Free Agency

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If there’s a running free agency topic, I apologize for missing it. The Cards lost an option yesterday when Washington tagged Daron Payne. He has the potential to grow into a massive force in the middle of a DL. Had the Cards been able to snag him they could have grabbed Anderson in round 1, thus dramatically elevating their defense. Since I can‘t see the Eagle letting Hargrave get away, that strategy is no longer available. This also further raises the critical importance of re-signing Allen. It also raises in my mind the necessity of taking Carter in round 1.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I would prefer not to break the bank in FA this year. I dont think we will be competitive in 23 regardless....so might as well look towards the future. I would add as much talent through the draft this year as possible, give it a year to see how the new schemes work, and then be ready to pounce on FA's that compliment our core in 2024.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer not to break the bank in FA this year. I dont think we will be competitive in 23 regardless....so might as well look towards the future. I would add as much talent through the draft this year as possible, give it a year to see how the new schemes work, and then be ready to pounce on FA's that compliment our core in 2024.
Turn this man's microphone up!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Harry what are you hearing on how far Carter could slip in the draft. I’m thinking if we did trade down to no farther than 10 we could still land him and a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe so but at what point in the draft do you take that chance. I’m still on the Will Anderson band wagon but if the Cards trade down for extra picks and can still get the top DT in the draft I would be all for it.
I understand what you’re saying, but it would fly in the face of EVERYTHING that Michael, MO, and JG have said that they wanted in rebuilding & rebranding this franchise.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry what are you hearing on how far Carter could slip in the draft. I’m thinking if we did trade down to no farther than 10 we could still land him and a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
I agree with PAC, he’s off the Cards‘ board unless some surprising results come out of Carter’s discussions with the police.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the Cards will trade out and take a cb with their 1st pick. With the additional pick(s) they will go edge and Dt.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the amount of holes that the Cardinals need to fill, I doubt that they could afford Payne or Hargrave.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think any big FA moves this year. Maybe someone like Bradberry but that's it.

What would be the point?
Setting us up for 2024 while keeping the fans engaged. I don't endorse making signings just to keep the fans happy, but why not pen a solid free agent to a long-term contract? Long-term being the key. If we pay big money for a Keim-time short timer, I agree that would be dumb.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Setting us up for 2024 while keeping the fans engaged. I don't endorse making signings just to keep the fans happy, but why not pen a solid free agent to a long-term contract? Long-term being the key. If we pay big money for a Keim-time short timer, I agree that would be dumb.

Yeah totally agree. Assuming the player is young and still in their prime. It wouldn't make sense to bring in a high price FA who was in their 30s though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I rescind the Bradberry comment. Just saw he's expected to him $15m per.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Core?

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I know what your saying...but I would assume that the "core"...even for these new coaches and a GM that didnt draft them would include

Murray on offense. *(man that cupboard is bare...I mean the only other "core" offensive player might be Hollywood Brown or Rondale Moore, and I have no idea if they will be on the team in 2 years)

On defense....Budda,Thompson, Collins, Allen (if resigned), Murphy (if resigned),

And then our top draft picks from this year.

I guess looking at it you are pretty much right! But my point is that you hopefully add 2-3 players to that core through the draft, and then you go into 24 with a better idea of what kind of team we have.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I know what your saying...but I would assume that the "core"...even for these new coaches and a GM that didnt draft them would include

Murray on offense. *(man that cupboard is bare...I mean the only other "core" offensive player might be Hollywood Brown or Rondale Moore, and I have no idea if they will be on the team in 2 years)

On defense....Budda,Thompson, Collins, Allen (if resigned), Murphy (if resigned),

And then our top draft picks from this year.

I guess looking at it you are pretty much right! But my point is that you hopefully add 2-3 players to that core through the draft, and then you go into 24 with a better idea of what kind of team we have.
TOTALLY.

On defense I think Jalen, Zavon,Marco, and hopefully Zack Allen. If they add Wil anderson to that then thats a nice start

Offense to me is bone dry

Its Murray and ???? I guess McBride?? i cannot include Rondale Moore in on any list unless that list is for oft-injured borderline busts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose