Fishing Advice

Discussion in 'Great Outdoors' started by Hollywood, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SO91

SO91 Registered

Thanks a lot for the info, I'm gonna look into a 4 piece rod instead.

2. SO91

SO91 Registered

Thanks man, I'll go with one like this instead.

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

https://tforods.com/traveler-rods/

Looks like prices have gone up since I last looked. I love TFO rods my 2nd flyrod was a TFO. My dad and I later got to know the CFO of the company he was on multiple trips to Loreto we were on. IN fact I think the 3 piece spinning rod I have he actually gave me for free I don't think I had to buy it. Works really well and it's a 3 piece so still pretty small when broken down.

Another tip, spinning rods in multi piece take bigger rod cases than bait casting rods do, the reason is the first guide on a spinning rod, the one closest to the reel, is MUCH larger than the first guide on a casting rod. It's because of how flat the line lays to the rod with a baitcast reel compared to a spinning reel. So no matter what when broken down, the spinning rod takes up more room because of the size of that guide.

So if space is a big concern, if you can cast a baitcasting reel well, get a baitcaster setup./

I personally can't stand baitcasting, just drives me nuts trying to thumb the line and prevent overruns, I can spin cast, I can fly cast, but I've never been any good at baitcasting get overruns regularly, or no distance if I don't get an overrun. Good casters with bait casters make it look easy, for whatever reason I don't.

4. SO91

SO91 Registered

I was just watching a Youtube video on baitcasting! They look so easy and smooth casting those, and the one time I tried it I made a giant mess of it. I apologized to my buddy and never was allowed to touch it again.

I'll have to look at those rods. It's not so much space as length, a problem I'm unfamiliar with :D. I wanna be able to put it in a pack or in the box of a Ranger, for example. I saw a sweet setup yesterday that someone made. They used pvc pipe to make rod holders sitting right behind the backseat of a Ranger crew. Rods looked to be under 6' long, so they didn't have to be broken down.

5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

That is my experience too. Bass fishermen make it look simple both for distance and accuracy, and stuff like flipping, but for me it ends up a birdnest.

I used to have a rodholder setup hanging from the ceiling inside my Tahoe but one of the rods dropped down and hit my girlfriend on the head so I was required to take it down (-:

I think most people fish with rods in the 7 foot range so a 3 piece rod is about 2.5 feet long when broken down.

6. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

You guys need to get with the times... who needs accuracy??? use a drone!!

Linderbee likes this.