middle that you could drive twin Cadillac Escalades through (btw---the Seahawks' C and Gs are taught to clear out the middle so that Wilson has clearer passing lanes and/or the wide-open option to bolt the pocket---and btw the Cardinals' defense has been very good at usually keeping their inside lanes so as not to let Wilson escape---on this night, however, that discipline was conspicuously absent), then on 3rd and 8, giving Wilson an easy wide open throw to Doug Baldwin---which, is mind-boggling in that situation and so anomalous to what the Cardinals have been doing on key 3rd downs all year---and then the TD run off right tackle by Marshawn Lynch of 6 yards---again, not something we have been used to seeing from this defense.

Being down 14-3 to this Seahawks' team felt like being down 3-0 in a soccer game---which is why BA started to try somehow to get Ryan Lindley into a passing rhythm---especially since on running downs the Seahawks were dropping their "doberman with a rifle" SS Cam Chancellor into the box where he was crashing the backside w/o being touched---and where he planted a tackle on Stepfan Taylor so hard that Taylor was knocked airborne three yards sideways.

These Seahawks they intimidate---and teams have to be prepared to match their intensity and their physicality.

Alas, both the Cardinals' lines were beaten badly---the most surprising of which was the Seahawks' o-line w/o 2 Pro Bowlers pounding on the Cardinals' defensive line.

Even so---and even though the Seahawks were out-gaining the Cardinals by 394 yards to 110---thanks to three missed FGs---and a good little drive toward the end of the third quarter, amazingly the Cardinals were only down 14-6 at the end of the third quarter.

Typically this year the Cardinals have found a way to win those type of close games at home. That has been their forte.

What too has been their forte is making half-time and in-game adjustments, especially on defense when the team is trailing.

This time---the adjustments never came, because the Cardinals' defense kept Larry Foote on Luke Wilson and the pass rush didn't stay disciplined in their lanes, which allowed Russell Wilson free and easy scramble exits.

Had the defense not given up TDs immediate following both of their FGs---I think BA would have mixed Kerwynn Williams in like he had the past two weeks, but being behind by 15 points in the 4th quarter basically took away that option. Look for Williams to get numerous carries this week.

In reality---the way the defense has shut down the opponents in the 2nd halves of games this year has been a genuine treat---but on this night, the Seahawks had all the right answers. They deserve credit.

I thought their celebrations showed just how genuinely worried they were about this game---especially after the normally reliable Hauschka was missing those FGs.

In a way---I felt as if it was a sign of respect---hard-earned respect for just how far our hungry Cardinals have come in such a short time.

As for what Richard Sherman said about Patrick Peterson, I think the game itself manifested certain veracities of what Sherman was saying, in that Peterson, unless he starts to relish and embrace the mental and physical toughness aspects of his position, would not fit in with their defense, as he would be held accountable for his shortcomings, such as the pitiful effort he made in trying to do whatever he was trying to do with Marshawn Lynch---one can't even call it trying to make a tackle. Whereas, as Cris Collinsworth pointed out, Sherman forced the run like a stud and delivers tough, hard-nosed form tackles.

As for Larry Fitzgerald, it agonized me to see him on the field at scrub time getting beat up on by the Seahawks' second stringers. What in the world he was doing on the field at that time is beyond any comprehension---that is a decision the previous coach repeatedly made, keeping Fitz in during scrub time and risking further injuries and worsening the ones he's already nursing.

Steve Keim said Fitz' cap figure is "baked into" next year's figures---but---anyone can see how transparent that statement from Keim is---there is no way the Cardinals can continue to challenge in the NFC West allotting $23M to one player, let alone to Fitz, who is now a glorified TE in the team's offense.

Fitz will want to go to perennial winner where he will feel more at ease with his role in the offense. Plus, even though the Cardinals have Carson Palmer returning, Palmer was not targeting Fitz in the manner that Fitz is accustomed to. To Fitz's credit, he has sacrificed his own personal goals for the sake of the team winning. But, to expect that to continue, when other options are likely to be available, is far-fetched.

As for Ryan Lindley, he played like a QB who has had one week of reps with the first team---and under the most pressure-packed conditions. When one harkens back to Carson Palmer's early season shoulder injury---if the team knew then that Logan Thomas would not be an option---Steve Keim could have very well done something back then---there was a bye week then too and still the chance to make trades.

The whole team and organizational focus on making a run at the Super Bowl was always the goal---although originally Keim was thinking three years---but as well as the players were embracing the system and the new culture---there grew a feeling that the Cardinals could make a big run earlier than expected. Keim has made some brilliant moves---and the coaching has been brilliant---it will be interesting to see how the players respond to this dose of humble pie and all the naysayers now saying "we told you so."

Last edited:

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
Nice write up, Mitch.
I'm hoping we can get Fitz back next year at a reduced amount as I'd hate to seem him in another uni, but 23 million would go a long way to helping us add some depth.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Nice write up, Mitch.
I'm hoping we can get Fitz back next year at a reduced amount as I'd hate to seem him in another uni, but 23 million would go a long way to helping us add some depth.

$23M is a deceiving number. If we cut him, there is a $15M cap hit (or we could spread that over two years). So really, next year we would have an extra $8M.

Mitch, good read on Fitz, I'm afraid. His comment that he blocks for the team, and doesn't really like this blocking role is telling. Having said that, a lot depends on Palmer. If his rehab is looking good early, Fitz could decide he wants to restructure and stay. He's smart enough to understand that no matter where you go that seems like it would be a contender, you never really know.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
$23M is a deceiving number. If we cut him, there is a $15M cap hit (or we could spread that over two years). So really, next year we would have an extra $8M.

Mitch, good read on Fitz, I'm afraid. His comment that he blocks for the team, and doesn't really like this blocking role is telling. Having said that, a lot depends on Palmer. If his rehab is looking good early, Fitz could decide he wants to restructure and stay. He's smart enough to understand that no matter where you go that seems like it would be a contender, you never really know.

I think Fitz would hop on the opportunity to play with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers...etc...but i do not think Fitz is enamored with Carson Palmer, but maybe I am mistaken.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice write up, Mitch.

The Cardinals have some major decision to make, but there is no way they can justify allotting $23M to ANY player on this team and certainly not for sentimental reasons.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I am at a loss as to why the best runner on the current roster couldn't sniff the field!

Disagree a bit on Larry. His salary is not out of line with how the cap has gone up and should continue to increase largely because of the TV contracts. Floyd has not shown he is a legit #1, imo. And I'm a Floyd backer.

I do think we need a true #1 RB. Ellington isn't that guy. He's the change of pace guy. #3rd down slot or out of the bf.

Skumbag

Registered
Reaction score
Great write up, Mitch!

By the way, where was Kerwynn Williams? I thought he was rushing much better than any back we had used previous.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great write up, Mitch!

By the way, where was Kerwynn Williams? I thought he was rushing much better than any back we had used previous.

Yeah---curious decision not to play him much.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals have some major decision to make, but there is no way they can justify allotting $23M to ANY player on this team and certainly not for sentimental reasons.

The Phillies did that with Ryan Howard with disastrous results.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well-presented, my friend...

I know last night was a disappointment BUT losing to a team that is clearly hitting on all super-bowl cylinders right now is hardly a disgrace. Reality is we got used to the euphoria of winning so last night was a shot to the gut.
Still, I believe we are a very good team on our way to being GREAT! I say that with NO wavering in my mind. BUT...I think we all knew deep down that we're NOT quite there...yet.

While I was very supportive of Lindley, I also knew that he was in for one heckuv' a challenge. Like you, and many others on here, I thought we abandoned the run game far too quickly. I wonder if Williams was hurt as his absence was indeed, quite puzzling. I also feel that Cooper's absence hurt the run game which seemed to be hitting its stride the past 2 weeks. Also, I believe C.C.'s hip injury affected his play more than we realize.

Summing up, with all that was thrown at us this year...WE ARE IN THE PLAY-OFFS!! I know the ultimate goal is to win the Lombardi but I can't help but smile at the success/progress of this years' team...And I eagerly look forward to our being even better in the days ahead.

MARK IN SC :)

The BASK is ever so slightly dimmed this week BUT....I'd much rather be "in" a play-off game then watching one!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good read.

Yet, I think many are forgetting that the Cardinals have been playing out of their collective minds for a while now.

To lose to the reigning champs, when they are playing well, when your team has a 3rd string RB, 3rd string QB, and a host of other players hurt, is not too big a deal.

It really isn't

BTW, Fitzgerald ? Worth every penny.

The Cardinals cannot compete with Fitzgerald's contract ? Hogwash, this whole season has proved the Cardinals can compete with a whole lot less expensive players, thus, I am not sure where this lack of faith they can get this done is coming from.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Very nice job Mitch. In my opinion, this game was not winnable for the Cardinals, unless Lindley was able to hit on 2 or 3 deep passes and score on a couple of them. That obviously did not happen, (and was not likely to happen at all), unless the QB whisperer could convince Lindley that he COULD do the job. Simply put, Lindley couldn't, and never could. I believe that is why BA passed and passed in the second half, because he needed to hit on some long ones to win.

We will not know how things would have worked out by running Kerwynn Williams. I would venture to say that since we were only getting 1.5 yards per carry by the half, that running would not have changed things. One of the things that BA was trying to accomplish was to get the Seahawks 8th man out of the box so that we could run some, but Lindley simply could not connect on enough passes to force this change.

In my opinion, there is really nothing that BA could have done to change the outcome of this game except to change our QB. Lindley was not capable, and neither was Thomas. BA knows that, which is why he said he would have a quick hook for Thomas if he does not deliver against the 'Niners. I believe that we will not see any real progress with Thomas if he starts against the 'Niners. It is not likely that he will be able to do what Lindley couldn't.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Very nice job Mitch. In my opinion, this game was not winnable for the Cardinals, unless Lindley was able to hit on 2 or 3 deep passes and score on a couple of them. That obviously did not happen, (and was not likely to happen at all), unless the QB whisperer could convince Lindley that he COULD do the job. Simply put, Lindley couldn't, and never could. I believe that is why BA passed and passed in the second half, because he needed to hit on some long ones to win.

We will not know how things would have worked out by running Kerwynn Williams. I would venture to say that since we were only getting 1.5 yards per carry by the half, that running would not have changed things. One of the things that BA was trying to accomplish was to get the Seahawks 8th man out of the box so that we could run some, but Lindley simply could not connect on enough passes to force this change.

In my opinion, there is really nothing that BA could have done to change the outcome of this game except to change our QB. Lindley was not capable, and neither was Thomas. BA knows that, which is why he said he would have a quick hook for Thomas if he does not deliver against the 'Niners. I believe that we will not see any real progress with Thomas if he starts against the 'Niners. It is not likely that he will be able to do what Lindley couldn't.

What we saw from BA's offense, Catfish, was not nearly what I expected going into the game. I thought for sure that he would see the utmost need to increase FB Robert Hughes' role---(1) because the only way to run on the Seahawks is to create isolation blocks on the Seahawks' LBers, including SS Cam Chancellor when they drop him onto the box. The Seahawks' LBers are fast and quick, but not very physical at the POA---when opposing offenses design double down isolation plays versus those LBers, it nullifies their ability to fly around and make plays---(2) Hughes, as we have seen in a few situations, is quite a weapon as a pass receiver and is particularly adept at getting open on play action passes.

I expected to see a steady diet of runs from Kerywnn Williams, not Stepfan Taylor, because you need to beat speed with speed.

Moreover, I expected to see BA try to exploit slot matchups with John Brown---who has been largely under-targeted in recent weeks.

I did expect BA to take some deep shots---and as you said---if the Cardinals hit on a few of them, it might have been a different story. And---they sure came close. The drop by Michael Floyd didn't help (but his nice catch over Richard Sherman and the earlier PI call certainly did)---and then when BA tried to hit gold on an unsuspected wheel route from Jaron Brown, the Seahawks were all over it. I got the sense that the Seahawks have much of the patterns and tendencies of BA's offense figured out.

What concerns me about BA's offense is how long it takes QBs to get comfortable with---and how simple, logical plays such as throwing the fade pass or backside shoulder pass to Fitz in the red zone are almost never called. Have we seen one red zone fade pass to Fitz all year? The Saints throw 2-3 to TE/WR Jimmy Graham a game and with great success because it is such a difficult pass for one CB to defend, and in the red zone teams don't have safety help over the top of the back corners.

I feel certain that getting behind 14-3 caused BA to push the issue a little more than he had intended to. And I do think that if the defense forces a punt when the Cardinals had closed it to 14-6 that we would have seen Kerwynn Williams sent in to spearhead the next drive...but again the 2-3 score differential at 21-6 with realistically only 3 possessions left (4th quarter) prohibited BA from running the ball at that point.

The other thing is---on the Cardinals' very first possession---why were Lindley's first two targets to Ted Ginn, Jr.? The first one, fine. Ginn has been getting open on the deep out in recent games. But the second one on third and long---with Richard Sherman covering him no less---was a real head-scratcher. BA has the first 20 plays mapped out---which makes that third and long pass to Ginn Jr. all the more questionable.

Glad you pointed out the good play of TE Darren Fells. And boy did Marion Grice make such a good catch while getting plastered on that 3rd down conversion.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No quick hook for Logan for me. Let's see it the whole game. I'm more than likely a complete fool, but I somehow think Thomas will fare better than Lindley did. Not so much because he'll be playing against the 9ers and not the hags, but just by default.... Lindley is just so bad. How he can even be on someone's practice squad just eludes me. Did Kiem just tell Arians that he's all ya got, brah, so run with it. For all I know, it could have been a GM decision. It was an epic fail by all accounts. Everyone hates Ginn, but he probably could have done better.

I was an even bigger fool last week thinking Arians could come up with a game plan for Lindley's skill set that would give the team some kind of chance. Wait, did use skill set and Lindley in the same sentence??? Just kill me now....

Enough of that Lindley hate... c'mon Logan, show me sumpin' sumpin' this week. Enough to stay on the roster next year, at least for crying out loud. I don't want to see some Tangodancer deer in the headlights act. Nut it up, Cardinal up, gut check, earn your check.... anything????

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Enough of that Lindley hate... c'mon Logan, show me sumpin' sumpin' this week. Enough to stay on the roster next year, at least for crying out loud. I don't want to see some Tangodancer deer in the headlights act. Nut it up, Cardinal up, gut check, earn your check.... anything????

I hope he shows well too, but I believe that BA already knows that he has very little in Logan Thomas, or he would have started against the Hawks.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope he shows well too, but I believe that BA already knows that he has very little in Logan Thomas, or he would have started against the Hawks.
BA said, I believe today, that he just needs to see what Logan can do if needed in the playoffs. All that tells me is that Lindley never hits the field again for the Cardinals. BA just wants to know what Logan can do well, if anything, in case he ever has to use him going forward. He knows what Lindley can do, which is nothing.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
What we saw from BA's offense, Catfish, was not nearly what I expected going into the game. I thought for sure that he would see the utmost need to increase FB Robert Hughes' role---(1) because the only way to run on the Seahawks is to create isolation blocks on the Seahawks' LBers, including SS Cam Chancellor when they drop him onto the box. The Seahawks' LBers are fast and quick, but not very physical at the POA---when opposing offenses design double down isolation plays versus those LBers, it nullifies their ability to fly around and make plays---(2) Hughes, as we have seen in a few situations, is quite a weapon as a pass receiver and is particularly adept at getting open on play action passes.

I expected to see a steady diet of runs from Kerywnn Williams, not Stepfan Taylor, because you need to beat speed with speed.

Moreover, I expected to see BA try to exploit slot matchups with John Brown---who has been largely under-targeted in recent weeks.

I did expect BA to take some deep shots---and as you said---if the Cardinals hit on a few of them, it might have been a different story. And---they sure came close. The drop by Michael Floyd didn't help (but his nice catch over Richard Sherman and the earlier PI call certainly did)---and then when BA tried to hit gold on an unsuspected wheel route from Jaron Brown, the Seahawks were all over it. I got the sense that the Seahawks have much of the patterns and tendencies of BA's offense figured out.

What concerns me about BA's offense is how long it takes QBs to get comfortable with---and how simple, logical plays such as throwing the fade pass or backside shoulder pass to Fitz in the red zone are almost never called. Have we seen one red zone fade pass to Fitz all year? The Saints throw 2-3 to TE/WR Jimmy Graham a game and with great success because it is such a difficult pass for one CB to defend, and in the red zone teams don't have safety help over the top of the back corners.

I feel certain that getting behind 14-3 caused BA to push the issue a little more than he had intended to. And I do think that if the defense forces a punt when the Cardinals had closed it to 14-6 that we would have seen Kerwynn Williams sent in to spearhead the next drive...but again the 2-3 score differential at 21-6 with realistically only 3 possessions left (4th quarter) prohibited BA from running the ball at that point.

The other thing is---on the Cardinals' very first possession---why were Lindley's first two targets to Ted Ginn, Jr.? The first one, fine. Ginn has been getting open on the deep out in recent games. But the second one on third and long---with Richard Sherman covering him no less---was a real head-scratcher. BA has the first 20 plays mapped out---which makes that third and long pass to Ginn Jr. all the more questionable.

Glad you pointed out the good play of TE Darren Fells. And boy did Marion Grice make such a good catch while getting plastered on that 3rd down conversion.

Mitch, I wonder if BA wasn't fooled by Lindley. I know that I saw more than one report from other Cardinals players about how Lindley was slinging it during practice during the week and hitting his receivers. I think that Fitz was even one of those who said this, if my memory is not failing me. It might be that Lindley is one of those guys who can practice well, but completely loses it in real game time. Otherwise I can't come up with any reason for BA to believe that he would do something special in the game, (although a couple of key drops were not of any help).

So far as Kerwynn Williams is concerned, I really wonder if he wasn't more hurt than BA let on. Even if healthy though, with Cam Chancellor in the box most of the time, running just didn't seem to be the way to go. I suspect he felt that Lindley could throw enough to get Chancellor out of the box, but that never happened. BA might be saving Williams for the playoffs, (or at least until we get Stanton back at QB). I just don't know, and am as perplexed as everyone else at how the Seattle game developed. I am especially concerned with the lack of in-game AND half-time adjustments on defense. I thought our defense was out played and out coached in this game. That is unusual, but then every one has an occasional bad game, even defensive coaches. This game may just have been a freak occurrence all the way around.

So far as Ted Ginn Jr. is concerned, I just don't see how BA continues to stick with him. He is nearly worthless in my opinion, both as a receiver, and as a special teamer. He constantly gives up field position, and makes the most horrible of decisions on when to fair catch and when to run.

Darren Fells should be a keeper on our TE corps for next year. He has really come into his own of late, and might be the best we have right now. He can be relied on to both block and catch passes, a very rare commodity for the Cardinals at the TE position.

You are absolutely right about Marion Grice, (and I completely left him out). He not only had the fantastic catch, but was very sound in blocking in the backfield along with Taylor.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I wonder if BA wasn't fooled by Lindley. I know that I saw more than one report from other Cardinals players about how Lindley was slinging it during practice during the week and hitting his receivers. I think that Fitz was even one of those who said this, if my memory is not failing me. It might be that Lindley is one of those guys who can practice well, but completely loses it in real game time. Otherwise I can't come up with any reason for BA to believe that he would do something special in the game, (although a couple of key drops were not of any help).

So far as Kerwynn Williams is concerned, I really wonder if he wasn't more hurt than BA let on. Even if healthy though, with Cam Chancellor in the box most of the time, running just didn't seem to be the way to go. I suspect he felt that Lindley could throw enough to get Chancellor out of the box, but that never happened. BA might be saving Williams for the playoffs, (or at least until we get Stanton back at QB). I just don't know, and am as perplexed as everyone else at how the Seattle game developed. I am especially concerned with the lack of in-game AND half-time adjustments on defense. I thought our defense was out played and out coached in this game. That is unusual, but then every one has an occasional bad game, even defensive coaches. This game may just have been a freak occurrence all the way around.

So far as Ted Ginn Jr. is concerned, I just don't see how BA continues to stick with him. He is nearly worthless in my opinion, both as a receiver, and as a special teamer. He constantly gives up field position, and makes the most horrible of decisions on when to fair catch and when to run.

Darren Fells should be a keeper on our TE corps for next year. He has really come into his own of late, and might be the best we have right now. He can be relied on to both block and catch passes, a very rare commodity for the Cardinals at the TE position.

You are absolutely right about Marion Grice, (and I completely left him out). He not only had the fantastic catch, but was very sound in blocking in the backfield along with Taylor.

I think you are absolutely right that BA thought Lindley might catch fire---and the reports were that he was doing just that in practice---but like Allen Iverson said so memorably---"we talkin' bout practice, man---not a game---we talkin' bout practice."

I feel bad for Lindley in a way in that he had one chance to prove it versus that awesome Seahawks defense on national TV with so much at stake in the game. He tried really hard to compete in that game, but the speed of the game was too quick for him, as is the case for 95% of inexperienced QBs. If this doesn't work out, I hope he can go to the CFL and get into a groove and then try to make it back to the NFL. Experience is the greatest teacher---and he really needs to adjust to the speed of the game.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BA said, I believe today, that he just needs to see what Logan can do if needed in the playoffs. All that tells me is that Lindley never hits the field again for the Cardinals. BA just wants to know what Logan can do well, if anything, in case he ever has to use him going forward. He knows what Lindley can do, which is nothing.

Obviously coach has his own agenda, but this why I want Thomas to play the whole game. Personally, I don't care if he stinks as much as I never want to see Lindley on the field in an NFL game again... unless he's playing for the hags, 9ers or Rams.

On a personal note, I want to apologize to my homeboy Andy440, who always is welcoming to any Cardinal fan at his tailgate, even Brazilian axe murderers. While he was extremely skeptical of Lindley, I told him, relax brah, it's all good, he'll show up. I have a pinched nerve in my back and I had to take oxy just to make it to my game seat and even that didn't dull the pain of my stupidity. I'm an idiot, brah, my bad. :D

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Obviously coach has his own agenda, but this why I want Thomas to play the whole game. Personally, I don't care if he stinks as much as I never want to see Lindley on the field in an NFL game again... unless he's playing for the hags, 9ers or Rams.

On a personal note, I want to apologize to my homeboy Andy440, who always is welcoming to any Cardinal fan at his tailgate, even Brazilian axe murderers. While he was extremely skeptical of Lindley, I told him, relax brah, it's all good, he'll show up. I have a pinched nerve in my back and I had to take oxy just to make it to my game seat and even that didn't dull the pain of my stupidity. I'm an idiot, brah, my bad. :D

I've said a lot of dumb things before, but this isn't one of them: Logan will play the entire game.

BA wants to see Lindley on the field less than we do. He needs to grade Logan in a game just in case he ever has to use him this year. Even one or two positives in Sundays game is more than Lindley provided and something he and Tom Moore can work with.

We all wanted Lindley to do well. Because we love the team. But he fooled BA in practice.

They used to have these football shows, can't remember the name, like 35-40 years ago, maybe they still do it, I watched them as a kid, but the QB's would throw at targets and moving ones at different depths and do all these drills, and there would always be some bad QB who could hit them all and as a kid I'd be like why is that guy not playing?

Lindley is one of those guys. Some dudes can hit all the targets and do well in practice but once they get into a real game the speed is just too much, all they see is flashes of moving color from jerseys and they have no clue what they're looking at. For some QBs time actually slows down for them in their head during a game, that's what adrenalin does. For others it's just a flash of color and nonsense. That's Ryan Lindley.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I've said a lot of dumb things before, but this isn't one of them: Logan will play the entire game.

BA wants to see Lindley on the field less than we do. He needs to grade Logan in a game just in case he ever has to use him this year. Even one or two positives in Sundays game is more than Lindley provided and something he and Tom Moore can work with.

We all wanted Lindley to do well. Because we love the team. But he fooled BA in practice.

They used to have these football shows, can't remember the name, like 35-40 years ago, maybe they still do it, I watched them as a kid, but the QB's would throw at targets and moving ones at different depths and do all these drills, and there would always be some bad QB who could hit them all and as a kid I'd be like why is that guy not playing?

Lindley is one of those guys. Some dudes can hit all the targets and do well in practice but once they get into a real game the speed is just too much, all they see is flashes of moving color from jerseys and they have no clue what they're looking at. For some QBs time actually slows down for them in their head during a game, that's what adrenalin does. For others it's just a flash of color and nonsense. That's Ryan Lindley.

While you make be correct about Lindley...I don't think he's played enough for us to know for sure. He didn't look scared to me---I thought he competed very hard---but, he was too anxious and couldn't slow himself down. Of course, the Seahawks' defense tends to do that to veteran QBs as well as young ones. We are talking about throwing into the tightest windows in the NFL under the utmost duress.

The problem is---BA didn't live through that debacle of a season like we did---and I think as long as Lindley is on the Cardinals, unfortunately, he will carry that stigma with the fans (of which i think BA&SK are by now well aware of)---which, imho, is unfortunate because clearly he was totally mishandled early on.

The other thing is---Lindley really doesn't fit the BA QB mold because he's not big or strong enough. Logan Thomas is. The new kid from Cornell, Matthews, has the size...not sure about the strength yet.

As I mentioned earlier I think Lindley should go play in the CFL and build a pro resume.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
While you make be correct about Lindley...I don't think he's played enough for us to know for sure. He didn't look scared to me---I thought he competed very hard---but, he was too anxious and couldn't slow himself down. Of course, the Seahawks' defense tends to do that to veteran QBs as well as young ones. We are talking about throwing into the tightest windows in the NFL under the utmost duress.

The problem is---BA didn't live through that debacle of a season like we did---and I think as long as Lindley is on the Cardinals, unfortunately, he will carry that stigma with the fans (of which i think BA&SK are by now well aware of)---which, imho, is unfortunate because clearly he was totally mishandled early on.

The other thing is---Lindley really doesn't fit the BA QB mold because he's not big or strong enough. Logan Thomas is. The new kid from Cornell, Matthews, has the size...not sure about the strength yet.

As I mentioned earlier I think Lindley should go play in the CFL and build a pro resume.
I don't know man. For me, Lindley has played enough to know what he is. I'm disappointed, because I thought he could be okay... Years ago. Maybe he was ruined by Whisenhunt, destroyer of QBs, I don't know. But it doesn't matter how it happened, Lindley is a bad QB.

I don't think Lindley was scared. He had enough confidence to entice BA to play him and for the team to rally behind him. The game just never slowed down for him.

It's not really his fault. Expecting a practice squad player to come in and compete against a dominating Seattle defense is hard core.

I feel bad for the guy to be honest. Talk about ruining a QB. K9 basically laughed at that, but look at the circumstances he's had to come in and play. Ridiculous. That will destroy any QBs confidence.

He's never in his short career had off season reps and talks with starters, never had preseason reps with starters, never reppd in regular season with starters. He's always asked to come in and be badass with one weeks practice against defenses that are season'd and healthy and angry. That's who he's asked to come in on.

Its not his fault. Unfortunately it probably ruined the man's career, but that's life in the NFL.

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't get the Lindley and game speed issue - I don't thin that is it. I watched the game, if Lindley were ACCURATE, he could have hit on about 50% of his passes. Then he could improve from there - if you guys think game speed causes him to be inaccurate, then you may have a point, but I think he just isn't a good ball thrower when under the lights - game speed or not.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While you make be correct about Lindley...I don't think he's played enough for us to know for sure.

Lindley has played enough for me, though.:) But this is my point about Thomas. If the kid can be any good, let him get the reps and in game experience. He may fail spectacularly also but, to me, this is a no lose opportunity for him. After what happened against Seattle, virtually no one will expect anything out of the QB position against the 9ers on Sunday... by no one I mean the fans, media etc. not necessarily the team and coaches. What the heck if he has a horrible game? We'd more than likely get more of the same from Lindley.

Let the bullets fly. If he's horrendous, well, we have our practice squad QB position locked up for next year. Ha!

Edit to add: I know the game this week could have major importance should the hags lose, so I'm not suggesting Thomas should be thrown out there with no intent to win the game.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard