Gambo says...

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
the other rumors involves Marion and our 29th pick for the 4th pick and Mike Miller and Stomile Swift.

That's a spectacular trade for the Suns, and therefore pretty unlikely to happen.

Ha, but then check this out: The Suns then swing the #4, Diaw, Thomas, Banks, Piatkowski, the ATL pick, and cash to Minnesota for Garnett.

Stoudemire/Swift
Garnett/Stoudemire
Miller/Hill
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Koponen (#24)

That team is pretty good.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm still a bit confused about the Memphis "rumor". Is this a "real rumor" (such a concept) or just speculation on the part of Suns fans due to Iavaroni being there?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Ha, but then check this out: The Suns then swing the #4, Diaw, Thomas, Banks, Piatkowski, the ATL pick, and cash to Minnesota for Garnett.

Stoudemire/Swift
Garnett/Stoudemire
Miller/Hill
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Koponen (#24)

That team is pretty good.
You my friend, deserve a medal!!

Errntknght

Reaction score
SteelDog,
After reading the rule, my interpretation is that you in fact cannot waive a trade kicker just to waive it. If the salary from a deal is within the 125% you cannot waive the kicker. The only time you can is if waiving it will bring you within the 125% so that a deal can get done.

IIRC, it said that only enough of the trade kicker is waived to put the deal at 125%.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
That's right. So the funny thing is that, in a hypothetical Garnett trade, it wouldn't matter to the receiving team whether a small contract was included as well, because they have to pay the money anyway. Either they pay it to Garnett for his kicker, or they pay it to the other player and reduce Garnett's kicker to make up for it. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but it's not too far off, depending on the specifics.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Stoudemire/Swift
Garnett/Stoudemire
Miller/Hill
Bell/Barbosa
Nash/Koponen (#24)

Guys, just give me one freaking example when two dominant post-scorers of Amare and KG caliber ever co-existed.

Just one. Please.

DevilsFan

Reaction score
Guys, just give me one freaking example when two dominant post-scorers of Amare and KG caliber ever co-existed.

Just one. Please.

Kareem and Worthy.

Yes, Worthy was dominant in the low post. His spin move was nearly as unstoppable as Kareem's skyhook

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Well, personally, I look back at the lineups of the 90s:

NYK: Ewing-Oakley-Mason
POR: Duckworth-Williams-Kersey
SEA: Cage-Kemp-Schrempf (or McKey)
HOU: Olajuwon-Thorpe-Herrera

If you go to the 80's:

BOS: Parrish-McHale-Bird
PHI: Dawkins-Barkley-Erving

I'm probably missing a couple, but the point is that these were BIG lineups with varying degrees of star power....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SteelDog,

IIRC, it said that only enough of the trade kicker is waived to put the deal at 125%.

It basically states that if waiving the trade kicker would bring the salaries withing the 125% then it is allowed. However, if the salaries already match in the 125% range then the player cannot waive the trade kicker.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We're not talking about trying to find ways to put Barkley and Hakeem on the floor, two guys who want the ball on the low block. Amare and KG are both elbow guys, but KG has more low-post skill than Amare. Besides the fact KG is athletic enough with a mid-range game, he would be far more productive than any other big you could put next to Amare.

Heavy D

Rookie
Reaction score
What Gaddabout said. Also, I think that at this point KG is willing to be the 2nd option, if it means winning a title. We already know Nash doesn't care about scoring. With Nash orchestrating, I'm sure he can keep both guys happy.

mribnik

Reaction score
Wrong one, IMO.

In 1999 Robinson wasn't dominant anymore, and he obviously let Duncan to take over.

Between KG and Amare who would sacrifice his touches for the other?

17.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.26 bpg, 1.21 spg. Could it be that he wasn't as dominant (AS being the key word, those stats are impressive) because he let Duncan take over? Doesn't that disprove your point?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17.8 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 2.26 bpg, 1.21 spg. Could it be that he wasn't as dominant (AS being the key word, those stats are impressive) because he let Duncan take over? Doesn't that disprove your point?

I agree. David had plenty of game left when Duncan first got there. I watched plenty of their games and they had shared the load. They both had plays run to them.

mribnik

Reaction score
It could but you forgot to answer my question.

I didn't forget, it doesn't really matter. The point is that there have been instances of two dominant post players co-existing. That's what you asked for.

mribnik

Reaction score
I'm not so sure.

KG wants to play for the Suns. I think that's a good indication that he's willing to be the second option.

Besides, it's not like the Suns just throw the ball down to Amare and let him work. The first option is to give the ball to Nash and let him create the best shot for the team.

DevilsFan

Reaction score
Worthy was a jump-shooter SF who had nice post-up moves as well. He wasn't a low-post scorer.

Worthy a jump-shooter? Are you kidding?

If anything, Worthy was a small forward who could run the floor and finish the break, but he was also a dominant post scorer.

I suppose next you'll try to tell me Michael Jordan wasn't a low-post scorer.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really don't see Garnett as primarily a low-post scorer. If we were talking Stoudemire and Randolph (for instance) it would be completely different. Garnett is really a SF in a seven-foot frame.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, personally, I look back at the lineups of the 90s:

NYK: Ewing-Oakley-Mason
POR: Duckworth-Williams-Kersey
SEA: Cage-Kemp-Schrempf (or McKey)
HOU: Olajuwon-Thorpe-Herrera

Oakley wasn't even a scorer, not to speaking about dominant.

If I add Duckworth and Williams, I still don't get a dominant scorer.

Cage?

Thorpe was far away from being dominant.

BOS: Parrish-McHale-Bird
PHI: Dawkins-Barkley-Erving

Parrish-McHale: good one.

Do yo consider Dawkins big with 6'2? Still PHI had the old Moses Malone and the young Barkley and they qualify too.

mribnik

Reaction score
I really don't see Garnett as primarily a low-post scorer. If we were talking Stoudemire and Randolph (for instance) it would be completely different. Garnett is really a SF in a seven-foot frame.

I agree.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard