Froholdt

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Can't one of the top 10 picks be from the team we traded the prior year. Doesn't mean the Cards are the team that's sucking.

If the Cards determine KM is the QB going forward then next year can deliver extra 1st Rd picks for the next couple years. Those picks could be from teams that suck and will be drafting high again. The cycle continues.
Absolutely, if that's the case, it would be a consideration for me. If they determine otherwise, it could be a perfect storm to get a Peyton Manning and a...well, a Marvin Harrison in the same draft. That would be wild!

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
So if you had the chance at drafting both Mahomes and Fitzgerald (the equivalent to of course) in 2024 if you had picks 1 & 2 that seems like a no brainer.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Absolutely, if that's the case, it would be a consideration for me. If they determine otherwise, it could be a perfect storm to get a Peyton Manning and a...well, a Marvin Harrison in the same draft. That would be wild!
Check out Drake Maye. While most people are talking up Caleb Williams, I like Maye better. He's bigger, but also pretty damn fast too. Plus he is putting up big numbers at Chapel Hill which isn't exactly the same caliber of USC.

Side note: I'm going to be applying to USC at the end of the year, so I might be a Trojan in the near future.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So if you had the chance at drafting both Mahomes and Fitzgerald (the equivalent to of course) in 2024 if you had picks 1 & 2 that seems like a no brainer.
Only if you know he's Mahomes. If Kyler shows anything we probably fleece someone selling that pick. Trade down and keep the extra 1st rounders train going for as long as we can. If we're going to be paying a QB top money then we'll just have to get the rest of the team on rookie deals, wheeling and dealing for days. Then when we can't resign some of those guys, we get comp picks for MORE rookie deals.

Of course trading Kyler and drafting Caleb isn't a bad option either.

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Check out Drake Maye. While most people are talking up Caleb Williams, I like Maye better. He's bigger, but also pretty damn fast too. Plus he is putting up big numbers at Chapel Hill which isn't exactly the same caliber of USC.

Side note: I'm going to be applying to USC at the end of the year, so I might be a Trojan in the near future.
Chapel Hill isn't USC, but Mack Brown has been getting some major recruits there and coaching them up. They had a bunch of great guys drafted in 2020.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said it in my earlier post: the NFL is designed to approach mediocrity. Three-win seasons are an outlier. 25 teams last season finished with seven wins or better. I've said it many times, but you have to try to be bad in the NFL.

Don't care anything about power rankings or NFL expert opinion at this time of year. Many people thought that the Commies and Seahawks would be the worst in the NFL at this time last year and had the Broncos or Chargers pencilled in for the Super Bowl.

If Kyler comes back before Week Seven and Jonathan Gannon can do his job, it's really hard to imagine the Cards being a four-win team without real shenanigans. If you think that Kliff and Keim were handicapping this team by three wins a year, how do you do much worse, even without J.J. Watt in the lineup?

The average first-time head coach last year won 7.67 games.

I think it's doubtful we only win 3 games but it's also doubtful we win 7. I think the same goes for the Texans. Statistically speaking 6 or less wins picks top 10.

If you had to put money on it right now would you bet against both picks being in the top 10? Do you see either team getting 7 or more wins?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Big year for Maye this year now that Longo has gone. Longo has been taking much of the blame for what Maye hasn't been doing so well, probably rightly so, but this year should show everyone what he truly is in a much better offense.

Stout

Reaction score

Side note: When I was at Penn State in '94, the first game was against USC. The hot girls in front of us wanted to get on TV and had signs that said "We'd rather be pawed by Lions than ridden by Trojans." Our super quiet, super shy buddy said, "You know, you'd have a better chance of getting on TV by sitting on our shoulders." That was a great game, and a great evening :)

Thanks, Frank, wherever you are now!

Stout

Reaction score
Only if you know he's Mahomes. If Kyler shows anything we probably fleece someone selling that pick. Trade down and keep the extra 1st rounders train going for as long as we can. If we're going to be paying a QB top money then we'll just have to get the rest of the team on rookie deals, wheeling and dealing for days. Then we can't resign some of those guys, we get comp picks for MORE rookie deals.

Of course trading Kyler and drafting Caleb isn't a bad option either.
Some posters are getting giddy with possibilities that'll never happen. If teams could keep getting extra first rounders for years and years at a time, do you think Monti is the first one who thought about doing it? We're not going to have a 5-10 year gravy train of top picks, guys.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it's doubtful we only win 3 games but it's also doubtful we win 7. I think the same goes for the Texans. Statistically speaking 6 or less wins picks top 10.

If you had to put money on it right now would you bet against both picks being in the top 10? Do you see either team getting 7 or more wins?
I think the highest probability outcome is we have 2 picks between 5 and 10. Next-highest is one pick between 5-10 and one outside it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If teams could keep getting extra first rounders for years and years at a time, do you think Monti is the first one who thought about doing it?
the Eagles have come close

it started in 2021 when the traded down from 6 to 12 with Miami and got Miami's 2022 1st

In 2022, they packaged that 1st rounder, plus their own and traded it to New Orleans for their 1st that year, their first in 2023, NOs 2nd in 2024 and other later round picks

this year, the streak was broken when they actually used both 1sts

I dont know if there was a method to this madness (the Eagles trade draft picks in great volume) -- but it appears that while building, if the trade made sense they kept deferring the extra first rounder to the next year until his championship window was open and was losing players in FA

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
the Eagles have come close

it started in 2021 when the traded down from 6 to 12 with Miami and got Miami's 2022 1st

In 2022, they packaged that 1st rounder, plus their own and traded it to New Orleans for their 1st that year, their first in 2023, NOs 2nd in 2024 and other later round picks

this year, the streak was broken when they actually used both 1sts

I dont know if there was a method to this madness (the Eagles trade draft picks in great volume) -- but it appears that while building, if the trade made sense they kept deferring the extra first rounder to the next year until his championship window was open and was losing player in FAs.

If the trade makes sense, sure. If we end up with picks 1 and 2 and we need a QB as well, I don't see a world in which trading one of those picks would make any sense. You go QB and MHJ.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the highest probability outcome is we have 2 picks between 5 and 10. Next-highest is one pick between 5-10 and one outside it.

Yeah I think 2 in the 5-10 range is most likely.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I don't see us being the 5th worst team in the league. I just don't. Most of the early power rankings I have seen have as rated at #32. With a poor OL and a poor DL and little chance of improvement and KM return a big question mark, I see very little hope this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't see us being the 5th worst team in the league. I just don't. Most of the early power rankings I have seen have as rated at #32. With a poor OL and a poor DL and little chance of improvement and KM return a big question mark, I see very little hope this year.
The schedule could help with that. We could easily go 1-5 in the division, 1-3 against the NFC East, and 0-4 against the AFC East.

The problem will be games against the Falcons, Bears, and Texans.

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Washington, Falcons, Bears and Texans are the only games I see us having a chance of winning. Does not mean we win all 4 games. I don't see us winning a division game. could happen but not likely. I see are upside at 2 wins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Last year the Falcons were ranked last and drafted 8th. The Jets were bottom 3 and drafted mid teens. The Giants were 28th and Jags 27th and made the playoffs.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The schedule could help with that. We could easily go 1-5 in the division, 1-3 against the NFC East, and 0-4 against the AFC East.

The problem will be games against the Falcons, Bears, and Texans.
It will be curious to see how much Murray actually plays and if he stays healthy with a weak center. How slick would it be to expose him to injury so the record would be worse.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It will be curious to see how much Murray actually plays and if he stays healthy with a weak center. How slick would it be to expose him to injury so the record would be worse.
That's the issue, I think. If the offensive line is a catastrophe I'm guessing you just shelve Murray for the year. You can roll him out over and over and over again, but you're not going to break his bad habits doing that.

If Kyler can't do anything in camp, I think it's going to be extremely hard to get him competitive during the season. Joe Burrow has been offline for two consecutive offseasons and talks a lot about how he had to get his eyes right and struggled at the start coming back both years.

The best-case scenario is that Kyler's cleared for non-contact work and can participate in training camp. We take two QBs + Kyler into the regular season with one on the practice squad. Then Kyler gets the classroom reps and some practice reps to start understanding a pro offense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meaning nothing, especially if we have nothingburgers for him to contend against. I for one would be very disappointed to see this outcome. I'm sure Kyler would be too.
Right. If he beats out a second year late draft pick converted guard who barely played and a rookie 4th round converted guard that just means he’s better than those low pedigree guys. Nothing more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You are are cashing it in. That's like saying you don't really make anything from investments because it's not real cash in your hand even though the dividend checks keep on rolling in.

Let's say we had a top 3 pick next year and there is Williams, Maye and Penix Jr at the top of the draft. You turn that pick into say #12, #44 and two future firsts and a player then you turned your 3000 draft points into 8000 draft points. You spend the #12 and #44 and have the rest invested in the future.

You can't do it forever, the time will come (hopefully) where your picking too late for it to keep working but essentially what Monti is doing is investing draft capital to turn it into greater draft capital.
Yup. This is the argument earlier.