Free Agency

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree on Anderson..fully on board with the "Anderson no matter what" brigade.

But I also see the value possibilities in a trade back.
Aaron Donald is a franchise cornerstone, he was drafted at 13.... for the sake of simplicity, Kancy...same school, same position, same basic body type.... could be had in that same area... if we were to trade back and grab Kancey and he is legit AD 2.0, then we also manage to get a starting Corner out of the deal, and maybe a OG......... in the long term that is far better for the team.
why?? when Anderson is at such an impactful position? Because when you only have 1 guy, a single injury can take him off the board. But had you gone the other route and made good picks...Kancey could get injured and that sucks... but you still have a starting CB and OG. In the longterm, getting more quality players just has a better chance of stability for your team. But you have to hit on those guys and that isnt easy to do.

Team is more important than a player. Teams across the league are stacked with single great players that do nothing on bad teams.

Myles Garrett is probably the best Edge in the league over the past 6 years and has one winning season in 6.

I'd be fine drafting Anderson. I'd also be fine trading back and getting Kancey, Bresee, or Van Ness and a bunch of extra picks. Plus there are some very nice Edge guys in round 2.

Strong argument to be made for us taking DT in round 1 and Edge in round 2 with one of the picks we get for trading back.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cards will draft about 10 players this season. There will UDFA brought in as well. These players are the beginning and the future of the new look Cardinals. How well Monti drafts and identifies talent will be a big part of how long the pain lasts.

Next season the Cards will add 8 more or so players via the 2024 draft. They will also be able to start targeting several key Free Agents. Hopefully by then Kyler will be back to 100%. This is the season where if all goes well the Cards are competitive enough to Compete for a wild card spot.
So if the Cards don't draft, say, eight players next month, are you going to go Darksider and say this front office doesn't know what they're doing?

The Cards currently have six selections in the 2023 NFL draft. The first four of them are likely going to be only contributors on a bad 2023 team.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Team is more important than a player. Teams across the league are stacked with single great players that do nothing on bad teams.

Myles Garrett is probably the best Edge in the league over the past 6 years and has one winning season in 6.

I'd be fine drafting Anderson. I'd also be fine trading back and getting Kancey, Bresee, or Van Ness and a bunch of extra picks. Plus there are some very nice Edge guys in round 2.

Strong argument to be made for us taking DT in round 1 and Edge in round 2 with one of the picks we get for trading back.
The issue with this DT class is it is a riskier group. Carter's issues are obvious. Breese has an injury history. Kancey is a size outlier. Van Ness was best on the outside in college and I don't believe projects inside in an even front.

Mazi Smith in round 2 might be the safest spot to upgrade our DT position though he might not be there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Look, I get why some people are pissed because they wanted to to keep both.

What I don't get is the over the top rage for a couple of average to above average guys. Surely they can be pissed and also understand why it happened from multiple sides?

This is such a ridiculously purposefully inflammatory exaggeration it does nothing but hurts the ASFN environment.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You lack the ability to read between the lines. What he is saying is Anderson is one player. If you could trade down and end up with say a center, cb an edge and a Dt would that be better value for the overall roster rather than 1 player.
What you just typed doesn’t equate to “luxury player.”

Also this: if all those guys are even average it’s likely not better value than getting a top flight passrusher.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Nothing about reading between the lines has to do with that. Just an overall typical BritCard post.

Also, that one player could bring a bigger impact than those other players combined. In which I, & plenty others on here, believe is the case with Will Anderson. Will is a building block at the 2nd most important position in the league. You build around him.
Borg

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The issue with this DT class is it is a riskier group. Carter's issues are obvious. Breese has an injury history. Kancey is a size outlier. Van Ness was best on the outside in college and I don't believe projects inside in an even front.

Mazi Smith in round 2 might be the safest spot to upgrade our DT position though he might not be there.
Considering how long it usually takes for a DT to develop when they are not clear blue chip prospects im thinking that loading up on a few guys with potential from the UDFA pool might be our best bet... if we get edge that can penetrate we really only need big bodies that can drive back an IOL a couple yards. Basic space eaters.
Just seems with the talent after 34 our picks are better spent on IOL, TE, CB, RB, or tier 2-3 edge prospects.
That damn 34 pick...DT, OC, OG, CB, TE...all hard to pass on there. Because the choices for each get really limited by round 3

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you just typed doesn’t equate to “luxury player.”

Also this: if all those guys are even average it’s likely not better value than getting a top flight passrusher.
I’m not advocating a trade down. I do like the thought of being able to fill 3 spots with very good players.
I.E. Watt= a great player. One player = 4 wins.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Heck. I was one of them. This is definitely surprising to me if it comes to fruition. But sometimes $$ truly talks I guess.
I mean, it could be a million different things...maybe he has family in the area, maybe he has a relationship with other coaches, etc. As a general rule, money is a safe motivational choice, but not always the reason people make decisions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose