Gambo says...

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to trade KT and a first to Charlotte with the understanding that Charlotte would waive him. Then, after he clears waiver the Suns pick him up for the minimum? The Suns could save 16 million dollars by moving one pick. Charlotte only has his contract on the books for one year and gets a late first rounder.

For some reason, that sounds illegal.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Would it be possible to trade KT and a first to Charlotte with the understanding that Charlotte would waive him. Then, after he clears waiver the Suns pick him up for the minimum? The Suns could save 16 million dollars by moving one pick. Charlotte only has his contract on the books for one year and gets a late first rounder.
I thought the league made a rule against trading a player, having that team waive him, then that player rejoins his old team for a reduced price.

Didn't they do something about that after the Boston/Gary Payton thing that happened 3 years ago?

Anyway, why would Charlotte drop him anyway? He could help that team and would be a good mentor for Omeka for a year.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would the Bobcats do that? They'd basically give up a high pick for a low pick and have a contract on their books for a player that isn't on their team. How does that work for them?

How is Charlotte giving up a high pick?

KT + #24 or #29 for Charlotte's cap space.

Charlotte is not giving up a pick in my scenario. Essentially Charlotte is buying a 1st round pick for 8 million. That does sound pretty steep since we sold one last year for a lousy 3 million.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
How is Charlotte giving up a high pick?

KT + #24 or #29 for Charlotte's cap space.

Charlotte is not giving up a pick in my scenario.

Oh, so you just want the Suns to give up everything for cap space.

NO freaking thanks. Sarver is willing to pay the luxury tax to win the championship. The above trade does absolutely nothing to support that assertion. I still think, if it were legal, Charlotte would totally balk about paying 9 million dollars for the #29 pick.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, so you just want the Suns to give up everything for cap space.

NO freaking thanks. Sarver is willing to pay the luxury tax to win the championship. The above trade does absolutely nothing to support that assertion. I still think, if it were legal, Charlotte would totally balk about paying 9 million dollars for the #29 pick.

You are probably right, but I'm just brainstorming.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score

I think the league would figure that out Stern would lay down the wrath of God against us - as usual.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo says Suns are talking to the agent of PJ Brown and are bringing in Chris Mihm for a workout in Vegas.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Gambo says Suns are talking to the agent of PJ Brown and are bringing in Chris Mihm for a workout in Vegas.
Good, I was hoping they'd be at least talking to Brown. Either this is Plan B if Hill goes elsewhere, or maybe Thomas is on his way out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I actually wouldn't mind either one of those players for a minimum.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good, I was hoping they'd be at least talking to Brown. Either this is Plan B if Hill goes elsewhere, or maybe Thomas is on his way out.

That's what he said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best possible scenario in my opinion is that we ship out KT, which gives us the full MLE to split between Hill and Brown with a net savings of 4 million dollars. It allows us to still have another big body with Brown, who's not as injury prone as KT has been the last two years and we can get Hill by offering him more than the vet min, which could swing his opinion and show how much we value him.

edit: ugh, now I'm thinking too much like the Suns. Brown is 38, not nearly as good of a shooter as KT and really is just cheaper. you can't nickle and dime your way to title when you're as close as we are.

Get Hill signed, keep the rest of the core intact and go take what should have been ours last year!

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
WOW
WOW
WOW

Gambo is SUCH an idiot when it comes to basketball. It just said that Darko is a bigger bust than Sam Bowie, is worse than Allan Houston, and Chris Mihm. Does this guy know ANYTHING about basketball? Please someone get this bafoon off the air.

I don't think Darko is coming to Phoenix. Darko started to pick it up this year, and I think will be a serviceable player in this league.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
WOW
WOW
WOW

Gambo is SUCH an idiot when it comes to basketball. It just said that Darko is a bigger bust than Sam Bowie, is worse than Allan Houston, and Chris Mihm. Does this guy know ANYTHING about basketball? Please someone get this bafoon off the air.

I don't think Darko is coming to Phoenix. Darko started to pick it up this year, and I think will be a serviceable player in this league.
That is pretty bad. Darko is a bust in terms of where he was drafted, but I don't think he's anywhere near Bowie in that regard.

Darko to PHX won't happen either. He'll command way too much money, and I don't think we're looking to take any long deals.

Did Gambo say something about him coming here?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Did Gambo say something about him coming here?

No, it was a listeners suggestion. Gambo is also going on and on about how PJ Brown is soooooooo much better than KT, I think they are a bit of a push. PJs taller I think and probably a better blocker, but KTs a bit better on the boards and extremely fundamentally sound.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd definitely like Brown, since between him and Thomas, one should be able to be healthy most of the time.

Actually I don't really see any way to dump Thomas now, unless he's a pawn in a large trade. His salary is too big for the Suns' own 2008 pick to be used as a bribe, and if they sell the Atlanta pick, they might as well raise the white flag while they're at it.

Mihm will get more than a minimum offer from someone.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
No, it was a listeners suggestion. Gambo is also going on and on about how PJ Brown is soooooooo much better than KT, I think they are a bit of a push. PJs taller I think and probably a better blocker, but KTs a bit better on the boards and extremely fundamentally sound.
Gotta love some of the callers. Someone the other day suggested trading Marion and Kurt for KG, and then going out and signing Zach Randolph, who isn't even a FA. Some people live in fantasy world.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He will be about 14 mil cheaper including luxury tax (assuming we sign PJ). I'm not talking about their skills on the court, which I think that KT is marginally better.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The upside with KT is that he's a MUCH better shooter. The downside with Kurt is that PJ has been historically healthier than KT the last three years. However, the upside is that KT is only 35 years old, whereas PJ is 38 years old. But the upside is that he comes with a free-frogurt!

bottom line, he's cheaper, and serviceable, but all things put together, KT is still the better fit for this team helping them to win a chip.

HooverDam

Reaction score
bottom line, he's cheaper, and serviceable, but all things put together, KT is still the better fit for this team helping them to win a chip.

Don't tell me, call Gambo. He's going on and on, making KT sound like Joe Klein and PJ Brown sound like Kevin McHale.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell me, call Gambo. He's going on and on, making KT sound like Joe Klein and PJ Brown sound like Kevin McHale.

I don't know how many times that guy has made me want to put my fist through the radio.

Exactly what does it take to get on the radio these days?

I don't know much about football, baseball etc...but his knowledge of basketball is sad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard