Free Agency

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s face it. One or two or three or even four free agents are not going to make us competitive. We are going young. We will add speed at RB in the draft. Probably 5th or 6th round. I’m beginning to think we will go with a couple of o-linemen, a couple of d-linemen ( or edge) and a cb. With our first 5 picks.
Micheal Gallup just restructured his contract maybe setting him up for a trade? Gallup and a 3rd to the Cards for Hopkins would alleviate the immediate need for a Wr but is young enough to be part of this for a few years.
DISCLAIMER! I could be totally wrong. Lol!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Let’s face it. One or two or three or even four free agents are not going to make us competitive. We are going young. We will add speed at RB in the draft. Probably 5th or 6th round. I’m beginning to think we will go with a couple of o-linemen, a couple of d-linemen ( or edge) and a cb. With our first 5 picks.
Micheal Gallup just restructured his contract maybe setting him up for a trade? Gallup and a 3rd to the Cards for Hopkins would alleviate the immediate need for a Wr but is young enough to be part of this for a few years.
...except we just let a young gun on D walk.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...except we just let a young gun on D walk.
I hear ya. But this club is not about to tie up money for anybody on this team that they don’t have to. Maybe they figure that trading down can land them. Breesee(sp).

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There are several pretty decent RB's in FA, between 25-27 years of age, who'd be good candidates for 3 year deals, with only 2 being guaranteed...so as not to screw the cap when the team is ready to roll down the road.

Miles Sanders
D'Onta Foreman
Ronald Jones II
David Montgomery
Devin Singletary
Jamaal Williams
Rashaad Penny
Damien Harris

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I hear ya. But this club is not about to tie up money for anybody on this team that they don’t have to. Maybe they figure that trading down can land them. Breesee(sp).
Except he's one of those "have to" players. Our own young developed talent. Letting those players walk is a mistake. Letting those players walk and then compounding it by trading down simply to fill holes in the roster that you've helped make, using draft capital better used elsewhere, and then hoping those picks work out is a bigger mistake.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several pretty decent RB's in FA, between 25-27 years of age, who'd be good candidates for 3 year deals, with only 2 being guaranteed...so as not to screw the cap when the team is ready to roll down the road.

Miles Sanders
D'Onta Foreman
Ronald Jones II
David Montgomery
Devin Singletary
Jamaal Williams
Rashaad Penny
Damien Harris
I get it but I highly doubt we sign a FA rb.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is it though? Would any of these signings really move the needle more than a game or two? I'm in a full rebuild mode of the roster for the next 12-24 months. You can decide at that time whether Kyler is a part of that rebuild.

Hardy Drive is very eager for their fan base to accept a non-competitive season.

I don't understand why people find it so difficult to understand that there's no rebuild when you have a franchise quarterback on a veteran contract. There's only reloading and finding ways to maximize that quarter-billion-dollar investment.

The Browns didn't punt on 2022 or 2023 because Deshaun Watson was suspended.

In the next two seasons Zach Allen should be reaching his peak as an NFL player. Unfortunately, he's going to be doing that with another franchise.

Re-signing your players finishing their rookie contracts is rebuilding.

Re-signing Kelvin Beachum for his age-34 season is not rebuilding.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Drive is very eager for their fan base to accept a non-competitive season.

I don't understand why people find it so difficult to understand that there's no rebuild when you have a franchise quarterback on a veteran contract. There's only reloading and finding ways to maximize that quarter-billion-dollar investment.

In the next two seasons Zach Allen should be reaching his peak as an NFL player. Unfortunately, he's going to be doing that with another franchise.

And the Browns still sucked :) lol

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not sure exactly what you are saying here. Where is the sarcasm pointed in these three sentences? Legit asking. Not sure if these are sarcasm or straight posts.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are saying here. Where is the sarcasm pointed in these three sentences?
There's no sarcasm intended in any part of that post.

Once you decide you have a long-term QB, there is no "rebuild." There's only building around the foundation of your franchise QB.

Rebuilding teams are trying to get the personnel in place to support a future quarterback, or to align their talent with the moment their young quarterback matures to compete for a super bowl.

This is the season we have maximum cap flexibility, because Kyler's cap charge is just $16 million. His cap hold goes up to $51 million in 2024. We have 21 players under contract in 2024 if you don't count the ghosts of Rodney Hudson and A.J. Green.

That number will go up because we'll have a draft class, but without signing some young players expected to reach their prime in 2024, the window is always perpetually two years down the road.

The front office loves that because its easier to tell a story that greatness is just around the corner than actually achieving greatness.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Basically, Double A Ron wants the Jets to bring in the Packers offense...lol

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no sarcasm intended in any part of that post.

Once you decide you have a long-term QB, there is no "rebuild." There's only building around the foundation of your franchise QB.

Rebuilding teams are trying to get the personnel in place to support a future quarterback, or to align their talent with the moment their young quarterback matures to compete for a super bowl.

This is the season we have maximum cap flexibility, because Kyler's cap charge is just $16 million. His cap hold goes up to $51 million in 2024. We have 21 players under contract in 2024 if you don't count the ghosts of Rodney Hudson and A.J. Green.

That number will go up because we'll have a draft class, but without signing some young players expected to reach their prime in 2024, the window is always perpetually two years down the road.

The front office loves that because its easier to tell a story that greatness is just around the corner than actually achieving greatness.
Fair. I think that we are stuck with Kyler one way or another. I also think that this new staff knows we do not have enough talent to compete so you rebuild. I think Gannon and Co. would rather Kyler's contract not be on the books.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
we do not have enough talent to compete so you rebuild
Please explain the logic of "rebuilding" by letting go of your players who probably have their best football ahead of them but retaining players who likely have their best football behind them.

A true rebuild starts with casting off the likes of James Conner and Zach Ertz who likely won't be around to help you compete in a few years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please explain the logic of "rebuilding" by letting go of your players who probably have their best football ahead of them but retaining players who likely have their best football behind them.

A true rebuild starts with casting off the likes of James Conner and Zach Ertz who likely won't be around to help you compete in a few years.

Maybe this franchise put a dollar amount of Allen/Murphy like they did with Kirk the year prior and wasn't willing to go past it? Maybe he isn't a fit for the defense they want to run now. I have no insider knowledge, so I don't know.

For the record, I wanted to keep Allen.