For you young guys

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
Connie was on the team when I 1st started following the Suns. He had a amazing schools.
He was as good as Dr. J. He was banned from joining the NBA until he was 29 due to alleged associations with gamblers. He was later found innocent of all charges. By that time he was robbed of his most athletic years. NBA lawyer David Stern argued against him joining the NBA. He was an amazing player. What would he be like taking passes from Steve Nash. I think he still works for the team in public relations

HooverDam

Reaction score
Barkley of course had the better NBA career since Connie was banned, so its a hard comparison to make. Barkley also played against vastly superior competition than Connie did, so again its a tough comparison. Comparing players across eras is silly and fun, but not something that can be done seriously with much accuracy.

But if I had to create an all time Suns team Charles and Connie would certainly be my starting forwards (Amares the Center, Nash at the point and Walter Davis at the 2 by the by).

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barkley was the best hands down. Especially, considering he was an undersized PF in this league competing against better talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry Nance and Walter Davis cannot be far behind.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone waive the ball around in one hand like that. One handed rebounds in traffic? Crazy.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Im not even 30, but I respect what the Hawk did for the Suns and basketball for that matter.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Love the Hawk. He should have had more years in the NBA, but I'm glad the Suns were around when he got there...

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
He was the best Suns forward ever

I'm old enough that I saw both in their prime. Connie was the greatest Sun and possibly one of the all time forwards in the game. He could literally do it all and almost effortlessly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'm old enough that I saw both in their prime. Connie was the greatest Sun and possibly one of the all time forwards in the game. He could literally do it all and almost effortlessly.
Interesting thread. And it sure brought back memories of the Hawk (as well as Dr. J).

As far as Suns all-time, if you take it position by position, it would be Connie Hawkins at PF and Walter Davis at SF. And the Chuckster's four years would not make the first team.

Y'know what? Even if it were just a case of picking two Forwards, I'd still take the Hawk and Sweet D. A very small part of Barkley's career was as a Sun.

And most of Walter Davis' career was as a Small Forward.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^No way, start Davis at the 2. At 6'6'' he's on the small side for a 3 but a really nice size for a 2.

My all time Suns roster would be

C Stoudemire/Nance/Adams
PF Barkley/Chambers
SF Hawkins/Van Arsdale/Marion
SG Davis/Westphal/Majerle
PG Nash/KJ/Kidd

Coached by Cotton or D'Antoni.

Obviously a lot of the forward/center positions would be interchangeable. The Suns never have had a great true Center of course (statistically Shaq the last few years was probably the best, but Ill never really consider him a Sun) so the team would be small, fast and tons of fun.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson