Free Agency

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe this franchise put a dollar amount of Allen/Murphy like they did with Kirk the year prior and wasn't willing to go past it? Maybe he isn't a fit for the defense they want to run now. I have no insider knowledge, so I don't know.

For the record, I wanted to keep Allen.
That's not "rebuilding." How does this move support your assertion that the Cards decided they don't have enough talent to compete and so they rebuild?

I mean, Gannon has talked a lot about letting the players on hand define the scheme, so the idea that neither guy is a scheme fit doesn't hold much water if you take Gannon and staff at face value.

If it's about money and not wanting to spend it, I totally agree it's a driving force.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except he's one of those "have to" players. Our own young developed talent. Letting those players walk is a mistake. Letting those players walk and then compounding it by trading down simply to fill holes in the roster that you've helped make, using draft capital better used elsewhere, and then hoping those picks work out is a bigger mistake.
Stout, again I hear you. But it’s apparent this regime is going to clear salary on this team. They are going to clear older incumbents like Ertz and Connor. They aren’t thinking this year at all. They can watch and see what draft picks develop and start adding to this roster next year and then go crazy in 2025. It SUCKS. I’m going on 70 this year. I don’t like the idea of looking forward to 2025.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
More ammo to trade up to #3 for the third QB. :)
Vegas is definitely doing something...All the FA's they've signed/targeted are getting deals with 1 year outs (Jimmy G, Meyers) or just a short deal (Epps 2 years). Jimmy G looks splashy on paper, but it's really a B type contract signing.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then gimme a rookie or another backup looking for a shot. Dude ain't worth real money, especially in a tank season. This is one instance where I'm okay keeping our powder dry lol
Mike White got 2 years, $16M for Miami.

Now that top QBs are getting close to $50M and replacement-level guys are getting over $20M, backups who can win you a few games as starters have become a lot more expensive than you're expecting.

Card4Life

Rookie
Reaction score
Center, is one of the many positions that we need to fill. With Hudson likely retiring, that leaves us without a signed C on the roster I believe (as Billy Price is a FA). Looks like most of the FA centers out there have resigned with their current teams (Pocic, Kelsey, Boseman, Brendel, Bradbury). Wonder if the plan is to roll with BP, or start a rookie at C next season? I was hoping that we would pick up someone in FA, but not holding my breath.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Is it though? Would any of these signings really move the needle more than a game or two? I'm in a full rebuild mode of the roster for the next 12-24 months. You can decide at that time whether Kyler is a part of that rebuild.
If Kyler's part in this team's future was up in the air, he should have been unloaded immediately.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Center, is one of the many positions that we need to fill. With Hudson likely retiring, that leaves us without a signed C on the roster I believe (as Billy Price is a FA). Looks like most of the FA centers out there have resigned with their current teams (Pocic, Kelsey, Boseman, Brendel, Bradbury). Wonder if the plan is to roll with BP, or start a rookie at C next season? I was hoping that we would pick up someone in FA, but not holding my breath.
I think we take one of the top centers in the drsftz

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I hear ya. But this club is not about to tie up money for anybody on this team that they don’t have to. Maybe they figure that trading down can land them. Breesee(sp).
Yeah...if this is their plan, it is a stupid one. It is all a shell game to avoid accountability. If you have a pathetic enough fanbase, "We are going young" gets you a year or two. "You have to give the draft picks time to develop" and "the draft is not an exact science" gets you another year or maybe two. The the injury, bad scheme, and other excuses come out. rinse and repeat.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score